I never thought I'd be in this position.

stargate fan

***My orthopedic surgeon specifically told us to NOT cancel our November cruise!!***

***Yes, we purchased trip insurance the day we booked this cruise, over a year ago.***

I am having my re-ruptured Achilles tendon surgically repaired 10 weeks and two days before we fly to NOLA for our cruise. (I had the first rupture repaired just 15 weeks ago. Grrr! Hey, at least I hit my insurance deductible with the first surgery so this one will cost $0.00 out of pocket. Silver lining.)

I will be mobile in a VACOped for our cruise. Does anyone who has been in a walking boot on a cruise have any tips to share?

(The VACOped is waterproof so I can still frolic in the pool and ocean.)

1) Did you arrange for a wheelchair to get up the gangway? How? (We are Platinum so we have priority embarkation, if that makes a difference.)

2) Did you rent a motorized scooter for the ship? Why? I don't know where to start looking into this.

2a) If you didn't, do you wish you did?

3) Should I contact Special Needs? What reason would I have to do so?

Thanks so much.

I'm guessing your surgeon wants you walking at that point or they figure you'll heal better with a blended drink in your hands.

I'd play it by ear. You might be just fine to be up and walking. You can rent a scooter and request assistance closer to the cruise if you still feel it's necessary.

I have never been in this situation, but wanted to say I hope you have a speedy recovery and enjoy your trip! Maybe if you contact their special needs department they can arrange for someone to help you up the gangway at embarkation, as I can imagine that may be a challenge.

I am so sorry this is happening to you.

I would call Carnival's special needs department to discuss the worst case scenario, and determine what options are available and which must be requested or reserved in advance, and what can be requested at embarkation.

Plan for the worst, hope for the best, and follow your surgeon's advice.

I hope you have a successful surgery, a speedy recovery, and enjoy your cruise.

It all depends if you are 1) no weight bearing; 2) partial weight bearing; 3) full weight bearing.

1) no weight bearing..........I would look at renting an electric scooter or wheel chair to get around. There are a couple of companies that rent them and they are waiting for you onboard. You still will need to let the special needs dept know in advance to have a wheel chair for you to board the ship. specialneedsatsea.com or scootaround.com

2) partial weight bearing..............I would look at a knee scooter. You can purchase one from Amazon. Depending on what you are looking at doing some come with small wheels and others have large wheels (all terrain). You can also rent one from the above company but the rental would cost you as much as the purchase.

3) full weight bearing..............you will just need your crutches to get around. You might want to have a wheel chair available to get on the ship.

I am fixing to have my third foot surgery on the same foot. It is scheduled the week after we get off the Freedom. I will be 3-4 months no weight bearing this time. I have a cruise at 7 weeks post op. I have already purchased a wheel chair with the leg extension ($115) and an all terrain knee scooter ($118) so that I can get around when we go on the cruise.

At 10 weeks PO, your incision should be healed so no need to request a bio-hazard bag for the dressing changes to be put in.

Definitely look at getting an Evenup for your other foot. This helps keep you level and prevents back issues from walking uneven.

Edited by jetskier

Wishes for a speedy recovery!

I would wait until closer to your cruise (a couple of weeks out, anyway). At that time you can better assess your mobility needs. If you decide that a mobility scooter is necessary for you, Scootaround will be more than happy to allow you to pay for one LOL. They will deliver it to your stateroom and you leave it behind there when you leave. I believe that they require 10-14 days notice.

Carnival wheelchair assistance (and wheelchair assistance in the airports) don't have the same pre-notification requirement. Just let someone know when you get there and they will provide that assistance for you. Be aware that wheelchair assistance is only available for boarding and debarkation, not at ports. If I were you, I would definitely use it for boarding (those ramps can be steep and hard to navigate in a boot).

Lots of experience with wearing a boot. Contact special needs department. You will probably do better with a shower chair, since the ship seems to rock and there isn't much stability in those showers! I just had my 15th surgery on my legs, with 16th scheduled for November. I have problems with steep ramps and stairs, so if I'm having problems, I have them help me on and off the ship.

There are also different levels of handicapped rooms on some of the ships-- I'm in an ambulatory accessible room next May on the Magic. you might try to see if one is available on your ship.

Don't know if this is useful, but we did a 7 day on Carnival Conquest. My wife had an ankle injury, so she was in a wheelchair. It was easy enough getting her on the ship and around the ship. As long as you have someone to push, you should be OK with a wheelchair. Our challenge from that cruise was our departure port of New Orleans: NOT wheelchair friendly!

Hi Stargate Fan

If it was necessary and if there is someone that can push you around in a wheelchair, just wait until right before the cruise to see if you need one. It would be easy enough to either buy or rent one. As already stated you would be able to get wheelchair assistance at airports (if you bring your own they will transport it for free) and also to board and debark the cruise ship (1st. & last day).

If no one was able to push you and you did need a scooter, you would be able to rent. The only issue in this situation, is that you would be better off speaking with the "special needs" dept.. The issue is that you would need to bring your scooter into the cabin for charging and not all scooters will fit through all the doors. That is why an accessible cabin is generally suggested for passengers using an electric scooter. If you look online you will be able to see the width of the scooter you might consider renting. You could wait till you are much closer to sailing so you are more certain of your future needs, but if you do need an accessible cabin, one might not be available.

Of course your doctor might be right and you won't need any assistance.

hope this helps

I broke my foot about 2 weeks prior to a cruise awhile back and was put in a boot rather than a cast. As long as you are allowed to bear weight you should not have a problem with anything, especially since it is waterproof. If you are still in pain at that point, or if walking long distances or up steep ramps is a problem, you can request wheel chair assistance at the port and they will provide a wheel chair and attendant to get you onto the ship. The same thing for disembarkation. One thing I would recommend is to avoid beaches as getting sand in one of those boots is AWFUL and walking without it is very painful. I took my boot off at the beach (thinking I was doing myself a favor) and it was very sore to walk on the sand since it is so unstable and shifts under your feet.

By 8 weeks post op you should be able to gauge what your tolerance is for walking distances, etc and you can make a decision then and still have plenty of time to make arrangements if you need a wheelchair or scooter for the duration of the cruise.

I'm guessing your surgeon wants you walking at that point That's the plan.

or they figure you'll heal better with a blended drink in your hands. I like your way of thinking.

I'd play it by ear. You might be just fine to be up and walking. I sure do hope so.

You can rent a scooter and request assistance closer to the cruise if you still feel it's necessary. Good idea.

Thank you.

I have never been in this situation, but wanted to say I hope you have a speedy recovery and enjoy your trip! Maybe if you contact their special needs department they can arrange for someone to help you up the gangway at embarkation, as I can imagine that may be a challenge. That's a good idea.

Thank you for your kind words.

I am so sorry this is happening to you.

I would call Carnival's special needs department to discuss the worst case scenario, and determine what options are available and which must be requested or reserved in advance, and what can be requested at embarkation. Great idea.

Plan for the worst, hope for the best, As the saying goes, man plans, G-D laughs.

and follow your surgeon's advice. My surgeon is fantastic. We trust him and his advice completely.

I hope you have a successful surgery, a speedy recovery, and enjoy your cruise.

Thank you, thank you, and thank you, we will.

It all depends if you are 1) no weight bearing; 2) partial weight bearing; 3) full weight bearing.

#3!!!!!

1) no weight bearing..........I would look at renting an electric scooter or wheel chair to get around. There are a couple of companies that rent them and they are waiting for you onboard. You still will need to let the special needs dept know in advance to have a wheel chair for you to board the ship. specialneedsatsea.com or scootaround.com

Oh, I sure hope not! 42 days of knee-scooter, wheelie chair, and crutches after the first surgery was tough. This time might be six to eight weeks. That's another 42 to 56 days. Ugh! But, I shall be the perfectly patient patient...again.

Thank you for the rental info. I didn't even know where to start.

2) partial weight bearing..............I would look at a knee scooter. You can purchase one from Amazon. Depending on what you are looking at doing some come with small wheels and others have large wheels (all terrain). You can also rent one from the above company but the rental would cost you as much as the purchase.

A knee scooter is being delivered to the house later this week. While convenient, it did take a toll on my knee back in April and May. I think we'd go with a motorized scooter or wheel chair for the cruise.

3) full weight bearing..............you will just need your crutches to get around. You might want to have a wheel chair available to get on the ship.

This is the plan! But, as the saying goes, man plans, G-D laughs. We are mentally prepared for my needing some assistance device.

I am fixing to have my third foot surgery on the same foot. It is scheduled the week after we get off the Freedom. I will be 3-4 months no weight bearing this time. I have a cruise at 7 weeks post op. I have already purchased a wheel chair with the leg extension ($115) and an all terrain knee scooter ($118) so that I can get around when we go on the cruise.

Three to four months? I'm sorry I complained about six to eight weeks. I wish you the best.

At 10 weeks PO, your incision should be healed so no need to request a bio-hazard bag for the dressing changes to be put in.

It was after the last surgery so I hope it will be for this one too.

Definitely look at getting an Evenup for your other foot. This helps keep you level and prevents back issues from walking uneven.

Best thing ever invented!! I show everyone I see walking in a boot about EVENUP.

I have the VACOped, which is made specifically for Achilles tendon recovery. The surgeon will put on right after surgery. I can swim in it and it comes with an extra liner so I can change out the wet one to let it dry, put in the dry liner, and continue on with enjoying our cruise.

Is a VACOcast suitable for you for after surgery? Google VACOcast. There are different types of boots and all are suitable for water fun.

Wishes for a speedy recovery!

Thank you.

I would wait until closer to your cruise (a couple of weeks out, anyway). At that time you can better assess your mobility needs. If you decide that a mobility scooter is necessary for you, Scootaround will be more than happy to allow you to pay for one LOL. They will deliver it to your stateroom and you leave it behind there when you leave. I believe that they require 10-14 days notice.

I do have time. I will follow my surgeon's orders 110% so that I heal well.

Carnival wheelchair assistance (and wheelchair assistance in the airports) don't have the same pre-notification requirement. Just let someone know when you get there and they will provide that assistance for you. Be aware that wheelchair assistance is only available for boarding and debarkation, not at ports. If I were you, I would definitely use it for boarding (those ramps can be steep and hard to navigate in a boot).

Heck, the ramps can be difficult without a boot! Some are so steep and windy.

I'll contact Special Needs as we get closer and know my situation.

Thank you for the advice.

Lots of experience with wearing a boot. Contact special needs department. You will probably do better with a shower chair, since the ship seems to rock and there isn't much stability in those showers!

Excellent idea! I don't have stability in my own shower, and our house doesn't rock. (It's amazing how vital an Achilles tendon is to just stand still. I often start to tip over because of lack of balance on my left foot.)

I just had my 15th surgery on my legs, with 16th scheduled for November. I have problems with steep ramps and stairs, so if I'm having problems, I have them help me on and off the ship.

I'm so sorry. I wish you well.

There are also different levels of handicapped rooms on some of the ships-- I'm in an ambulatory accessible room next May on the Magic. you might try to see if one is available on your ship.

The cruise is mostly sold out since it's in November. My husband will take fabulous care of me.

Thank you for the advice.

Don't know if this is useful, but we did a 7 day on Carnival Conquest. My wife had an ankle injury, so she was in a wheelchair. It was easy enough getting her on the ship and around the ship. As long as you have someone to push, you should be OK with a wheelchair. Our challenge from that cruise was our departure port of New Orleans: NOT wheelchair friendly!

My husband and I are cruising with another couple so I have plenty of potential wheelchair pushers.

Uh, oh, we're sailing out of NOLA. What was so tough about it?

Hi Stargate Fan

Hi Nic6318!

If it was necessary and if there is someone that can push you around in a wheelchair, just wait until right before the cruise to see if you need one. It would be easy enough to either buy or rent one. As already stated you would be able to get wheelchair assistance at airports (if you bring your own they will transport it for free) and also to board and debark the cruise ship (1st. & last day).

Good idea.

If no one was able to push you and you did need a scooter, you would be able to rent. The only issue in this situation, is that you would be better off speaking with the "special needs" dept.. The issue is that you would need to bring your scooter into the cabin for charging and not all scooters will fit through all the doors. That is why an accessible cabin is generally suggested for passengers using an electric scooter.

I will definitely contact Special Needs.

If you look online you will be able to see the width of the scooter you might consider renting. You could wait till you are much closer to sailing so you are more certain of your future needs, but if you do need an accessible cabin, one might not be available.

The cruise is in November and is mostly sold out. Plus, we love having a Lido balcony.

Of course your doctor might be right and you won't need any assistance.

That's his and my plan!!!

hope this helps

It does help, thank you.

There are two very recent threads about ankle surgery. Search for them.

Might want to ask for a shower chair. Could you use a knee scooter?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks, I'll look for those threads.

kjunea also suggested the shower chair. Great idea.

A knee scooter is being delivered to the house later this week. While convenient, it did take a toll on my knee back in April and May. I think we'd go with a motorized scooter or wheel chair for the cruise.

I broke my foot about 2 weeks prior to a cruise awhile back and was put in a boot rather than a cast. Ugh, I'm sorry.

As long as you are allowed to bear weight you should not have a problem with anything, especially since it is waterproof. That's the plan.

If you are still in pain at that point, or if walking long distances or up steep ramps is a problem, you can request wheel chair assistance at the port and they will provide a wheel chair and attendant to get you onto the ship. The same thing for disembarkation.

I'll keep that in mind.

One thing I would recommend is to avoid beaches as getting sand in one of those boots is AWFUL and walking without it is very painful. I took my boot off at the beach (thinking I was doing myself a favor) and it was very sore to walk on the sand since it is so unstable and shifts under your feet.

I was thinking about what to do at the beach. I am considering using a waterproof cast cover, the kind used for showering, over my boot to walk on the sand. If it keeps water out, why wouldn't it keep sand out, right?

By 8 weeks post op you should be able to gauge what your tolerance is for walking distances, etc and you can make a decision then and still have plenty of time to make arrangements if you need a wheelchair or scooter for the duration of the cruise.

Exactly!

Thanks for the advice. My crutches might be traveling with us for those times that my leg is tired.

If only there were lots of places to sit on a cruise ship. ;p

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Thank you so much!

I do think that frozen drinks, especially ones consumed while onboard a cruise ship, aid the healing process.

Surely this has been proven. If not, I'm happy to be a case study!

Love your perspective on the insurance deductible. I am the same way with mine.

I hate that I have to have a second surgery, especially so close to the first.

Sadly, the same happened in 2016.

Here's to a surgery-free 2019 for both of us!

Ten weeks and still in a boot? Wow. I had achilles surgery (that included reshaping my heel bone, removing a bone spur and relocating a tendon (Flexor Hallucis Longus Tendon transfer) and was out of the book walking inside of six weeks (10 days no weight bearing soft cast, 4 weeks walking boot). Glad to read you had an orthopedic surgeon rather than a podiatrist perform the surgery.

Ten weeks and still in a boot? Wow. I had achilles surgery (that included reshaping my heel bone, removing a bone spur and relocating a tendon (Flexor Hallucis Longus Tendon transfer) and was out of the book walking inside of six weeks (10 days no weight bearing soft cast, 4 weeks walking boot). Glad to read you had an orthopedic surgeon rather than a podiatrist perform the surgery.

I was NWB for six weeks and was out of the boot by eight after the first rupture.

I'm having the FHL tendon transfer this time. Boy do I want to pick your brain! How are you doing now? Any tips?