Back from 15 nights on the Royal Princess: my observations

caribbeanboy

Just came back last Sunday from the Royal Princess. Got the 2 cruises at an excellent price for a balcony(we had to change cabin though) Was too good to refuse!

First thing I noticed was how comfortable the beds are. However the cabins are a bit smaller than on other cruise lines. At least the category they assigned me (BB)

The first negative thing I noticed was how the buffet was a far cry from what it used to be (maybe it was the chef, but I wasn't the only one complaining) When I cruised twice on the Regal a couple of years ago, I can remember how good it was. Not this time! also less choices, and I must say the same for the pastry shop. On the other hand all other eating venues were excellent. Btw the best buffet service in all my cruises. In less than 2 minutes after sitting down, someone would show up at your table asking if you wanted anything to drink.

Activities were a bit lacking in my humble opinion, but when on a cruise I don't like to run from one activity to the other anyway, so i was fine with that. Very good movie selection and saw quite some movies. Something I never do on land.

I have also noticed an increase in sales pitch. Don't know because it was a cheap cruise that they were trying harder, but definitely much more sales pitch. And if not mistaken the most expensive spa I have seen. I talked to an employee who had a friend working in the spa, and she told me that her friend told her that they usually are not fully booked. I saw them still trying to sell spa services on the last day of the cruise around noon..

On the second leg I became Platinum and got 250 minutes of free internet. Was very happy with that, since it was a 10 days cruise. I also could use the lounge on deck 6, so as a newbie I was very curious what it was all about and how it compared with RC(Diamond Plus) I went in and and saw that there were only different kind of cheeses available, So it wasn't a deal breaker for me, so I left. I can get all those cheeses at International Cafe as well I thought and no need to buy any drinks. Later I learned that they would change the selection every day.

I know it might sound a bit negative, but I had a hell of a good time. Visited 2 islands that were on my list and loved both of them (Martinique & Grenada) but in different ways.

The first negative thing I noticed was how the buffet was a far cry from what it used to be (maybe it was the chef, but I wasn't the only one complaining) When I cruised twice on the Regal a couple of years ago, I can remember how good it was. Not this time! also less choices...

Thanks for the report. Other than fewer choices, what did you find lacking about the buffet?

We were on the Regal in September 2016 and on the Royal January 2017, and they seemed identical.

Jim

Thanks for the report. Other than fewer choices, what did you find lacking about the buffet?

We were on the Regal in September 2016 and on the Royal January 2017, and they seemed identical.

Jim

TASTE. Some of the offerings were simple tasteless..or very salty. I tried the pork chops and no taste at all. The roasted potatoes were every single day very salty, and I like salty food. One day the noodle had no taste/salt at all, and the very next day I couldn't eat because it was way too salty. So, basically there was no consistency at the buffet. I also wrote about the pastry shop. I can remember seeing a lot of desserts being left on the table, with maybe 2-3 bites out of them. Some of them were simply dry and little taste as well. When I booked this cruise I was excited for the food..and dessert, but unfortunately it was a disappointment. The good thing is I gained less pounds (lol)

TASTE. Some of the offerings were simple tasteless..or very salty. I tried the pork chops and no taste at all. The roasted potatoes were every single day very salty, and I like salty food. One day the noodle had no taste/salt at all, and the very next day I couldn't eat because it was way too salty. So, basically there was no consistency at the buffet. I also wrote about the pastry shop. I can remember seeing a lot of desserts being left on the table, with maybe 2-3 bites out of them. Some of them were simply dry and little taste as well. When I booked this cruise I was excited for the food..and dessert, but unfortunately it was a disappointment. The good thing is I gained less pounds (lol)

No argument about the over salting. I guess most people just love it. I even saw many people adding addition salt to everything before tasting it. :eek:

Thanks for the report. Sounds much like our cruise on Royal a year ago.

Our April '18 cruise will be our first Platinum and Suite cruise. Where is the P/E/S lounge? What's in it? I don't remember reading anything about that, nor seeing it. Oh, what's up in the Concierge Lounge?

Thanks,

David

We did the 14 day TA from Barcelona this year... agree in general with your comments... We do 2 meals a day... breakfast in our cabin, we find Room Service on Princess very good... on the Royal we went to the Crown Grill 3 nights... were no impressed with the sides -- very small french fries, mushroom so chopped up would not know they are mushrooms, main dishes okay. We enjoy the fish and chips a couple days, did the buffet the rest of the trip... we are looking for very specific items... not a lot of variety so it worked for us. We also did room service in the afternoon if we did not find something to our liking on the buffet. We ship the elite lounge... entertain okay, not outstanding.

Looking forward to going on the Grand Princess on 1/2/18 out of San Francisco... more our style of ship... we find these new larger ships - just that larger but not that much more in services. We have tried them on Celebrity, HAL, Cunard.... all about the same.

I got off the Royal Nov 15th and I thought the food was excellent. Some of the best I've had on a cruise.

I never use salt and I didn't find the food over salty........... but saying that my feet did swell up awful !!

I really tried to not eat salty food.

Thanks for the trip report and information. I’m Platinum on Carnival, and will be the same on Royal my next cruise. I’m looking into Princess for a European cruise in a year or two since they are the only cruiseline that has the itinerary that I’m really interesting in (Rome to London). I know it will be a big difference from the two others, and reports like these help bring the cruiseline into perspective. I am probably going to do a Caribbean sailing with Princess before the European cruise just to get familiar with the Line. Thanks again all for the reports and information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk