Getting Credit for Very Old Cruise??

PandaBear62

This is so true. Many of us take no notice of who the Captain is when we sail. It just isn’t important to me who is driving the ship as long as we get there and back safely. I would never be able to recall the name of a Captain a year later much less a decade or two later.

You likely have mised much you might have really enjoyed Given I do remember them all, many years and dozens of cruises later maybe is a hint. Must have been very memorable people and dinners laughs, and most importntly friendships. . Don't knock it when you know not. ;)

Who said I was knocking it???

I’ll just say this: instead of taking time to get to know the Captain, we have spent time meeting people with whom we have forged deep true friendships. We have spent holidays at each other’s homes, we communicate several times a week, we know them and they know US. We have cruises together again on a regular basis after meeting onboard.

I won’t knock your hobby of getting to know Captaons but please don’t tell me I know not. We have dined with officers and Captains and enjoyed the evenings but we prefer our relationships forged with other passengers. These relationships are much more satisfying to us.

Back to the OP's question, I would say anything is possible. We started cruising HAL again in 2005 after years of land based vacations. We had cruised on the old Prinsendam in early September 1978. All I knew about that cruise was that it was early September on the Prinsendam round trip from Vancouver to Alaska and that Pam Shriver was a finalist in the US Open Tennis Tournament that week. Somehow they must have found us as we were given credit for that cruise.

Second story, recently, I sailed with friends who last cruised on HAL 20 years ago and could not understand why they had been invited to the Mariner's luncheon. I asked to see their cruise card and saw they were one star Mariners. So without even asking, HAL had found they were returnees.

Back to the OP's question, I would say anything is possible. We started cruising HAL again in 2005 after years of land based vacations. We had cruised on the old Prinsendam in early September 1978. All I knew about that cruise was that it was early September on the Prinsendam round trip from Vancouver to Alaska and that Pam Shriver was a finalist in the US Open Tennis Tournament that week. Somehow they must have found us as we were given credit for that cruise.

Second story, recently, I sailed with friends who last cruised on HAL 20 years ago and could not understand why they had been invited to the Mariner's luncheon. I asked to see their cruise card and saw they were one star Mariners. So without even asking, HAL had found they were returnees.

Had your friends sailed other lines under the Carnival umbrella? I sailed twice on Princess (1999, 2002) but after my second Carnival cruise in 2007, I started getting HAL emails, and when I did sail HAL in 2009, I was a one star Mariner. EM

Had your friends sailed other lines under the Carnival umbrella? I sailed twice on Princess (1999, 2002) but after my second Carnival cruise in 2007, I started getting HAL emails, and when I did sail HAL in 2009, I was a one star Mariner. EM

No, they had not sailed on any other CCL line.

I wish I could get credit for four sailings on Home Lines in 1972/73 (they were purchased by HAL in 1988) but I have no proof, nothing but memories. EM

Do you still have your old passports? That is what we used.

As a baby I sailed on Leerdam II on a transatlantic in the early fifties. Once we started 'cruising' with Holland America, I gave them the information about that trip and they added it to my cruise history (and gave me cruise days). However, since Leerdam II wasn't in their records, they just entered that trip on Rotterdam instead.

OP, definitely give Mariner Society a call.

That Is Fabulous :)

Do you still have your old passports? That is what we used.

I have no idea where that old passport is...It was my first. I have moved so many times...But passports weren't required then, at least not to the Caribbean/Bahamas. I may have been one of the few sailing with one. I remember standing waiting to get off in NYC and the agent was chiding someone for not having any proof of citizenship. EM

As a baby I sailed on Leerdam II on a transatlantic in the early fifties. Once we started 'cruising' with Holland America, I gave them the information about that trip and they added it to my cruise history (and gave me cruise days). However, since Leerdam II wasn't in their records, they just entered that trip on Rotterdam instead.

OP, definitely give Mariner Society a call.

An oldie but a goody! No stabilizers though! ;)

1948914.jpg

e94f6fc109dda077bf7fca0fad23f535.jpg

m/s Leerdam II (1921-1954) Built by Scheepsbouw Maatschappij (shipbuilding company) De Nieuw Waterweg (the New Waterway) in Schiedam, the Netherlands at 8,854 GRT with 14 First, 174 Second and 802 Third Class cabins, she was the third of a quartet of cargo-passenger liners (her sisters were Maasdam III, Edam IV and Spaarndam II) built for Holland Amerika Lijn for their Rotterdam-Havana, Cuba service. She was originally designed as a pure freighter, but then redesigned to carry immigrants outbound and cargo homewards with her Third Class "between decks" accommodation convertible to a cargo hold. This made her among the very few "combi" ships with her second or after stack being a "dummy."

Like her sister ships, Leerdam was powered by 4,200 shp turbines and a single propeller giving her a speed of 13 knots. As a result of the Great Depression, Cuba and Mexico passenger service was withdrawn in 1932 and Leerdam and her sisters were laid up. She was rebuilt in 1934 with only one funnel, 30 "cabin-class" and 60 Third Class passenger cabins and placed on the Rotterdam-New York City-Baltimore cargo-passenger service, her first such voyage commencing on 13 October 1934. During World War II, Leerdam was chartered to the Ministry of War Transport in London. In 1946 she was returned to HAL and refitted for 98 passengers in First Class. Leerdam's last voyage was in December 1952 and she was subsequently broken up in Yokohama, Japan in 1954. Leerdam, btw, is a municipality in the Dutch province of Zuid-Holland. It is pronounced Lehrdam as in "lid"

Copper 10-8:

I have been enjoying your posts since I joined CC in 2006. They are the best!

Will you marry me?

Thanks for the kind words Cindy Lou, much appreciated! 😃

As to marriage, pretty sure my lovely wife would have a slight issue with that one 😁 Have a great day!

Thanks for the kind words Cindy Lou, much appreciated! 😃

As to marriage, pretty sure my lovely wife would have a slight issue with that one 😁 Have a great day!

Yeah, my husband of 39 years probably would too. But gosh, all your knowledge of ships, sailing, and cruising really fascinates me.

• 2 weeks later...
I wish I had SOMETHING to prove we sailed the Statendam to Hawaii and back (nice chunk of days, there!) but I don't even know the YEAR for sure! dr'spin says November 1999. And Vancouver to Seward (only 7 days, but I'd take them) in 2009. Maybe they DO have record, but if so why did they not apply them already?

ETA: I just checked and we do have (7 days) credit for 2009, just no onboard spending credit despite doing all ship's tours.

My PCC was able to find and apply SIXTEEN days of Mariner credit from my DH's memory (which was correct! How does he do that???) -- Bringing us up to 76 points south of 4* status. Cannot get there with our next cruise of 16 days, but I am shopping for the one to put us over the line! Free laundry here I come!