List of ethical, price reasonable properties for tourists to book in San Juan

Vineyard View

I want to start this thread for people to contribute to with reports of Hotels or Airbnb in San Juan who are acting responsibly and ethically towards tourists. There is too much price gouging from the Hotels who are accepting reservations, too much false reasoning (ie Hurricane damage when there is none) on why they are canceling long held reservations, and too many hotels canceling at the last minute. There are plenty of threads around these issues and it has left a really negative impression of how the Hotels locally (not just corporate) are treating and handling reservations.

I have to believe that there are properties who have not inflated their prices unreasonably, and who are treating tourists with respect - and therefore are earning the right for us all to place them at the top of the list for future visits. Please do not list a property who traditionally charges ‘x’ amount, but you have had to pay so much more for the privilege of having a room to stay in. Please share what the accommodation was like and if you would stay there again once FEMA and all the contractors are finished.

Let’s get a list here that exemplifies what San Juan is about, and the people who walk their talk!

Did anyone see this today? I find it amazing that it makes it sound from the title that hotels in SJ are only surviving because of relief workers. Yes they are definitely a good thing but please there are many tourist that want to stay and can't because the hotels cancel them and fill with relief workers. To me the hotels should have allowed 15-20% of rooms available once cruise ships started sailing out of there. The hotels know the nights people for cruises need rooms as a general rule.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/caribbean-hotels-race-to-save-winter-season-in-storms-wake-1512475201

We are currently staying at Hotel Casablanca in Old San Juan. We booked our reservation through a third party with them back in March or April I think.

I confirmed with them through Facebook in the beginning of November. They were quick to respond, had our reservation and were were looking forward to having us. Confirmed again one week before arrival.

No change in price we paid. Staff has been great. Hotel has power and our balcony room has AC (although we heard there are some rooms without it).

It is a small hotel, basic room. The elevator is not working right now but they will bring your bags up for you. Lots of stairs if you are on the higher floors. Our 2nd time here and we would definitely recommend it.

-kristi

Sent from my VS988 using Forums mobile app