Which 7-8 itinerary.

oceans52

Hi, going to book cruise but would like to know which itinerary people liked best. I would like to visit pretty towns. These are ones I've been looking at. Rhine and Moselle. Cologne - Cochem - Trier - Bernkastel - Koblenz, Boppard - Rhine Gorge & Rudesheim.

Cruise 2

Cologne - Koblenz, Boppard - Rhine Gorge & Mainz - Heidelberg - Strasbourg, Colmar - Rudesheim - Cologne

Cruise 3

Mainz - Miltenberg, Wertheim - Wurzburg - Rothenburg - Bamberg - Nuremburg.

Cruise 4

Cologne - Koblenz, Boppard - Rhine Gorge, Rudesheim - Speyer - Strasbourg - Breisach, Black Forest - Bernese Oberland, Lucerne.

This has taken me a whole hour to type in. So I'm not very efficient with keyboard. Looking to go June, July or August. Nothing booked so if anyone has other idea's please say. Thanks.

I have been to most of these either cruising or renting an auto and driving. If there is a particular interest suggest you check out the cities on tripadvisor for more info. Enjoy the history, architecture and beauty of these cities. Realize that most stops are 1 day which only gives you a taste but perhaps a reason to return to delve deaper into the cities that attract you.

I'm a big fan of the Moselle. I think that it has the best scenery of any river I've sailed thus far. I also love the Roman ruins in Trier. The Reichsburg castle in Cochem is also a fun attraction. If you're a fan of Roman history can manage it, you should consider skipping out of the tour in Trier and visiting the Landesmuseum.

You might also consider the "Paris to Prague" itineraries, but they typically run 10-12 days with stays in Paris and Prague before and after. If that's too long, look at Avalon. They let you do just the cruise portion--Luxembourg to Nuremburg or the reverse. That way you get both the Moselle and the Rhine gorge. Avalon also has a Luxembourg to Amsterdam trip. We did a cruise ending in Nuremberg a couple of years ago and caught a train to Frankfurt for our flight home. It's pretty simple.

They all look good (and over the years I have been to all those towns and cities) but my vote is #1 because of the Moselle. Do you have to go in the summer? I prefer spring - less crowded, less expensive and less likely to have overly warm days. ENJOY

what has struck me about your choices is the fact that all start in Cologne or Mainz. May I assume you are already within the boundaries of wider Europe not having to make the big pond flight? If this is the case I for a moment assume that you can go again on another cruise. then I would skip the Moselle and go for no 4. A bit more indepth on the Rhine ports.

If you think you will not do another cruise soon then I would go for no 1.

Does no. 1 stop in Rüdesheim or have you just missed out the return leg to Cologne?

notamermaid

Thanks for replies. Eight of us going, based in uk abd Ireland. Rüdesheim is not in itinerary 1. A few couples going have dates which makes a few weeks unavailable for them. We have a 5 day Christmas markets cruise booked for December. Price is important as i have 6 other people to agree. Would hope weather to be a bit better in May, June July.

I definitely favour #1. The Moselle is very scenic all the way from Koblenz to Trier and the towns are very charming. The Rhine Gorge with its castles is spectacular but otherwise the Rhine is not terribly pretty at all.

Sent from my iPad using Forums