Room Service Breakfast

izdgrama

We cruise annually and the last two cruises have been with Princess. Their breakfast menu is quite abbreviated, think continental breakfast, and room service does not reflect the MDR menu for any meal, really.

We miss the full breakfast on HAL ships and are getting ready to book our next two cruises. With the cutbacks throughout the fleet, I’m curious to know if the eggs, breakfast meats and lox and bagels are still available.

One of the cruises will be a TA and with all the sea days a nice room service breakfast is important.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm not an in-room dining fan, but on our last cruise, my husband (in my cabin) and my brother (in his own cabin) wrote in what they wanted on the menu and had no problems with the order. Of course, it was things like switching our the meats, or changing the way the eggs were cooked, and adding chocolate croissants so it wasn't anything that we would have considered too difficult.

The orders were delivered on time and hot, with no problems at all. The first morning my brother forgot to mention that he wanted sugar & cream with his coffee, so it wasn't brought with the coffee (I ran up to the Lido for him) but after that, he remembered to write it in and it was delivered no problem. I'd make sure to write in things you want like sugar, cream, butter, jam, syrup, ketchup, tabasco, etc.

We always enjoy room service breakfast, especially when doing a very port intensive cruise in Europe. It's nice to have it delivered while getting ready to head out on an excursion in the early a.m. We also occasionally do some switching of items, but most often what's offered is just fine. We always have some cash ready for whomever delivers to our cabin. A small price to pay for such a convenience!

HAL does a great job on room service breakfast IMO. Decent selection of hot items and you can write in things that are on the MDR menu and normally you will get it.

Plus, the orders mostly arrive at the beginning of the time slot you select (sometimes even a bit early so be prepared) and the food is hot.

Nice way to start the day!

Not a fan of the new abbreviated Room Service Breakfast menu, but I have had mixed success by writing in items not listed and crossing off items I don't want. Sometimes, it works; sometimes not. It does seem to vary ship by ship. Just as the phone call from the Room Service Supervisor soon after my breakfast arrives as to my satisfaction with it.

• 4 months later...
Just left Eurodam a few hours ago. We had scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, and toast in-room this morning. Next week, I will be on a Princess ship and will miss the hot breakfast.
So that is the question for me, does Princess cruise offer hot items for breakfast room service? This seems to be saying..no. Thanks!

We always order from the in-room breakfast card. Yes, it is limited, but we always write-in what we want, and it has never been a problem. As long as you write-in what is available in the Lido you will get it.

As of early March, on the Rotterdam, any egg dishes were made with liquid eggs, unless you request real eggs. If you do, they will happily grab a few real eggs and make your omelette, scrambled or whatever egg dish you want. I have never seen powdered eggs unless it has happened since March 2018. Eggs Benedict are always made with real eggs. The liquid eggs are real eggs, pasteurized for longer shelf life and come in a box similar to a quart of milk.

Good to know.

We always order from the in-room breakfast card. Yes, it is limited, but we always write-in what we want, and it has never been a problem. As long as you write-in what is available in the Lido you will get it.

As of early March, on the Rotterdam, any egg dishes were made with liquid eggs, unless you request real eggs. If you do, they will happily grab a few real eggs and make your omelette, scrambled or whatever egg dish you want. I have never seen powdered eggs unless it has happened since March 2018. Eggs Benedict are always made with real eggs. The liquid eggs are real eggs, pasteurized for longer shelf life and come in a box similar to a quart of milk.

Here's a question - do you feel the need to be "dressed" when your breakfast arrives, or do you feel that PJs or a robe are sufficient?

Robe does me just fine, thank you :)

And since HAL provides them, it's the one time I use them ;)

I learned to ask for real/"cracked" eggs. that seemed to work just fine.

No powdered eggs and we were on in April & May this year. I am quite sure I can say with certainty that HAL does not use powdered eggs. I don't like the pasteurized stuff (which is what they use) and just ask for the cracked eggs or do poached or basted /fried.

So that is the question for me, does Princess cruise offer hot items for breakfast room service? This seems to be saying..no. Thanks!

Probably a better question for the Princess board, but they have a breakfast sandwich that's hot. It comes wrapped in foil like at McDonald's. It's not bad for a quick bite before an early shore excursion.

There is a difference in menus.

Neptune Suites and Pinnacle Suites have a full breakfast menu while all other categories have a smaller selection of choices. For the most part people have been successful with writing in items they want.

Be warned -- scrambled eggs are now made from powered eggs.

I had to look up powdered eggs! I’d never heard of them. :') I guess it saves space in the pantry area over fresh. Is this fleet wide? We will be on Oosterdam in November. I love a good egg— my husband is severely allergic so when we travel I tend to order and eat a lot of eggs, lol!

I had to look up powdered eggs! I’d never heard of them. :') I guess it saves space in the pantry area over fresh. Is this fleet wide? We will be on Oosterdam in November. I love a good egg— my husband is severely allergic so when we travel I tend to order and eat a lot of eggs, lol!

I ordered the scrambled eggs from the room service menu on the Oosterdam and they were inedible. It was obvious they were made from powdered eggs....no texture and they disintegrated in your mouth. But the good news is, the ham and cheese omelet from the same menu was quite good. So stick to the ham and cheese omelet if you want protein, or order cereal. And as others have noted, reasonable write-in requests are usually accommodated. I requested bananas as a write-in and I received one each time I requested it. And another tip, if you like coffee, indicate that you want coffee for 4, even though you’re only 2 in the cabin. They will bring you a larger pot! Coffee for 2 only gets you a small pot which is only two cups of coffee. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We had room service breakfast every morning of this years Grand World, excluding when we were gone on overland tours. We basically write in our entire order, everything from oatmeal to poached eggs, and rarely don't get what we ask for. We did the same thing on a Princess cruise last fall and had equal success. The one difference on Princess was that they don't use the heavy hot metal plates under the serving plate which keeps the hot dishes warm longer.

Room service is our alarm clock so dressed is a robe for me.

They use pasteurized liquid scrambled eggs, not powdered. While they may taste slightly different, they are much better from a food safety standpoint than fresh cracked eggs. I was a part of a large group staying in a five star hotel. Our last day they offered cooked to order omelets. Sixty of us contracted salmonella poisoning from the omelets. I’m glad to see pasteurized eggs being used!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums