Report of no power again in San Juan?

matt'smom

Hope this helps, my husband is on a team helping with Puerto Rico. Most of the power in and around the island is not on. They have thousands of dollars in equipment constantly being transported to help get the situation under control but it is still not on throughout the Island. They did open the cruise port and it has had ships in and out but the situation is far from ideal. Lots of man power is working daily but Pole Trucks, Poles, and electric infrastructure is right now getting ready to be transported. I don't think it will be really up and running for quite some time.

Hope this helps, my husband is on a team helping with Puerto Rico. Most of the power in and around the island is not on. They have thousands of dollars in equipment constantly being transported to help get the situation under control but it is still not on throughout the Island. They did open the cruise port and it has had ships in and out but the situation is far from ideal. Lots of man power is working daily but Pole Trucks, Poles, and electric infrastructure is right now getting ready to be transported. I don't think it will be really up and running for quite some time.

Thanks for this.

Yes, I just saw the news. PR is back to no power for 80% of the people.

But I am going to be there my first time on Dec 13. I will just go and see the Fort.

And a careful reading the cited CNN article reveals that the transmission line causing the problem was repaired and power was in the process of being restored.

Puerto Rico's power grid is very vulnerable right now and this sort of temporary setback may happen again, but the point is that it was temporary setback that was quickly repaired.

I’m at Best Western across from Stellaris and next to Starbucks. Power is on most buildings that I can see. Traffic lights non-existent so far. Will go to OSJ Friday.

Thanks for the update. Keep us posted on OSJ.

How was the airport?

Terri and Gunny Do you have any guess when Old San Juan will have electricity, so all hotels and forts will be open?

It will be an ongoing event of significant duration. They are doing pretty good in the port areas and such and as the trucks roll in they will send them out as well as all the equipment pouring in. Tough go for everything but they have massive amounts of help constantly going back and forth. The Gunny is getting ready to rotate out he has been on 12 hour days 7 days a week now.

Just like someone else stated the grid is pretty unstable but teams of linemen and equipment have been in route and on ground to get everything up and going.

We are staying in an apartment in Old San Juan about a block from the San Juan Cathedral before our cruise the first part of January. I contacted the owner today to ask if power was restored yet. She said no, but the power is supposed to be restored by Thanksgiving. Of course, things can change and it may take more or less time.

The airport lost it's power for about 18 hours due to an overload. We heard about it on the ship Friday. I confirmed it with the airport official as we walked (he was showing me the way to the restaurants in the other terminal). FYI, the SW gate area has only one place to purchase food so if you are hungry head to the other terminal.

BTW, airport was fine, TSA Pre-check was running when DH and I went through. Rest of family went via regular security line and it took maybe 10 minutes. Later DH went for a smoke and pre-check was closed but they still treated him like pre-check after verifying it on his boarding pass. He said airport was much busier at 11AM than when we arrived around 9:30. He got a little nervous but they were moving people pretty quickly.

So why are cruise lines stopping there if there are still many issues? We are concerned about PR and St. Thomas and our cruise leaves in 3 weeks.

So why are cruise lines stopping there if there are still many issues? We are concerned about PR and St. Thomas and our cruise leaves in 3 weeks.

The ports being in so much money. The businesses in port towns are important for the economy. Of course they want to get it all up and running!

I wouldn’t worry. It’ll be a bit different, but it will also be fine.

• 3 weeks later...
Has anyone had a cruise stop in Old San Juan recently? If so how was it?
We arrived in Puerto Rico Wednesday and are staying through Sunday at Hotel Casablanca in Old San Juan. Hotel and most places have power. They are visibly working on restoring the rest of the power to the city. Most shops are open. Lots of restaurants open but so many are closed as well. Walking around at 8:00 last night and most restaurants were empty. Parrot Club, Aquaviva, Marmalade were all closed. Vaca Brava, Puento de Vista, Raices, Cafe Puerto Rico, Barrachina, Rosa de Triana were all open. Both forts were open.

-KRISTI

Sent from my VS988 using Forums mobile app