Laundrette Wars

Dorset cruise fan

We had a very mild battle over washing machines on Oceana last year, but it wasn't pleasant. I have heard that things can get quite out of hand in the laundrettes.

In view of this, we are on Arcadia for 16 nights this autumn and I believe she doesn't have many washing machines.

Does anyone have any advice as to what is the best time to attempt washing to avoid any fighting over machines?

Personally if I get the opportunity I like to get the washing in then go for breakfast in the MDR. Usually the washing is just finishing its cycle when I return. Unfortunately dryers are often a bit of a pain. I am quite prepared to take someones clothes out of the machine/dryer if necessary.

That's exactly how I had my little altercation last time. When I got back to laundry it had been removed from machine but the lady who now had clothes in machine thought she had first right to the tumble dryer. Of course I put mine straight in as it was ready but I'm pretty sure it was taken out early. So I was wondering if there is less pressure early evening or even over dinner time.

I find the best day is when we are in port, I usually have one day when no early excursion planned and try to get laundry completed just before lunch. No guarantee as this plan has failed at times. Laundry battles are real and have had many incidents on many cruise lines. Good luck is all I can say..;)

Thanks for the advice. However I know that laundrettes can be locked on port days. Is there any way of finding out in advance if they are open or not? I was caught out once being clever using a machine on port day but the water had been turned off. Tartan Exile, you have confirmed my hopes that maybe better to try at dinner time. We are freedom dining so can be flexible. No good waiting til formal night though as its always the dress shirt which prompts a wash.

Just send the formal shirt to be cleaned via the steward saves hassle and aggro. After all you're on holiday!

That's what I do, I don't do laundry on holiday. If it's really necessary I use the on board service when it's half price, there's usually a day when it's reduced.

Just send the formal shirt to be cleaned via the steward saves hassle and aggro. After all you're on holiday!

That's what I do, I don't do laundry on holiday. If it's really necessary I use the on board service when it's half price, there's usually a day when it's reduced.

We have quite a bit of OBC so may well do this. What are the charges?

I find a problem is that people don't know launderette etiquette. It is OK to take someone's wash out of the machine if it is finished but don't dump it on the floor, stack it somewhere. Having washing in a machine does NOT give you rights to the dryer above (Arcadia has separate dryers?) don't put your washing on and go away for a couple of hours. Do NOT take the baskets back to the cabin with you. The captain on Oceana had to warn anyone that drastic action would be taken with anyone 'borrowing' a basket. Rumours of fights are probably rumours, maybe!

I definitely don't do laundry on a cruise. I did it once, never again. Also, I am on holiday. why am I doing laundry?

Same here Jean, we go on holiday to get away from household chores.:)

Having said that my wife occasionally hand washes some items and uses the extendable washing line in the shower for drying.

New to cruising and don't want to upset anyone if I do decide to do a wash.....are the washing cycles for a set time? Then I can time it to go back in plenty time to let the next one in...not fussed about tumble dryers.

Kat

New to cruising and don't want to upset anyone if I do decide to do a wash.....are the washing cycles for a set time? Then I can time it to go back in plenty time to let the next one in...not fussed about tumble dryers.

Kat

45 minutes for the washer, two cabin stewards told me. I go back just before that time.

In view of this, we are on Arcadia for 16 nights this autumn and I believe she doesn't have many washing machines.

Is this correct? I know Arcadia used to have washing machines, have they been removed? We will be on her for 24 days next year and will need a lot of luggage if we cannot wash things at least once!

Picking a cabin near the laundry really helps. Wife likes to do the laundry as a way of not having a suit case of smelly clothes to bring back. Plus, saves effort once we return.

The way we avoid problems is not to regularly check if the laundry is done. While drying, best to stay in the launderette. Then there is no risk of others messing with our clothes.

I usually don't use the washing machines, unless on B2B on turn around day, but we have a 28 nighter coming up, and If I took 29 pairs of my knickers that's a suitcase on their own!!!! Seriously I will just have to be brave.

:')

I usually don't use the washing machines, unless on B2B on turn around day, but we have a 28 nighter coming up, and If I took 29 pairs of my knickers that's a suitcase on their own!!!! Seriously I will just have to be brave.

Do you wear Victorian ones :) I find knickers and socks quite useful to fill in little spaces and use to protect breakables or electrical things.

Seriously I see what you are saying. It is only the longer cruises or back to backs when we do washing, (we do a number of those as it saves on travel time and costs to port - especially if a cruise is a fly cruise). We once had a steward who I spoke to one day, saying I was wondering if I am brave enough to head for the launderette. He had been with P&O > 20 years and said he was once doing cabins near the launderette. He said there were arguments every day and if he heard anything he would abscond quickly. It seems that if the warmongers saw him they would usually ask if he had heard (the bad thing) that the other person had said. As he said to me, if he were to side with one, then he has someone else who is feeling vengeful against him. Sounds like legging it may have had a lot to do with his long service with P&O.

Is this correct? I know Arcadia used to have washing machines, have they been removed? We will be on her for 24 days next year and will need a lot of luggage if we cannot wash things at least once!

I think they still have the same number of machines on the decks. The rooms I find oppressively small. On Aurora they are square with washers and dryers arranged around the walls. On Arcadia the one I used was long and thin with 3 washing machines and 3 tumble dryers on top. Don't know if they were like that on all floors.

• Like 1