Norwegian lines. How gay friendly

photocat75

usually go with princess as they are very gay friendly but a few friends are planing a trip in dec. And we are a bunch of "old lesbians" and want to be freeto be ourselves (no dancing around bra less wrapped in pride flags). Just comfortable

I would consider Norwegian Cruise Lines to be very gay friendly. Every cruise I've been on with them has had a scheduled gathering announced in the daily paper. It's not always well attended, but that varies with the number of gays on board and their preferences. I've never had any discrimination issues whatsoever from any staff. Have them organize the beds any way you wish. No one will blink an eye.

Completely agree.

We have sailed with them most often and with the exception of one room steward have never felt anything but welcome from staff and crew. In the case of that steward, it must have not been his week, as we saw him several years later and he was very friendly and said he was sorry we weren't in one of his cabins! LOL

As MeHeart mentioned, Norwegian announces an LGBT/Friends of Dorthy gettogether in the daily and we have met some great folks at these. In some cases (particularly longer cruises, we have interacted with the cruise director and had them change the time or location of these gatherings to better suit the size or wishes of the group. On our Panama Canal cruise, the group manager and the guest services officer both came out to hubby and I as having gay siblings and how great it was to see the FOD group having such a good time. They joined us and about 10 others for our sail away party as we left San Francisco under the Golden Gate....I think they hated to go back to work! LOL

Have a great cruise!

My first NCL Cruise was a RSVP charter and I was delighted to find out that the NCL staff were incredibly gay friendly.

On subsequent cruises, I've always come back to NCL having a great experience including celebrating our anniversary with our husband (NCL sent a special cake to Le Bistro for us) on our previous cruise on the Jewel.

Fleet wide you'll find a listing in Latitudes, the daily listing of events, where the Friends of Dorothy/LGBT gathering is... usually its right around 6:30 p.m. in one of the bars, and is sometimes hosted by a member of the cruise director/activities staff. It's usually a mix of men and women, and depending on who is on your cruise, can be a lot of fun.

I can remember one memorable evening aboard the Jade when the group grew to about 20 people and lasted about 3 hours with people telling funny stories as the drinks flowed. The bartenders certainly were enjoying the tips so they ordered some pizzas delivered to the bar for us.

But we have never gotten one bit of homophobia from a member of the crew... no awkwardness about one bed for two men, or a table for 2 for dinner. Occasionally you get a stare from other passengers who may not see a lot of gay or lesbian couples back home, but that's about it.

Very gay friendly. Just got off the Dawn and had a great time. Met some other gay people and had zero problem with anyone. No funny looks or comments. Many cruise staff are gay too so and there is that "knowing" connection with them which is nice. The LGBT meet up was always at 9:00 PM so which conflicted with many other shows and events. I don't think anyone went after the first night or 2 but we kept seeing people from it on board and always stopped to chat.

I agree. I have traveled on several cruise lines and have never experienced homophobia on any of them. But Norwegian goes the extra mile to be inclusive and that is why I only sail with them now. I just went on the Panama cruise and the staff were amazing to the LGBT/FOD group that formed. Nothing negative to say. Enjoy the cruise

NCL may be gay friendly, but with their all you can drink packages, some other cruisers can be nasty. Not tolerated by the cruise line or staff, but still a bother. The only time we were ever accosted or called names was aboard the NCL Escape last April. Not a nice ship either. . . .

• 1 month later...

We are two Gay Men and have travelled almost exclusively on NCL. They are very-LGBT friendly and have nightly mixers on board - attendance depends on the number of LGBT cruisers, of course. We have always found at least a group of 12-15 at these meetings. Hope this helps.

Not sure about NCL, but Celebrity sure is. If you want a drink at the Martini bar, you damn well better be 2 guys holding hands. My dad and uncle tried to get a drink here and could not even get served. We told them they should've acted like they were a couple, and maybe they would've been served. This is the only instance I've ever heard of the staff being one-sided. The ship's staff is always super nice and very accommodating to EVERYONE that I have seen. That is why this was surprising to me.

• 1 year later...

My husband and I are Gold NCL members and we sailed on the GEM from Quebec to Boston last Sept 2019. We found the LGBT meeting at 7pm mixed in with the Karaoke group. The timing and the mixing of different groups was a disaster. So I complained and requested a 6pm time and a smaller place to meet without the horrible loud singers. NCL responded immediately and the future meetings were much better. I am sure each ship is different but so far we have been very happy with how we LGBT people have been served and treated. We have made lasting friendships with the new people we met.

2019 NCL Gem Quebec Port.png

• Like 2