Noweigian Epic decks 18 and 19 sundecks open to public and teenaged kids?

Not topless. I'm pretty sure the topless decks were removed several years ago on NCL ships. ^^^^ Seriously, you can't imagine why topless sunbathing wouldn't be allowed? It's not allowed in POSH or anywhere else.

The POSH sundeck on the Epic Haven is for guests 18 and over.

I don’t know if it’s topless, but they are legal adults, I can’t imagine why they wouldn’t be allowed.

Oops, I thought your kids were 18 and 19!

:) That's okay. I guess if they are open to public and not topless they could go up there.. not that they would want to but just because I want to hang out up there and they may need to find me1. Thanks for replying

Not topless. I'm pretty sure the topless decks were removed several years ago on NCL ships. ^^^^ Seriously, you can't imagine why topless sunbathing wouldn't be allowed? It's not allowed in POSH or anywhere else.

The POSH sundeck on the Epic Haven is for guests 18 and over.

Good news for us then! Thanks. Looks awesome on those top decks in the pictures.

A large portion of deck 18 is open to everyone. The area of deck 19 that is open to the public is rather small and there is a chance someone might be topless. On my Epic cruise I shocked to find a completely naked woman sunbathing on deck 19. There is no real need for your teenagers to go up to deck 19.

A large portion of deck 18 is open to everyone. The area of deck 19 that is open to the public is rather small and there is a chance someone might be topless. On my Epic cruise I shocked to find a completely naked woman sunbathing on deck 19. There is no real need for your teenagers to go up to deck 19.

Thanks for replying. That answers my question and it looks like you have cruised quite a bit on Norwegian so you would know.

The "Freestyle Sun Deck" on 19 is clothing optional and adults only (age 18 and above.)

The Sun Deck on 18 is not clothing optional and open to anyone.

The above quote is 100% inaccurate. There are NO clothing optional or topless decks anywhere on NCL. It is fine for the OP's teens to go up there, unless there is signage limiting access.

Yes, topless is supposed to be banned on deck 19 and there is even a sign stating that fact but not everyone follows the rules. Topless sunbathing can and does occur at times. The crew does not enforce the no topless rule. Here's a photo taken on deck 18. The stairs in the photo go to deck 19. Notice that deck 18 has see through panels under the railing and deck 19 had solid panels. That's because topless sunbathing does occur sometimes depending on the cruise and the passengers on the ship. As I said, the rule is not enforced.

o9038m.jpg

We were on the Jade this past January and I was taking photos of the various decks which is something I always do. When I went up on deck 15 at the front of the Jade there were two women sunbathing topless and seemed unconcerned about the other passengers up there. NCL may discourage topless sunbathing but it does happen and the rule is not enforced.

The term freestyle sundeck is a clue. If you look at the deck plans of the Epic, deck 18 has areas described as public sundeck while deck 19 is described as freestyle sundeck. It’s the same with the Jade, deck 14 forward is a sundeck while deck 15 is freestyle sundeck.

Oh the horror...someone topless...believe me, your 16 year has seen much more online at his buddies house. :)

Now all that said, my last cruise on the Escape, I was thankful, for the most part, for the lack of topless people...they might need to start enforcing it for some of us men.

The sign on deck 19 was obviously a temporary sign. I’m sure when the Epic cruises European waters that sign isn’t posted. Europeans are much more open about topless sunbathing than Americans are. Also it would be very easy for a passenger to take that sign down.

2mfi2vc.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The “freestyle sundeck” is NCL speak for topless sunbathing. When I was on the Jewel there was signage restricting males under the age of 18. But you’d see the heads of teenage boys popping up from the stairs like gophers. Stick the head up, swivel to get an eyeful, then duck backdown the stairs. Amusing, actually.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums