Drink package discount?

garner384

I have tried to search, but did not find an answer. We are new to Celebrity. Does Celebrity ever offer discounts on drink packages before a cruise? We are in an inside and are considering the Classic package, I know RCCL often offers a 20% discount a couple months before a cruise. Anything similar here?

Thanks!

Sent from my moto x4 using Forums mobile app

On our TA last year there was a 72hr sale a few weeks before the cruise and we paid half price.

I was hoping for a similar deal this year but those with far more experience say these sales are usually just for TA & repositioning cruises.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On our TA last year there was a 72hr sale a few weeks before the cruise and we paid half price.

I was hoping for a similar deal this year but those with far more experience say these sales are usually just for TA & repositioning cruises.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Makes sense the discounts would be on those cruises since there are never any perks included with them.

Thanks to Cruise Critic we became aware of a 50% off sale on beverage packages that applied to last fall's Eclipse TA. We paid @$37 pp per day for premium. I recall that internet and specialty dining were also discounted during the sale.

My suggestion is to be a daily, if not more frequent reader, of this forum to see if anyone posts information about any new, but typically short-lived, Celebrity sale.

We are hoping one pops up that applies to our repositioning cruise next year.

• 1 year later...

Hi all. 

Im new to cruising and I wondered what it means to say celebrity only gives discount on drinks packages if your on a TA cruise or repositioning cruise? 

And how would I look out for a discount if it comes up or be notified please? 

thanks 

Edited by Archer5

The Alcohol package is the only reason we book OV cabins instead of inside cabins.  And it's pretty much the biggest reason we stay with Celebrity.  That, along with our big online TA covering the gratuities, makes X the cheapest cruise line we can find.  AND we like them better than most.  Winner winner, chicken dinner.

50 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

I received a 50% discount for my TA this November...I found out through my roll call and a friend.  I also have another perk through the big box store...

So what does TA mean please? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jkgourmet said:

The Alcohol package is the only reason we book OV cabins instead of inside cabins.  And it's pretty much the biggest reason we stay with Celebrity.  That, along with our big online TA covering the gratuities, makes X the cheapest cruise line we can find.  AND we like them better than most.  Winner winner, chicken dinner.

I have booked an outstanding de veranda room but no drinks package included. Is there usually? 

Thabks 

17 minutes ago, Archer5 said:

So what does TA mean please? 

Sorry!  TA = Travel Agent/Travel Agency.  OR  TA - Transatlantic/Repositioning Cruise.  The abbreviation applies to both. 

Re: drinks package.  Depends on when you book it - they do frequent promotions.  Depends on how you book it - there are fares that are lower, but have no perks included.  When we do the math, taking the price of an inside cabin, then adding the daily cost of the classic alcohol package for both of us, it's ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS cheaper to book an OV (ocean view) cabin when they are including the perks. 

Perks are very rarely offered on TA cruises - sometimes they discount the alcohol package, but that's about it. 

(If you're in the UK, my comments should be ignored - I have no idea what they do over over there.  I just know it's different rules.)

It's all clear as mud, huh?  🙂

Edited by jkgourmet

39 minutes ago, George C said:

We always get drink package but on our cruise next week they want 69 dollars a day which is highway robbery,  I typically pay under 50 . I am in a suite so we will just drink in micheals.

Same here. They want 69 dollars too which I think is highway robbery also. 

4 hours ago, George C said:

We always get drink package but on our cruise next week they want 69 dollars a day which is highway robbery,  I typically pay under 50 . I am in a suite so we will just drink in micheals.

For $300 total or $75 a day  total could you could have upgraded to a RS and received the Premium drink package for two.  Even better than $50.

7 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

For $300 total or $75 a day  total could you could have upgraded to a RS and received the Premium drink package for two.  Even better than $50.

Or booked during a frequently offered promo, 'downgraded' to an ocean view, and saved thousands.  Probably enough for another cruise.  🤐

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

Agree but our celebrity suite came with 4 perks including premium drink package

8 hours ago, George C said:

3 hours ago, George C said:

Agree but our celebrity suite came with 4 perks including premium drink package

Confusing, but that is easy when one is getting ready for a cruise.

November cruise last year on Equinox, 10 day, they offered discount of 20% which could apply to package as a whole or if you wanted to upgrade an existing package (like if you had classic as a perk).  I had booked way out and the discount offer emailed to me started long before sail date and I already had classic perk.

Fast forward to Edge cruise this Sunday, have an inside cabin with no perk (booked less than 2 months before sail date) and have been hoping to get similar offer but have not seen any discount offer (though they keep sending me the 'not too late' emails about beverage package).  I don't know if it's sales quota met like others have mentioned, or if the Edge is just being marketed differently to get a baseline for future sales approach, or if it's due to it being so close to sail date and the ease off promotions when it gets closer?

As someone else mentioned, pay attention to those mailings from Celebrity and especially to all the wealth of information here, but don't expect that someone posting 'hey there is a discount on beverage package now' will apply to your sailing as not everything is fleet wide with this kind of stuff, much (if not all) is targeted.

Edited to add that I did end up deciding to just pay for the package anyway.  When you add up what you can drink in a day, and I am not talking just alcohol, it doesn't take much to be ahead and this removes the overthinking if I want a drink.  I am on vacation and want to enjoy the week thoroughly.  I like the premium beer too and they are $10 each so do the math, have a few of them and coffee and bottle water, Perrier,  and a fancy drink here and there, oh and I like my Coke 🙂  So others can say highway robbery esp at regular price, yep I agree, but it's relative to what you will pay for drinks on board and that too is highway robbery and you will not escape it ... unless you choose not to drink too much of anything and that seems sad to me since I only sail once a year.  Oh and I am not Elite so no free drinks for that either.

Edited by poffles
  • Like 1

Poffles, it sounds like we had the same parents, went to the same college, and cruise the same way.

In your last paragraph, Your logic and math are spot on.  I'll only add that there is another value to getting a package:  not even thinking about ordering - or returning something you don't like.  It's a HUGE vacation for my cheapskate brain, and is one of the reasons that we go on cruises.

I'm regard to those emails offering discounts, I've detected something.  I never get the ones that offer discounts on my bookings.  NOT ONE SINGLE TIME IN FIVE CRUISES.  I get plenty offering something that I have to pay for. 

I find out about discounts on here (usually too late).  Maybe it's because we ONLY book inside or OV cabins?  Maybe because we only book when there is a good promo?  Maybe because we book with a large, online TA who covers our gratuities (presumably, at a discounted cost)?  Maybe it's because we're not Elite?

who knows - but I believe it's an example of selective marketing.  

Edited by jkgourmet
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jkgourmet said:

Poffles, it sounds like we had the same parents, went to the same college, and cruise the same way.

In your last paragraph, Your logic and math are spot on.  I'll only add that there is another value to getting a package:  not even thinking about ordering - or returning something you don't like.  It's a HUGE vacation for my cheapskate brain, and is one of the reasons that we go on cruises.

You must be a wonderful person then and have wonderful parents and I'll add that you must also have great taste 👍 hahahahaha!  Ironically my parents seldom drink (some in their younger years) so I veered a little left on that one as I am not in younger years anymore and I like my brew or 2 or 3.

And OH YES ... that too about sampling 🙂  I don't officially return, but I have left a few full glasses on a table around the corner with just a sip out of them.  Others would think me a fool, but it is often because they are too strong.

Happy cruising all!  🍻 🍹🍾

• Like 1
  • Haha 1