So how cramped are the Grand standard balcony cabins?

elycelynne

Having had my inaugural Princess cruise on the Royal last year where I was quite comfortable in a deluxe balcony cabin, I'm a little apprehensive about the potential lack of space in a regular balcony cabin on the Grand next month. It looks like there's about half as much closet space -- Is that accurate? And are there enough shelves to make up for that lack of closet space? Also, is there at least enough room to move about the cabin without bumping into things?

I guess it's a good thing that there's a balcony to step out onto if I'm feeling claustrophobic! :eek:

Edited by elycelynne
It's good to know one ship from the other!

Having had my inaugural Princess cruise on the Royal last year where I was quite comfortable in a deluxe balcony cabin, I'm a little apprehensive about the potential lack of space in a regular balcony cabin on the Grand next month. It looks like there's about half as much closet space -- Is that accurate?

Yes, The Grand was the first Grand Class ship and it's closet is half the size of what you saw on the Royal. All other Grand Class, Royal Class and the Coral & Island have the full 6' closet.

And are there enough shelves to make up for that lack of closet space?

The Grand has roughly the same size wardrobe closet as the Royal.

Also, is there at least enough room to move about the cabin without bumping into things?

Yes, but no sofa like the deluxe balcony on the Royal.

I guess it's a good thing that there's a balcony to step out onto if I'm feeling claustrophobic!

Your balcony will be 9'x5', except if you are on deck 10 your balcony will be 9'x9'

:eek:

See above

While the Grand is an older ship which does show signs of age, I think you will enjoy the extra lounges, pools. Check out the Terrace Pool.

I prefer the Grand to the Royal, just got off the Royal on 14 cruise... have done many cruises on the Grand... recently I book mini suits on the Grand but when it was brand new l998 I took a cruise from Istanbul to Barcelona in a balcony cabin,very comfortable.. I do believe balcony was bigger than the Royal. It was a long time ago. I am booked again on the Grand on 1/2/18.

I prefer the Grand to the Royal, just got off the Royal on 14 cruise... have done many cruises on the Grand... recently I book mini suits on the Grand but when it was brand new l998 I took a cruise from Istanbul to Barcelona in a balcony cabin,very comfortable.. I do believe balcony was bigger than the Royal. It was a long time ago. I am booked again on the Grand on 1/2/18.

I did the Grand in '16 and the Regal just in October, but it would be difficult for me to go back(wards) to the Grand.

The Regal felt comfortable and enjoyed the giant sized Piazza.

1998 was a good year for many but really enjoyed the newer Regal for so many reasons.

We go back and forth between the Regal and the Grand and each has its own attributes.

We had a small closet in our inside Grand cabin, but the balcony cabin had a full sized closet. We didn’t notice the room size to be materially different. It was nice having a small sofa on the Regal. If you have a Caribe balcony on the Grand, you won’t miss the Royal cabin with its couch.

I did not find the balcony to be that confining. Although we are going on the Grand in June of 2018 and arranged for a premium balcony on Caribe deck as we are traveling with family that has an inside room which means out balcony is going to be ground Zero. The premium balconies on Caribe deck are much larger.

I'm not really concerned with the balcony size -- The small balcony on the Royal was the only thing that I didn't like about that cabin and I know that the standard balconies on the Grand are a bit larger. I'm just one person so I don't need the extra added space on the Caribe balcony. I'm more concerned with closet space and actual room size, but I guess I'll just adjust and fold some clothes that I usually hang. (I will miss the couch, but I'm not about to pay over $1,000 extra for a mini-suite just to get that!)

I'm not really concerned with the balcony size -- The small balcony on the Royal was the only thing that I didn't like about that cabin and I know that the standard balconies on the Grand are a bit larger. I'm just one person so I don't need the extra added space on the Caribe balcony. I'm more concerned with closet space and actual room size, but I guess I'll just adjust and fold some clothes that I usually hang. (I will miss the couch, but I'm not about to pay over $1,000 extra for a mini-suite just to get that!)

Good attitude. You'll probably be fine if you take that with you.

Just of note, the Grand is a lot older than the Royal and Regal. The closet is small .. noticeably smaller but the room size is the same as on other Princess ships. One thing I like with Celebrity and Royal Caribbean is that there is a sofa vs just a chair which is on most Princess ships. I haven't sailed but am booked to cruise on the Royal. I look forward to that little extra space that is afforded in the deluxe balcony cabins....and the sofa!

While the Grand is certainly not my favorite ship, I sail on her often as she is home ported very close to my own backyard. I will say, she does have an amazing crew and staff.

We sailed the Grand in 2001, 2007 and a 10-day to Alaska in 2017. We are fine with the overall size of the balcony class cabins - not large by any stretch, and similar to other ships of this class. Closets are tight, but doable. (Mini-suites are really nice for anything over 7 days if a deal can be had.)

The Grand was launched in 1998 as I recall, and we have seen her age. Given she is nearing 20 years old (already!), she is in reasonably good shape but the shine is long gone.

• 2 weeks later...
We found the cabin space to be fine. The closet was smaller but that was really the only "complaint" we had with the balcony cabin on Grand. We booked C752 and loved it.

Hi. We were going to book this room but the gal at princess told us the balcony was small and talked us into a mini suite. Would love to ask you more questions about c752. Not sure how to doit

Hi. We were going to book this room but the gal at princess told us the balcony was small and talked us into a mini suite. Would love to ask you more questions about c752. Not sure how to doit

What? Well, the balcony space is just fine on C752. It is one of the nicer cabins on this ship. We were in a lower category cabin last time on the Grand, C742 and the balcony is actually larger than those in the mini-suites (except for the two end ones on the Emerald deck - E728 and E729).

Also, C752 is a covered balcony with excellent views of the wake. Just in case you weren't aware, the Dolphin deck mini-suites are not covered. While some might not find this to be a problem, you might if you like a bit of privacy, if it is raining, if you don't like stuff from the upper balconies to end up on yours, etc. If you are going for a large balcony, the Caribe deck veranda cabin will give you the best bang for your buck. The balcony itself is large and half covered / half open. We usually book in the BD category way towards the aft. The last two cabins on either side have a somewhat larger balcony but not really a big difference over the ones right next door.

Unless your travel agent booked you in either E728 or E729 or if the mini-suites were nearly the same price as the balconies, she was probably not giving you the best advice. Now, the cabin itself is much larger when you book a mini-suite over a balcony cabin. Perhaps your agent was referring to this.

• 7 months later...

We had the same itinerary on the Grand’s inaugural cruise in ‘98. Were you on the inaugural, as well?

How am I able to ask you questions about this cabin?

Ask your questions here or start a new thread with your questions.

You can also look at the "sticky" at the top (Princess Cabin Reviews - No Cabin Questions Posted Here Please!). If your cabin has been reviewed, your questions may already be answered.