What's the deal with the new John Maxtone-Graham QM2 book?

cruiserking

According to Amazon the new book by John Maxtone-Graham titled Queen Mary 2 with pictures by Harvey Lloyd was supposed to have been released on April 1. That date has been changed.

Apparently several thousand copies were given away to passengers on the QM2 maiden voyage. Does anyone have a clue when this book will be published. I sure would love to read it before boarding the grand ship.

Has anyone out there perused it at all? It's a hot seller on ebay I saw one that went for over $100. Guess I'll have to get my jollies on The Only Way to Cross and scan the boards for any further info.

Cruiserking

7/1 Queen Mary 2 Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;7;1;17;45;00&timezone=GMT-0500

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;12;21;18;45;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Till 12/21 QE2 Caribbean Holiday Cruise

Amazon.com's answer...which doesn't help much:

"...Our latest information indicates that "Queen Mary 2: The Greatest Ocean Liner of Our Time" has not yet been released and the expected release date is not known.

"As soon as a release date has been determined for this item, we will add that information to our web site..."

While you're waiting, you can read a chapter here.

As a point of clarification, it wasn't given to maiden voyage passengers (my partner and I were on the maiden voyage). It was given to persons attending the naming of the ship, I believe, but sadly was not available to passengers on the maiden voyage. Something which we passengers, as well as Mr. Maxtone-Graham, regretted.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>...just in time to take for my onboard read, methinks...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Not.

The book, like the ship, is HUGE. Coffee table size and then some, perhaps.

And, at first glance, the book is magnificent -- with actual, real photos, not computer animations, of the ship.

My first favorite thing (page 159): a lovely painting of QM2/QE2 leaving New York harbor accompanied by motorboats, tugs, and even a fuzzy but discernable Circle Line boat(!). The scene is in the late afternoon sun, with the Statue of Liberty in the background: a timing which has a slightly less than 50/50 chance of occurring IMHO, based on the information we've seen thus far.

The caption reads: "Commemorating the April 2004 evening when QM2 (foreground) sailed eastbound past New York's Statue of Liberty in tandem with QE2."

"History in the making"? Someone's already made it!

• 9 months later...

I checked the Queen Mary II book out of the Jax Fl library last fall.

Like both of Maxtone-Graham's books I've read (and kept), it is

beautifully written, full of history and the amazing visuals of the

Queen being built.

According to Amazon the new book by John Maxtone-Graham titled Queen Mary 2 with pictures by Harvey Lloyd was supposed to have been released on April 1. That date has been changed.

Apparently several thousand copies were given away to passengers on the QM2 maiden voyage. Does anyone have a clue when this book will be published. I sure would love to read it before boarding the grand ship.

Has anyone out there perused it at all? It's a hot seller on ebay I saw one that went for over $100. Guess I'll have to get my jollies on The Only Way to Cross and scan the boards for any further info.

Cruiserking

7/1 Queen Mary 2 Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;7;1;17;45;00&timezone=GMT-0500

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;12;21;18;45;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Till 12/21 QE2 Caribbean Holiday Cruise

You might want to pick up Malcolm Brinnin's "The Sway of the Grand Saloon: A Social History of the North Atlantic". You'll like it.

I ordered and received from Amazon.com my copy of Queen Mary 2 by John Maxtone - Graham last MAY 2004. I paid $35 plus shipping for this beautiful large book of the QM2. It sells for $50 in most book stores as well as in the QM2 bookstore. I assume it is the same book others are referring to on this post and am puzzled why some are stating that it will be out in a few months.

I enjoyed reading the book before sailing on the QM2 for the first voyage to New England/Canada in September 2004. It gave me a better appreciation of the beauty of the ship that I was on and a better understanding of how the ship was put together.

While on board, I purchased a DVD that deals with the construction of the QM2 in France and another DVD of the cruise itself with some additonal information of the "Naming Ceremony".

Terrence

Archived