All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Gorgeous scenery Melody ! Our weather is in the 80's so I have been spending time on my deck reading and enjoying the water .I have found a few Cuba cruises that look interesting . I will probably wait until I visit the Doctor on Friday before I book .I hope third time is a charm.

Melody, what a beautiful area.

I am wearing a sleeveless top with a sweater today, and my loafers with no socks! We just broke the record high and my phone is telling me it's 77 here in Queens! There is some hookie playing going on here at school....

I will probably know within a week or so whether DH is taking his big trip in April. I have my eye on three 3-day cruises out of Miami in case he goes.

Carnival Victory pros: has a water slide and nice pool and is the cheapest. cons: reviews from love to hate (lots of I'll never go back etc), least interesting with two days in Nassau and no private beach stop.

NCL Sky pros: visits Great Stirrup Cay, free beverages, supposed to be good for solos. cons: pool deck seems rather plain and small, and they miss GSC a lot.

RCI Enchantment of the Seas pros: the nicest ship of the bunch, ports at their private beach. cons: more expensive by about $100.

All three stop at Nassau, which I don't particularly care to visit. I've stayed at the Atlantis, been there done that, and I don't feel like going off to a beach on my own. I've heard the snorkeling there is very mediocre. It's very likely I would just stay on the ship for that day.

What do y'all think?

I have friends that swear by NCL (they travel solo). RCL Enchancement is a nice ship; I’d spend the extra money. Personally do not like Carnival (there’s more than one reason it’s so cheap).

It’s warmed up to 10 here today [emoji849]. Melody

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We had that amazing warmth also. It is now 36 and falling though. Back to normal!

I have been on Enchantment before, but I have only cruised RCI so I can give you my thoughts on the ship, but not for comparison to the other lines.

Enchantment was cut in half, and made larger. I love the deck and pool areas. The interior has the usual section of stores in the middle, and that area feels a bit off because of the ship's changes. If that isn't important to you, then it won't matter. I found the adult pool area to be so...serene. I'm not a pool person, but we often worked our way through the area to get a roast beef sandwich and we enjoyed the area immensely.

I thought it was currently sailing from Cape Canaveral? If so, it's about a 40-45 minute drive from the MCO. If you are sailing from Miami, then you are all set. We personally love the Cape Canaveral area, and the drive is really like nothing.

I think the picture I posted came out upside down. I will have to see what I can do about that, lol.

I noticed that with many of the Lucky Brand shirts, the way the colors come together, they tend to appear a bit earthy. I clicked on a lot of photos and didn't realize until I zoomed in that they were not necessarily earth colors. I think I could get use out of both of the shirts I posted pictures of.

One thing I have to say...I think I mentioned that I recently got a new pair of navy pants, and then a gray blue pair. With navy, I always makes sure the blue is strong, and that it isn't the type of navy you have to get up close to in order to see that it is blue. So this is a replacement pair, and I have a few things to wear with them that make it work.

The gray blue pair isn't really working. I have found that I have a heavy earth wardrobe, which is just what I want But when you bring in an outside color, it is really hard. The navy is probably like a darker version of the clear bright navy that Curt designated as a fire color. I wear it with a saddle brown shirt, and I have shoes that brown color. I also have print top that has the saddle brown in it as well as the navy and a few other colors. Those saddle brown shoes can be worn with this outfit also. I think it's because there is some warmth to the color.

But the gray blue? They are getting very little use. I'm going to keep looking. At least once the weather warms up, I have few warm khaki colored items to wear.

It's cheapest to fly into Orlando but the cruises from Port Canaveral don't fit in my time frame. Likewise with Tampa. So, if I go it would have to be Miami. Laurie, I think it's Majesty that is going out of PC for now. It goes to Nassau but has a sea day instead of Cococay. There is a Carnival from Mobile that is super cheap but the airfare is high and I would have to connect. If I go it will be an experiment for me on how it is to go budget, since when we travel together we try to treat ourselves a bit. When we are retired perhaps we will be a bit more cost conscious, but for now with only one trip per year, we try to make it special.

I can understand the gray pants not working. I wear a lot of blue, so last summer I picked up a pair of light blue clamdiggers that were definitely on the gray side. I cannot get them to work with anything I have. I guess a solid brown or beige would work but I don't have anything like that, and I'm not going to buy anything to go with them. Closet orphans. I should know better. :)

Margaret, Alabama is ridiculous to fly into. The PC sounds relaxing, I love sea days. We still let ourselves relax & not really think about cost when we’re on vacation, life is short

Light blue clam diggers, what about one of your red shirts or Lucky shirts. I have a pair of navy/white seersucker pants that never seemed to go with anything. I finally paired them with kelly green, but now they’re way too big [emoji6]

I just got back from visiting Mom and Dad in AZ! I have several things to share...not the least of which is a good methodology for getting a good picture of your eye!! I think Mom and I figured it out! Just catching up here though with a latte...

Laurie, have you tried these? You can use them with a regular bra if you let the straps out a lot. They are great for those tops that aren't quite racerback but your straps drift out. Mine is adjustable so I can change the width.

When I was dancing we used to use a barrette this way to keep our thin leotard straps from slipping off in class. Always had one in my bag.

https://www.boscovs.com/shop/prod/braza-bra-magic-clip/110997.htm?utm_source=Google&utm_term=110997&utm_content=Ladies+%3e+Lingerie+%26+Sleepwear+%3e+Bras&utm_campaign=CSE&cid=CSE:Google&scid=scplp7266169&sc_intid=7266169&adpos=1o2&utm_medium=CSE&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpo_i2t2w2QIVVMDICh0OogMmEAkYAiABEgK6cfD_BwE

I started using a safety pin to do this exact thing with a cami top for a pajama set. It's a super special safety pin, in that it was a sort of child safe safety pin...kind of oversized. I could see how a simple barrette would do the trick and look a lot nicer, especially if you were doing this to a top that might be seen. I have one of these pictured above and it's fine, it works...

Oh! I forgot all about commenting on the bra clip. With the Soma bras, the criss crossing works fantastic. I have two versions, and both are nicely shaped "regular" bras. I emphasize the word regular because if you've ever worn a strapless bra described as convertible with the straps on, it's a very different fit.

https://www.soma.com/store/product/enticing+lift+strappy+unlined+balconet+bra/570162838?color=8402&catId=cat11369275

https://www.soma.com/store/product/embraceable+demi+bra/570052350?color=7414&catId=cat7679281

We try to make our vacations special too. In the past few years, we have done one main cruise, and one a bit smaller. This year, we have one cruise on the books so there is a part of me that really wishes I had splurged for a junior suite. I love a balcony so much, so we always make sure we get a room with a balcony and we get our money's worth out of it. But the extra room in a junior suite, plus the larger tub and closet are really sweet. I didn't mean to make a pun there...suite, sweet...

I have been thinking, Anita, about the eye picture I sent you. I think that despite the shadows and all, it was a very accurate depiction of my actual eye color. I've been thinking a lot about what Margaret indicated was her romantic color. I haven't had much time to explore more.

I am always thinking about how things will change when I retire. One thing I have definitely noticed is that I get antsy sometimes with down time, but I think that has a lot to do with being distracted by my job. I am constantly thinking about work. That is a long story, and off topic. But I do enjoy reading, cooking and different things. I am just pressed for time so I don't do as much as I would like. I have often said that I think I would go from full time to part time, then retire. Gradually work into it?

But I have two main trips that I really want to do when I retire, since both would be cruises that are longer than 7 days. One is Hawaii, the other is Alaska.

I do think a 7 day Alaska might be something I do sooner, since I'm going to be 53 this year and retirement is a ways off.

Closet orphans. There is some great terminology there. I usually can find ways to make things work, but these pants won't even work with warm beige. They look weird next to ivory. I'm lost.

In my quest to find an earthy shirt or two, I placed an order with Venus. As I said previously, everyone has one of those "my cup runneth over" moments in their pictures, so I was uncertain. I ordered three things, and here are my results.

This, in orange, fits like...this. Cute on, but I feel like it I look like I'm trying too hard. It feels pretty short. I think it has to go back. The orange isn't earth, by the way. It is very much fire. I may have looked at it differently if I had gotten the olive, but that doesn't change the fit. It would feel less attention getting though.

This, in burnt coral. It's a really nice tank. I thought the squared neckline was different, and the ruching on the side was nice. But I have that underarm gap going on, near the bustline? I get that sometimes. So that has to go back

This here is a wonderfully warm off white or cream color. It has enough color to it for me to get away with it. It fits a little loose, so if I keep it, I may need to take it in at the top a little. I can't get a smaller size because I need the medium for the rest of the shirt. I would have to take a good look because of the styling, and the fact that it is a knit.

So I guess I didn't do that great? But I will say that I thought their quality is decent. They have a bunch of things in olive. I understand their marketing, but honestly, it has kept me from buying from them in the past so I may order again, and just keep in mind my figure versus what I am seeing in the catalog.

Anita, I hope you had a great trip visiting your parents!

I will try to repost that dress photo right side up, but it is so odd because it is fine on my phone. I was really trying to figure out what to bring. Those all fit me, so they are options. The teal print one I haven't had on in a while but the style is such where it should be fine.

Laurie, I was a type A workaholic, 60-80 hours a week for over 30 years with lots of business travel. Everyone I worked with figured I’d be back to work in 2 weeks. I fooled them, I had rotator cuff surgery 3 days after I retired (scheduled) & that forced me to really slow down. Never looked back. I did several retirement events for several generals over the next 2 years, but I’m done doing that now. You can retire & relax, sometimes are easier than others.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I eased into retirement . I went part time in my 50's but they were often 10 or 12 hour days but I was able to be very flexible .My daughter was working in Boston at the time and I would fly to Boston for long week ends every other month and stay in a Hotel . We would order room service and shop and do touristy things .I have great memories of those visits . I then totally retired at 60. My Boss thought I would be back but I was ready and never returned . I did start my Ebay business then just for something to do and I became a top seller on ebay for eight years .I sold Women's dresses mostly White House Black Market . It was fun while I did it .

I actually visited a jjill store today! I was at a big mall north of the city, near where I get my car fixed, for the whole afternoon. That may seem silly to you but we don't really have malls here so it's kind of fun for me. They had some great sales but I didn't buy. They have some very pretty lavender and periwinkle items right now:

https://www.jjill.com/shop/womens-clothing/knit-tops-tees?facet=,,ads_f10502_ntk_cs%3A%22Purple%22&facetLimit=&orderBy=&pageView=grid&pageSize=36&facetApplied=true&productBeginIndex=0

I also went to White House/Black Market. OMG the colors were perfect for me. I did a search for blue to show you some of the selection:

https://www.whitehouseblackmarket.com/store/category/tops/cat470050/?facetTrail=4294965812

Also this beautiful dusty greenish turquoise:

https://www.whitehouseblackmarket.com/store/product/tiesleeve+tee/570213966?color=1892&catId=cat470050

I spent a lot of time in Soma and had a proper fitting and ended up with lots of new stuff. A big thank you to Laurie because I don't know that I would have taken the time except for her post about successfully shopping there. The woman who helped me was really good and now my girls look better than they have in a long time. :D

Margaret,

I've also been on Enchantment. I wrote a review and I just reread my own review to refresh my memory. I really had a good time on that cruise. I thought the ship's crew was great; the CD was really good. These things can change of course... the layout of the ship was good for having an adult area, the Solarium, be off the beaten path, not a traffic pattern (like some other layouts are) unless you were going to the Park Cafe. One thing I really liked about Enchantment was that it had good interaction with the sea...lots of windows, etc., unlike some RCI ships that are more promenade focused...so it would be a good one. You could take books and find many spaces to enjoy and there were many activities and I think many of them were ones that could be enjoyed solo.

I've been on Carnival. I had a good time. That CD was really good too. He ran all the music trivia games and we liked that activity a lot. The Piano Bar is a good time, predictable, I guess, as DS and I did that several nights and the evenings blended a bit because of the many repeated songs...but it was a fun atmosphere and I could see being able to go to that solo and have fun. Lots of activities. We were on Fascination, which had a full on water works area, and the kids tended to be there more than at the normal pool. Since April could be Spring Break...and Carnival is so affordable...there could be a lot of kids on that Victory...and the slide isn't as much of a separate thing as the full on water works. So, if the pool is a big draw...IDK. There is the Serenity Adult Only area on Carnival. IDK if there is a pool or just a whirlpool. That is 21+ though..."adult" on RCI is 16+. Carnival DID have more energy...seemed a bit more of a party boat than Enchantment.

Keep in mind though, that both of our sailings were September.

I haven't been on NCL, but I think I've read a couple reviews of this one young lady that sailed solo a lot and I think she sailed on NCL. Mom might remember. She was cute and partied a lot and liked to get dressed up. I think they even had solo rooms? Her reviews always seemed like she had a great time, but she was young and partying...

It's really too bad that the Carnival cruise isn't going to their private beach. That was a really good beach. I liked it better than RCI's. There is supposed to be a snorkeling beach on the RCI one though...but we didn't do that.

Nassau is just not a great port. I did read something on my Enchantment review that I would bring to your attention. Does your cruise go over a Wednesday? On our cruise, the crew did drill on Wednesday when the ship was in port at Nassau. It was pretty awful when they practiced muster. And they made it sound like it was a weekly thing. IDK if there is a way for you to find out if that is still happening or not. We were on the ship for most of our Nassau day. It was quite nice. I thought there would be a lot more people staying on board because Nassau really isn't that popular, but the ship felt very empty.

All in all...I don't really think you can go wrong. IMO. It's an exploratory thing to check out another cruise line and see what you think. Pick the one that appeals the most and just go with it.

I had a great visit with Mom and Dad. We mostly hung out...talked and laughed and planned and did a couple things...but it was more about being together than it was about doing anything in particular. We did go out for brunch on Sunday.

I wore a new shirt I got at the Macy's Last Chance area. It's a peasant style, in a lovely print that I think is perfectly Soft Autumn, Soft Natural. It's hard to see, but it has the flared sleeves below the lace insert. The necklace is one that Mom and Dad gifted me with from St Kitts? from their most recent cruise. It is like it was made to go with that shirt...I like how they blend together and the necklace isn't so much of a statement as it's just an extension of the shirt...which I think is very Soft Natural as well. Like Laurie...I'm learning more and more what works for me...learning to define and thus repeat what I like.

IMG_2006.jpg

This picture is pretty darn funny...Mom knows why. Cheers!

Anita,That is a great picture of you & your Mom . I agree that Carnival can be fun and very energetic .We went on The Carnival Paradise two years ago and had a ball but short Carnival cruises can attract some weird people.Margaret , I love White House Black Market clothes especially their dresses .I do think they are perfect for women in their 40 & 50's maybe even early 60's .

Anita & Pam! Such a happy picture!!! Love the blouse on you.

I can’t wear WHBM dresses. I’m long waisted & they always hit me wrong. I do have a great white straw hat from there...

Anita, I have really been trying to focus on that concept - really liking something, and then repeating that. I think the standout to me when looking at my recent formal wear purchases was seeing certain patterns. Not with everything - I do like more than one style. But I am very drawn to wrap styles, and I think they fit and look nice. I also like things that show my shoulders, and I'm learning what to look for in the overall styling.

I think that shirt looks wonderful on you, and I really like how the necklace works with it. You can tell it is an ideal outfit for you.

The picture in general is priceless. What I wouldn't do to have time with my mom again. I think it is so great that you were able to go for a visit.

I have never shopped in JJill. I have a few things from WHBM. I like how they do color themes to bring in new clothes every few months. I have a shirt in the best marsala like color. I love that it is a brownish burgundy, and very earthy. They had a collection a while back with a rust shade, and I still have a shirt that fits that I got there.

Margaret, I'm glad you liked Soma. I have found that it's almost like a little treat to myself to go there or perhaps Victoria's Secret, and buy some good foundations. It's like taking care of myself, in a way. I've also found that for clothing to look good, you need good fitting, comfortable, quality items underneath.

I am going to try an repost that photo from my phone again. I saved it upside down. Maybe if I post it that way, it will appear right side up! Lol! But I would like to work on my other dresses and my daytime outfits this weekend. Usually, I'm fairly well set by now. I got to thinking a bit about shoes, since I picked the two dresses for formal night. One of the things I always deal with is trying not to pack too many shoes, yet still feel like I'm able to choose some different things. So maybe that will help me decide a bit...narrowing it down by shoes, possibly.

I'm taking a few vacation days, just to give myself a break. My wonderful husband is joining me, and we are planning a trip to the outlet mall on Monday. It's absolutely huge, so I may make a little list of stores that I feel are a must. I was thinking of doing the same thing the next time I am at the nearby mall as well, because it's easy to find yourself heading towards a particular favorite store, and then only stopping in places that are near that. In the days of smaller malls, I would often pass every store, so it was just about deciding whether or not to go in. Now it's like, get the map out!