Pray that there is not a missing passenger

MsSoCalCruiser

I hope so, too. When we were on a cruise last year, they made announcements in the cabins about a medical evacuation that was going to take place. Being awakened in the middle of the night on a cruise is not fun. Hope you got back to sleep.

I hope so, too. When we were on a cruise last year, they made announcements in the cabins about a medical evacuation that was going to take place. Being awakened in the middle of the night on a cruise is not fun. Hope you got back to sleep.

It scared us so much that I flew out of the bed and was on my feet. When you hear... Attention, this is the captain from the bridge... You know it has to be bad.

I was almost asleep and the captain made a 4th announcement about 5 minutes ago. They are looking for a female passenger.

Edited by MsSoCalCruiser

The very same exact thing happened on our only sea day 2 weeks ago onboard the Carnival Imagination. The ship-wide/in-cabin announcement came at 5:20am. The young lady manning the Guest Service Desk told me if the missing passenger was not found, then an actual headcount would be done. There was a flurry of activity by security personnel around the Passenger Services Desk. Luckily, the "missing" passenger was found.

A missing pax on a cruise ship is a very serious matter and has to be addressed immediately because they may have gone overboard. While it may be an imposition on other pax, it is necessary to immediately commence a shipwide search and yes a physical headcount may be required. Normally what they will do is to immediately look at the video cameras' recordings to see if the missing pax can be spotted going over the side of the ship in addition to looking on the ship itself. I am always happy when the pax is found onboard.

With the implementation of *****, they can immediately detect where the medallion is located on the ship (or not) and go to that location to find the missing pax all without broadcasting it to the entire ship and disturbing sleeping pax.

Glad she was found. How would they know someone went missing in the middle of the night? I can understand someone missing after leaving a port if they didn't make it back in time. But just randomly in the middle of the night? Did someone report her missing? How could she not have heard her name 4 times if she was just out for a walk/snack? So weird...

Glad she was found. How would they know someone went missing in the middle of the night? I can understand someone missing after leaving a port if they didn't make it back in time. But just randomly in the middle of the night? Did someone report her missing? How could she not have heard her name 4 times if she was just out for a walk/snack? So weird...

Probably someone reported her missing. Maybe they woke up and realized their cabin mate wasn't there and they were worried so they reported it.

We've never had that happen on a cruise, but once we were awoken about 3 in the morning by the bridge telling us there was a fire. Talk about getting your adrenaline going!! They kept us updated frequently, and it was quickly dealt with. However, it was quite a while before we could fall back asleep!

The captain just made a 5th announcement and SHE HAS BEEN FOUND!!!!! He stated that she was in good condition.

We can all go back to sleep. Good night from the Ruby Princess.

Thank goodness! I had chills just thinking about what could have happen!

I am hard of hearing and take my hearing aids out at night, I would not hear any announcements.

I advise the front desk of this when boarding, and my cabin steward.

I've had one emergency where they actually came into my room (bad water leak) and woke me up

With the implementation of *****, they can immediately detect where the medallion is located on the ship (or not) and go to that location to find the missing pax all without broadcasting it to the entire ship and disturbing sleeping pax.

Maybe, Mine will be in an RFID protected wallet that I won't be using, I don't like the idea of the Medallion.

We were awakened on a cruise with the alarm blasts and then the Captain sounding very nervous and reporting a fire, telling certain personnel where to report. My first reaction was to jump out of bed, be glad it was daylight, and get our stuff ready (warm clothes, meds...what they tell you at the drill). We were then apprised every ten/fifteen minutes (locating the fire), found the fire, contained the fire, etc. It DOES get the adrenalin rushing. This was the second day of the cruise and a sea day. I would like to say we went back to sleep, but we didn't. We got up then, happy that all was resolved.

I am hard of hearing and take my hearing aids out at night, I would not hear any announcements.

I advise the front desk of this when boarding, and my cabin steward.

I've had one emergency where they actually came into my room (bad water leak) and woke me up

I might be mistaken, but don't handicapped cabins have flashing lights that signal a phone call and/or emergency?

A missing pax on a cruise ship is a very serious matter and has to be addressed immediately because they may have gone overboard. While it may be an imposition on other pax, it is necessary to immediately commence a shipwide search and yes a physical headcount may be required. Normally what they will do is to immediately look at the video cameras' recordings to see if the missing pax can be spotted going over the side of the ship in addition to looking on the ship itself. I am always happy when the pax is found onboard.

IMO, that's giving up a lot of personal freedom for the very few times there's a missing passenger. I'm not comfortable with "big brother" knowing my every move on the ship. No thank you.

There is always the possibility that it is a case where the passenger suffers from dementia and has wandered off in the night.

Or in the case was what we experienced one time on Royal Caribbean, there were several announcements made about a missing teenage girl. The captain came over the PA into the staterooms starting at 1:30 AM and continued until they found her. She was in some other passenger's bed and her poor parents were freaking out as she was only 16 and they had no idea where she was. Finally, after 5 or 6 announcements, they found her alive and well (and hopefully, very embarrassed) at 3:15 AM. It was a long sleepless night but still, the captain did the right thing!

Serious, and inconvenient for all. It happened on one of our cruises and the woman was found. She was elderly and had had a fight with son & daughter in law. She tucked herself in under a dining room table in the MDR. The whole ship was awake. (This explanation was circulated widely over the next 24 hours, maybe true, maybe not) They must have been taken ashore the next day because the captain made several hilarious announcements in the following days. Her name was Ruby and for example, he sang a few bars of "Ruby, Don't take your love to town" Unlikely he would have been wisecraking if the guest and her family were still aboard.