San Juan cruise

LinMomWife

My husband and I are planning a cruise on Freedom of the Seas in May out of San Juan. Has anyone been there since the hurricane? We have heard that the ship is not the best and the islands are still bad. Does anyone have any update in these islands.

My husband and I are planning a cruise on Freedom of the Seas in May out of San Juan. Has anyone been there since the hurricane? We have heard that the ship is not the best and the islands are still bad. Does anyone have any update in these islands.

Cannot comment on the islands part of your question (yet) but we do cruise out of San Juan in less than 3 weeks. As for the Freedom, we were on her in March and had such a good time on her we booked her again for March 2019 and are taking several other families with us. That should be enough right there on what we think of the Freedom.

We were in San Juan a few weeks ago. The airport seemed to be functioning normally. There was some sign of damage, but there were also a bunch of places open for business. Some businesses are still running in generators.

We have heard that the ship is not the best ...

We have been on Freedom twice. 2nd time was March 2017. No issues. Great ship. No worries.

One of the only classes of ship you can sail away on the bow.

-Sean

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone. Our ports are as follows

St Maarten

St Kitts

Antigua

St Lucia

Barbados

The only port in question is St Maarten and by May it should be great. There is no reason to worry about Freedom of the Seas. If you've heard "it's not the best" and choose to believe that then change the plans.....

I have sailed Freedom twice, love the ship. I'm about to do my 3rd San Juan sailings and would do Freedom out of here in a heart beat. I do know when I was in Curacao last year they were expanding their pier in preparation for Freedom. Those islands were not effected by the last Hurricanes, but I haven't looked at all of the Freedom itineraries. This should be a great time. Enjoy!

St Maarten

St Kitts

Antigua

St Lucia

Barbados

When, exactly, is your cruise? St Maarten was badly affected, but we are returning there on May 1, I'll be posting a lot of pics when I get back. The other islands should be fine. I want to return to Antigua someday, we had a horrible Royal excursion there called TASTE OF ANTIGUA. If they bring that back avoid it!

People have been cruising Royal out of San Juan since 10/7 post hurricane. There are many discussions about it here. Many.

I love Freedom; not sure what you’ve heard or why you trust them. Or what they consider to be the best if Freedom isn’t the best.

Antigua had no storm damage.

Sint Maarten/St Martin did but by May I doubt there will be much fi you to worry about.

In what way?

Sailed on Freedom last November and the ship is our favorite. Ship was in great condition and the staff was excellent.

we just returned from a NCL cruise out of Puerto Rico, we stayed 3 nights at the BW Plus Condado Palm and everything went good. the area still had some damage but most of the bars, shops, restaurants are open. the only port that still had some damage from the hurricanes was St Thomas. No issues with the airport, taxi, port, beaches, electric, or water. We had a fantastic time.

St Maarten

St Kitts

Antigua

St Lucia

Barbados

I spent 4 days in San Juan prior to my 12/2 cruise. We had a great time and saw lots of things. There are areas without power, but most have generators. Street lights are still mostly out. We didn't have any trouble driving our rental car.

Visited all those islands except St. Maarten. You could see some damage in places, but but it didn't affect our trip.

The locals are very happy we were there and wish more ships would return. Some islands are only getting half the ship traffic they are used to, according to the locals I talked to.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

We were on Celebrity out of San Juan on Dec 2. San Juan seemed pretty normal, flying in you could see hundreds of blue tarps on houses with damaged roofs, but airport was fine, and Old San Juan and Condado area had some damage, but were functioning pretty well. Lots of palm trees etc. still standing, looked pretty as always. The islands we went to (Barbados, St Vincent, Grenada, Martinique, Antigua, St Kitts, and St Thomas) were all just perfect, no damage at all, at least none apparent. EXCEPT for St Thomas, island is disaster, ship should not have gone there. We docked at Crown Marina, not the normal terminal which I guess was pretty well beat up, went to Lindberg Bay (Emerald Beah), resorts were open but lots of construction, bar and restaurants partially open. Previously there was lots of shade under palm trees on this beach, trees are pretty much gone, got some chairs under palapas (sp?), St Thomas has a way to go. We did not go into town, so don't know about conditions there. Perhaps by May things will be better, but still not normal, in my opinion.

We were on Celebrity out of San Juan on Dec 2. San Juan seemed pretty normal, flying in you could see hundreds of blue tarps on houses with damaged roofs, but airport was fine, and Old San Juan and Condado area had some damage, but were functioning pretty well. Lots of palm trees etc. still standing, looked pretty as always. The islands we went to (Barbados, St Vincent, Grenada, Martinique, Antigua, St Kitts, and St Thomas) were all just perfect, no damage at all, at least none apparent. EXCEPT for St Thomas, island is disaster, ship should not have gone there. We docked at Crown Marina, not the normal terminal which I guess was pretty well beat up, went to Lindberg Bay (Emerald Beah), resorts were open but lots of construction, bar and restaurants partially open. Previously there was lots of shade under palm trees on this beach, trees are pretty much gone, got some chairs under palapas (sp?), St Thomas has a way to go. We did not go into town, so don't know about conditions there. Perhaps by May things will be better, but still not normal, in my opinion.

RCI has new contract as of a year or more ago to go to Crown Point in St. Thomas now. That is the reason you went there instead. Thanks for the other island updates.

Just off the Dawn. San Juan is in good shape and has power. We had a nice time in most of the places you are visiting on your cruise. Rural areas are still facing difficulties but clean up efforts have been very efficient and tourists are fairly unaffected at this point. Everything was beautiful and the people are glad to have us :)