Bayport Cruise Terminal (Houston)

napunani

Anyone with any experience with Bayport Cruise Terminal parking?

Princess and NCL will begin using this terminal November 2013. Port of Houston website states 800 parking slots....hmmmmmmm...:confused: doesn't seem adequate parking availability for 2 cruise ship passengers when many in Texas are able to drive.

I am soooo excited about this terminal. YAHOO!!! I can leave my car at one of many of my friends homes that live in Houston and have them drop me off!! :D One less hour to get the the cruise port for me!! YEAJ:) FREE PARKING!!!

Edited by cynt

I'm sure that many people , me, will fly in and take other transportation so the parking might not be an issue. Would love to hear how it works out after Princess starts using it.

Recently posted: a personal "Live" review of the terminal... or as much as they could get.

... we had a few extra hours on Saturday morning and drove out to the Bayport terminal. It took about an hour each way. I don't see how there will be enough parking with only 800 spaces. It's one of the reasons we want to do the BVE in November. To see what the parking/boarding reality is.

Nothing going on out there... very remote. The terminal is fenced and locked-up. Needs clean-up badly. Very convenient for us... don't know that I'd want to fly into Houston for it, though. IMO, a change of planes and on to FLL would be better.

I'm sure it will be great for us "Houstonians".

Mary

We actually sailed out of the terminal in Bayport in 2008 after Hurricane Ike when they opened it for 3 months for Carnival since Galveston was damaged. We were on the CCL Ecstasy with 2400 people I think and most drove from surrounding areas. There was adequate parking for our ship but they also had the Conquest out of there that sailed after us and they were parking on the grass.. It should be enough for the one ship since many fly in for Texas cruises on Princess but by the time NCL comes in in 2014 I hope they have more space. The terminal itself was small and nice and we liked it and the parking was great as it was right in front of the terminal. It is very industrial which is pretty interesting for us. We sailed out of the old Houston cruise port about a mile from there 3 times with NCL and enjoyed watching them load container ships. Also sailing the ship channel is fun for us as you get to pass a lot of ships. :) :D Much cheaper transport from airports too as Galveston is a long way and costs a lot for transfers.

We are sailing out of Bayport the first of November and will be the first ones to use the new/old terminal this season. It is a short 4 day cruise to Progresso and back. This will give us time to check it all out. The closer cruise terminal will be very nice as we normally arrive the day before and stay in the Clear Lake area when sailing out of Galveston (too touristy!)

We are sailing out of Bayport the first of November and will be the first ones to use the new/old terminal this season. It is a short 4 day cruise to Progresso and back. This will give us time to check it all out. The closer cruise terminal will be very nice as we normally arrive the day before and stay in the Clear Lake area when sailing out of Galveston (too touristy!)

What line is out of there Nov. 1:confused: Or is that a private yacht cruise. I thought that the Caribbean Princess was the first in on Nov. 5 and NCL was not going there until 2014?

What line is out of there Nov. 1:confused: Or is that a private yacht cruise. I thought that the Caribbean Princess was the first in on Nov. 5 and NCL was not going there until 2014?

My posting concerning the first of November was not quite that literal. It referred to the first part of November which would specifically be November 5 and returning November 9. Is that clearer?

There was adequate parking for our ship but they also had the Conquest out of there that sailed after us and they were parking on the grass.. It should be enough for the one ship since many fly in for Texas cruises on Princess but by the time NCL comes in in 2014 I hope they have more space.

So, the parking "option" will be to park on the grass..:D

My guess is that at least 50% of the passengers will drive in from Texas cities and surrounding states.

B

Edited by bellebaby

My posting concerning the first of November was not quite that literal. It referred to the first part of November which would specifically be November 5 and returning November 9. Is that clearer?

Thanks, We are booked on the Nov 5 Arrival and I was just concerned that

there might be two cruise ships disembarking at this untested port on their first day. I feel better now:D

I hope you come back and give us an update on the parking situation. I'm sailing out of there on November 30 and will be driving over from San Antonio. I'd done all my research on Galveston, and then they switched. Sigh! Guess they needed to keep us passengers on our toes :rolleyes:

So, the parking "option" will be to park on the grass..:D

My guess is that at least 50% of the passengers will drive in from Texas cities and surrounding states.

B

Except Spring Break week!:eek:

I'll drive down and take a look in the next couple weeks on my way to Kemah and report back. The parking should be fine for one Princess ship and it is nice that it is right in front of the terminal. :) And sailing the Houston ship channel is something different - like sailing the Miss River out of New Orleans.. Just something to be able to say you did it. :)

We just booked a cruise out of Houston on the Caribbean Princess in February 2014. There is no roll call started and not much infomation anywhere else. We have never been to Houston. We are flying in the day before and would like a really nice hotel to stay in with restaurants and stores nearby. We would also love any suggestions for a reliable car service to pick us up at the airport and then take us to the ship the following day. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

We just booked a cruise out of Houston on the Caribbean Princess in February 2014. There is no roll call started and not much infomation anywhere else. We have never been to Houston. We are flying in the day before and would like a really nice hotel to stay in with restaurants and stores nearby. We would also love any suggestions for a reliable car service to pick us up at the airport and then take us to the ship the following day. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Will you be flying into IAH (north of downtown Houston) or HOU (south of downtown Houston)?

Actually neither one has a combination of nice hotels and nearby restaurants and stores.

Not sure what type of stores you want to be near, but you may want to consider staying in Kemah in the Kemah Boardwalk area. The hotel there is the Boardwalk Inn http://www.kemahboardwalkinn.com/ Plenty of restaurant choices. Stores in the immediate area are tourist oriented. About a mile away from Target and Wal-Mart.

Does anyone know how much taxi fare would look like from Hobby to the new terminal? Or what other options there are regarding transportation that isn't a Princess transfer. Normally we are a driving family, however flying for once and unsure of the options.

You might want to consider lodging in the Clear Lake/Bay Area part of Houston. This is the area surrounding the Johnson Space Center and there are many hotels in the area - from upscale places such as South Shore Harbour in League City and the Clear Lake Hilton on NASA Parkway to every chain hotel/motel. There is also convenient shopping including Baybrook Mall and lots of restaurants. Just search/Google for Bay Area Houston and/or Clear Lake and you'll have lots of information.

Sorry I can't help with the transportation issue but I can say that, at any location in that area you will be a short distance to the Port of Houston.

• 4 weeks later...
Welcome to Houston....:D

Get ready to sweat and eat TexMex.

B

and sit in traffic along with the never ending road work. :eek:

If you are a sports fan and want to cheer for a winner......don't become a fan of the local teams.;)

After living in Houston while the Bayport Cruise Terminal was being constructed and moving away only four years ago, I have been surprised by the negative comments being made concerning the facility. So, while I was visiting the area last week, I drove by. What I saw was an attractive facility with construction of additional parking and access from near-by Hwy 146 underway.

While it is located in Bayport, a port/commercial area, the area overall is similar to and no worse than those I have encountered when cruising from areas such as Long Beach, Baltimore, or Brooklyn.

Neither is it located in a barren area far from amenities such as lodging or restaurants or attractions. A ten-minute drive to the south brings you to the Seabrook and Kemah Boardwalk areas which are full of great restaurants and lodging options. Only a twenty-minute drive to the west is the Bay Area section of Houston (which abuts I-45 around the Bay Area Blvd. and NASA exits) and includes the JSC Space Center. shopping at Baybrook Mall, and every conceivable restaurant and lodging option.

It's a great area and services will only get better as the ships arrive.