Where to have dinner in Old San Juan?

RevCindy

Our ship will be in port from 3pm to 10pm in November. We are 3 adults who don't have super-adventurous palates. We do, however, want to experience some authentic PR cuisine and are willing to go a little outside our comfort zone to do so. I don't want to go all the way to PR (my first time) and eat at Applebee's!

The tasting menu at both Marmalade and Pikayo appeal to me but the price does not appeal to my husband. Can you recommend an authentic eating experience that is perhaps a little more budget friendly? We are not big wine drinkers but hubby and son would love a great mojito.

Bonus points for outdoor dining, if that's a thing in PR in November.

Thanks in advance!

Our ship will be in port from 3pm to 10pm in November. We are 3 adults who don't have super-adventurous palates. We do, however, want to experience some authentic PR cuisine and are willing to go a little outside our comfort zone to do so. I don't want to go all the way to PR (my first time) and eat at Applebee's!

The tasting menu at both Marmalade and Pikayo appeal to me but the price does not appeal to my husband. Can you recommend an authentic eating experience that is perhaps a little more budget friendly? We are not big wine drinkers but hubby and son would love a great mojito.

Thanks in advance!

Think your man should do the decent thing and look to spoil his lady on vacation, by booking the taster menu at Marmalade. To hell with the alleged expense, you're on vacation. You must dine at Marmalade at least once in your life.

Think your man should do the decent thing and look to spoil his lady on vacation, by booking the taster menu at Marmalade. To hell with the alleged expense, you're on vacation. You must dine at Marmalade at least once in your life.

Normally I would agree. But since he has to pay for 3 of us and there's already jewelry in my future, best not to push!

http://www.princesapr.com/index.php

Princesa Gastropub is Puerto Rican fusion. DH and I have been staying in OSJ precruise for 5-6 years. This was the best meal we ever had. Not sure if the prices are what you were looking for. Great mojitos and outside dining. The whole package!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 1 month later...

We found Verde Mesa in Old San Juan was a special place to eat. A quite unique menu. It's just up from the pier on Calle Tetuan.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/verde-mesa-san-juan-2

Another place we would recommend is St. Germain Bistro & Cafe. It's located on Calle Sol.

If you like sushi, you can give the Dragon Fly a try. It's located on Calle Fortaleza.

Edited by CorbinCatFan

• 1 month later...

Thanks in advance!

Platos or Cafe Angel. Platos has great fried pork and coconut sangria. Cafe angel is more like a mom and pop place with excellent roast pork and mofongo

• 1 month later...