Cancelling Standard Tips

Potty Terracotta

So the service was average, but you were glad you had tipped?

And that is why the automatic service charge is a terrible idea.

Oh good grief - just to translate our original post: No one was amazingly wonderful or was head and shoulders above everyone (as you sometimes get). Infact, everywhere we sat in the dining room the staff were all equally good. If we had cancelled the tips (as we had on Britannia) and not given them as we went along it would have been wrong. We were pleased that we had left them on on this occasion.

Can we please not turn a tipping thread in to an critical argument.

It did seem a strange choice of words about being glad he left the tips on because the service was just okay.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

He's a she and have posted my response to this -- I should have said that everyone was good but no one outstanding so we were happy (hubby and I) to give them all a little something.

Hope that clarifies it all

How much do people tip the cabin stewards or is this in the auto tips

After all of the debates on here re cabin stewards I asked specific questions at the Reception desk about the cabin steward being able to keep the tip and if it was an autotip did they get it. They assured me that they did.

We also gave some additional tips because he was brilliant. We also left some extra in the envelope (in another envelope) for his 'helper' - the poor bloke who was carrying and fetching everything for him. Not sure the cabin steward liked it as he told me that he was 'Just his helper who fetched and carried things for him'. (His face said it all) In my eyes this lovely man (we saw often) was also helping us so we gave him a small tip.

I really don't think that you need to worry about how much --- it is up to you

He's a she and have posted my response to this -- I should have said that everyone was good but no one outstanding so we were happy (hubby and I) to give them all a little something.

Hope that clarifies it all

Sorry for my mistake.

I always prepay and i agree service is always good but never outstanding.

RCI D+. Princess Elite.P&O Atlantic.

Sorry for my mistake.

I always prepay and i agree service is always good but never outstanding.

Sorry to be ratty .... hubby says its hormones or age :D:D:D. The tipping thread always brings out the worst in me :')

In the past we have had some outstanding service and just wanted to give additional and had requested the area of the dining room every evening so ended up paying auto tips and our own. This time everyone was good, but no one stood out. We were pleased that we had paid auto tips and did not give additional. If that makes any sense at all.

:)

Sorry to be ratty .... hubby says its hormones or age :D:D:D. The tipping thread always brings out the worst in me :')

In the past we have had some outstanding service and just wanted to give additional and had requested the area of the dining room every evening so ended up paying auto tips and our own. This time everyone was good, but no one stood out. We were pleased that we had paid auto tips and did not give additional. If that makes any sense at all.

Makes absolute sense, and seems an entirely rational decision. Perhaps the thread can now be closed as everyone has been extremely civil, which is unusual on a tipping thread!

Perfect sense.

The cruise line and the crew prefer that so i always leave autotips on.

Sometimes on tipping threads it doesn't matter what you say someone will pick fault and i ofren wonder why i bothered so i agree with you.

Makes absolute sense, and seems an entirely rational decision. Perhaps the thread can now be closed as everyone has been extremely civil, which is unusual on a tipping thread!

.....oooh...what a challenge!

But agreed! I never post on tipping threads normally....but I see I have on this one! :'):')

Actually Tui is German - Ja? 😁😁

Ja das ist korrekt. TUI's Headquarters are in both Berlin and Hannover.

TUI stands for "Touristik Union International".

As P&O are owned by Americans, Land Rover by Indians and our chip shop by a bloke from Cyprus I suppose it doesn't really matter much these days. ;p

Can you cancel the automatic tip charge on P&O ships if you are Anytime diners. We usually go fixed dining and you can vary tips on fixed but not sure about anytime dining. Info appreciated

Yes you can cancel them if you wish. It is possible to vary them too, to another amount at reception like £15.00 per person to save messing about with handing over extra cash in envelopes. It's much more efficient as you don't waste envelopes.

Regards John

Yes you can cancel them if you wish. It is possible to vary them too, to another amount at reception like £15.00 per person to save messing about with handing over extra cash in envelopes. It's much more efficient as you don't waste envelopes.

Regards John

To save paper RC stopped giving you paper vouchers for your prepaid gratuitys to hand out to the relevant crew.

Strangely it didn't stop them giving you envelopes to put additional tips into.

UK D+ member.

After all of the debates on here re cabin stewards I asked specific questions at the Reception desk about the cabin steward being able to keep the tip and if it was an autotip did they get it. They assured me that they did.

We also gave some additional tips because he was brilliant. We also left some extra in the envelope (in another envelope) for his 'helper' - the poor bloke who was carrying and fetching everything for him. Not sure the cabin steward liked it as he told me that he was 'Just his helper who fetched and carried things for him'. (His face said it all) In my eyes this lovely man (we saw often) was also helping us so we gave him a small tip.

Your cabin steward was probably miffed because (I've heard) it's not uncommon for them to "employ" crew members to help them out. The payment, I would assume, comes partially out of their tips.

After all of the debates on here re cabin stewards I asked specific questions at the Reception desk about the cabin steward being able to keep the tip andif it was an autotip did they get it. They assured me that they did.

Funny when we had an awful cabin steward on Oriana but great waiters I asked at reception if we could cancel auto gratuity and just paid gratuities in cash to the waiters we were told that cabin steward would still get a share because they have to hand cash tips into P&O. There was no way you could exclude just the cabin steward unless you cancelled auto gratuity and gave waiters nothing in cash which is what we did not want to do. P&O suggested leave auto gratuities on and make a formal complaint about the cabin steward which is what we did.

Funny when we had an awful cabin steward on Oriana but great waiters I asked at reception if we could cancel auto gratuity and just paid gratuities in cash to the waiters we were told that cabin steward would still get a share because they have to hand cash tips into P&O. There was no way you could exclude just the cabin steward unless you cancelled auto gratuity and gave waiters nothing in cash which is what we did not want to do. P&O suggested leave auto gratuities on and make a formal complaint about the cabin steward which is what we did.

I think that is by far the best solution.

UK D+ member.

Your cabin steward was probably miffed because (I've heard) it's not uncommon for them to "employ" crew members to help them out. The payment, I would assume, comes partially out of their tips.

He got a decent tip so hope he cheered up after he saw it. The other bloke got a small gesture to recognise that he too had been working flat out for us.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

Your cabin steward was probably miffed because (I've heard) it's not uncommon for them to "employ" crew members to help them out.

To do what?

It takes the cabin steward 15 minutes maximum twice a day to service my cabin, so why on earth would they need assistance.

To do what?

It takes the cabin steward 15 minutes maximum twice a day to service my cabin, so why on earth would they need assistance.

The assistant transports all the laundry and brings the stuff to keep the stewards trolley stocked. they may also take away the rubbish sacks after the stewards fill them . I have heard that there is a historical payment to the helper as part of the below decks culture. They might be fetching and carrying for dozens of stewards.

Another reason why you should prepay your tips.

They work 7 days a week up to 15 hours a day give them a break or they will break.

We should not be responsible for the stewards, waiters etc getting a decent wage. We invariably pay the auto tips ( aka Service Charge ) but we should not be in the position of feeling that we should be paying tips even if the service is poor because of the impact on the hard working staff who are giving a good level of service. P&O need to get real and increase price of the cruise to include the tips and stop this archaic system, if they can't do this then they should make the charges compulsory.

The assistant transports all the laundry and brings the stuff to keep the stewards trolley stocked. they may also take away the rubbish sacks after the stewards fill them.

The bedding now only gets changed once a week so that doesn't need an assistant every day, and a trolley full of towels covers the remainder.

Stuff to keep the trolley stocked? What is there in the room to be replenished in volume.

Taking away rubbish sacks. What on earth are people throwing away in their cabin.

As I mentioned before, the stewards take under 15 minutes twice a day to deal with my cabin. Frankly if someone's cabin is in such a state it takes significantly longer to deal with, the passenger should be told they need to clean their mess themselves.

To do what?

It takes the cabin steward 45 minutes twice a day to service my cabin. A lot of time will be needed to figure out what things are doing there, why has one of those been brought on board, how do you get a cabin in such a state. Have the passengers had a break in? Do you need to pick all the clothes up, if you do where do you put them. Why have they left sunglasses out near a coat hanger on a bed by a towel? Is throwing the towel on the floor but not in a bathroom an indicator that it needs replacement. On the other hand I do not always travel with my teenage daughter.

The tips are a bargain in my opinion.

Regards John