All Things Avalon

FuelScience

We are about to sign up for our third Avalon cruise in the past five years. We've had Cat A cabins both previous cruises but All that are left now are Cat P- a bunch of them. I really don't feel much need to pay more for a cabin identical to Cat A, just higher, but we have no choice. My real concern is possible noise with people walking around on the upper deck. Can you hear the footsteps on your cabin? That would be a real bummer?

Thanks.

We were on the Artistry II in an upper level cabin and I can't recall much noise from above. Maybe a bit when the crew was straightening up but ear plugs kept me from having any sleep loss as a result.

Thanks, that is why I am spending many hours on here to learn :)

I will admit not thrilled at all at such a late dinner hour (I like to eat early and relax and go to sleep) Having to stay up etc later than I like does not thrill me, BUT my desire to take this trip overrules my dislike. I will just have to suck it up for the trip. That is one thing I will admit I like about ocean trips.

We are early eaters as well. We usually picked up snacks while we were in town to help tide us over. Cheeses, bread, fruit, etc. Also we brought protein powder and bars for healthy snacks. There was also always fresh fruit in our cabin at all times.

I travel solo, a long meal with many courses sounds very very painful. I am a fast eat and run person (paramedic, you learn to eat fast) I absolutely HATE sitting in restaurants and would rather be boiled in oil than sit for a long meal.

Maybe I will rethink going on this trip on this line although I have already paid a deposit. I am now questioning if I will enjoy the experience or not.

For you that love to sit and do the whole 2-hour dinner with courses and wine, more power to you, I shudder at the very thought.

Everyone seems to be very social so perhaps if you strike up a friendship you will have others to sit with and share chats and all which will maybe make it less painful for you. I hope you go and give it a try....at least once.

I am a solo cruiser (for many. many years on many cruises).....I have to agree with Jazz.....dinner on a river cruise is also a sociable event (besides eating your meal). Not sure how much research you have done but it is not the same as an ocean cruise.

For me, I love meeting new people and dinner is fun.

For Newcruiser, I hope you decide to step outside of your comfort zone and give it a try. My river cruise was in 2016 and it was one of the best cruises I have ever taken:)

I have traveled alone on work, and found that gourmet dining was a mixed blessing without a companion. But you won't be sitting alone watching the flower arrangement wilt while waiting for your next course – you will be at a table with 5-7 other well-traveled people in the midst of an interesting conversation. You are [i assume] interested in this trip because it will give you new and different experiences – just consider dinner another one of those!

I am a solo cruiser (for many. many years on many cruises).....I have to agree with Jazz.....dinner on a river cruise is also a sociable event (besides eating your meal). Not sure how much research you have done but it is not the same as an ocean cruise.
You should also know that generally there is no assigned seating for river cruises, so you can move around and find people you like to dine with.

Appreciate these various good points and follow-ups related to dining on a river ship. From last month, doing our first river cruise, there are clearly "differences" compared to larger ocean cruise ships. For our Avalon Mekong River sailing, there were just 33 passengers. Lots of flexibility! Plus, fun, interesting discussions with others at dinner. My sense with Avalon is that if there are some special request or needs in connection with dining, then ask. If reasonable, they seemed willing to try to adapt and provide what fits for the passengers.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 198,682 views for this posting.

Yeah, that won't work for me. I am plant based, I do not eat sugar and things like that. Hopefully room service works. I do not like to eat that late.

Absolutely NO room service! One dinner sitting at 7pm.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

we did amsterdam to budapest last june and every night about 6.45pm everybody would meet in lounge to get a briefing of next days activities by the cruise director and this was a good way of breaking ice with fellow passengers you hadnt meet yet , as most people would invite you to join them for dinner

I’m a ‘newbie’ on river cruising and my husband and I booked a Sept. 2019 river cruise with Avalon just last month. Now we see the exact same category of staterooms for that same week, are $200 p/p lower than what we booked at.

Does anyone know....will Avalon honor the current sale price now advertised to those of us who paid the full price last month?

Thank you all!!

I saw a sale on after I booked, and my TA was able to get me the extra discount. I also put an extra deposit on, so I would have an invoice reflecting the discount. Worth a try to see if you can get it, I booked in April last year, and the sale was in Sept.

I’m a ‘newbie’ on river cruising and my husband and I booked a Sept. 2019 river cruise with Avalon just last month. Now we see the exact same category of staterooms for that same week, are $200 p/p lower than what we booked at.

Does anyone know....will Avalon honor the current sale price now advertised to those of us who paid the full price last month?

Thank you all!!

Generally no... your agent may be able to price match but typically it will come out of their own pocket (commission). River cruising is completely different from Ocean Cruising. If you read the same print of the current promotion I’m sure it excludes already booked guests.

We sailed with Avalon in Sept 2016 Amsterdam to Budapest and it was wonderful.

Is the free wi-fi available in every cabin, or just at the internet station?Also, how reliable is the signal?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It's available all over the ship (maybe not on the sundeck). Internet connection slow at times. The worst is probably when people return from excursions and try to upload photos. Your mileage may vary!

Is your comment specific to Avalon? Can you provide more details?

Politics, water levels, ship maintenance, low booking, other??

There is a separate thread on this. Avalon has cancelled all of their 2019 Irrawaddy trips due to low booking, which I am sure is, at least partly, due to the situation with the Rohingya moslems in Myanmar.

There is a separate thread on this. Avalon has cancelled all of their 2019 Irrawaddy trips due to low booking, which I am sure is, at least partly, due to the situation with the Rohingya moslems in Myanmar.
Thanks for the info. This reinforces my belief that if there is something you really want to do grab it because tomorrow it may not be available. We spent two weeks in Myanmar in November 2016, including 9 nights on the Irrawaddy with Vantage. A wonderful trip but rather bizarre to be walking down a dirt road in a town that (like most there) has no expectation of getting electricity and have MiG 29s fly over at low altitude. I’m not sure if civilians will ever control the military there, but at least I found a time window with relatively easy access.

Very good points by Thom about timing and needing to take advantage of these opportunities in special and unique locations. Sad to hear about these challenges in this specific part of the world. Am planning now on a Athens to Dubai, 20-day cruise with Oceania. This will include two days for Luxor in Egypt. Have always wanted to visit this historic area, but there have been recent "ups and downs" as to when is best and safe for exploring in that part of the world.

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.! Just completed a Jan. 21-Feb. 20, 2018, first adventure through Southeast Asia with stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before traveling all over Vietnam and Cambodia. This includes seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! See more at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

Thanks for adding that info. My agent is saying that it is more than likely due to political issues. The 2018 cruises seem safe for now...but I would be aware and watch for issues.
I am on one of those 2018 tours. My sailing has 8 cabins sold, there are 2 others with 9 and 12, and quite a number with only 4 cabins sold. I do notice that they have reduced prices recently. I hope it goes; this might be my only chance.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Forums mobile app

Thanks for adding that info. My agent is saying that it is more than likely due to political issues. The 2018 cruises seem safe for now...but I would be aware and watch for issues.

On the Avalon Waterways website, they do show all of the various dates and sailing for 2019. BUT, then all of these timing options to the end of 2019 says that they are "SOLD OUT". Strange way to market and explain these "things". Will be interesting to see how all of this woks out. Good luck to gnome12 for later this year.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 198,930 views for this posting.

My guess is the company is canceling due to poor sales, and that a major reason for poor sales is the political situation. The ethnic cleansing and near war in the North causes non-bookings for both fear and as a protest at what is happening. On Vantage November 2016 we had a near full 60 passenger chartered boat.

Terry: I found Karnak temple on the edge of Luxor VERY impressive. And given that my “been there” list includes Taj Mahal, Angkor Wat, Great Wall, Easter Island, Machu Pichu, etc I am not that easy to impress. ENJOY

On the Avalon Waterways website, they do show all of the various dates and sailing for 2019. BUT, then all of these timing options to the end of 2019 says that they are "SOLD OUT". Strange way to market and explain these "things". Will be interesting to see how all of this woks out.

That's kind of funny. On my desktop I saw only NOT AVAILABLE but on my phone I see also the sold out notice.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Forums mobile app

I have read through this whole thread and it has been very helpful. Daisi showed me where it was. Thank you.

Some family members & I are going on an Avalon cruise & we've never been on Avalon before. We've been on Uniworld & Viking. While you've answered so many questions, I have a few more:

1) Do you have to run into dinner at 7:00? One of the very few things that annoys me about river cruises, is that the port briefing is right before dinner. We like to relax a little & then go into dinner. We could do that Uniworld so I'm wondering if we can on Avalon.

2) How large are the tables in the dining room? Are there tables for 2 or 4? We like meeting new people, but occasionally we like to be by ourselves. I'm particularly concerned about large tables after seeing the discussion on the noise in the dining room. I think the smallest table on the Viking cruise in China was for 8 or ten people & you literally had to shout at the person sitting next to you because the place was so noisy. It was very unpleasant.

3) If buses are used on the tours (either the free ones or the ones you pay for) how crowded are they? Uniworld & Viking filled maybe a third of the buses. Even with family members, its nice to spread out a little & have leg-room.

4) Someone earlier in the thread said that cocktails were "reasonably" priced. I wonder if anyone has any more specific information. On vacation we'll definitely indulge in a fun martini & I'm just wondering what the price would be like.

Thanks in advance for your help.