Halfway to Hana or West Maui Tour

Sandyrella

Lastly, we are not against taking a cab or Uber but is there public transportation from Lahaina to the beach?

There is a public bus between Lahaina (back of the Wharf Cinema Center) & Whalers Village shopping center in the middle of Ka’anapali Beach. But it’s not frequent & costs $2 per ride and could be crowded when a cruise ship is anchored off Lahaina.

https://www.mauicounty.gov/605/Bus-Service-Information

https://www.mauicounty.gov/DocumentCenter/Home/View/4353

• 3 weeks later...

I just returned from my Hawaii cruise. I did the full RTH. It was a long van ride with lots of quick stops and not much time to see anything at each stop. Our longest stop was 20 minutes at a state park. I don't recommend this tour unless you prefer an inactive experience where you watch the world go by rather than experience it. I talked with others on my ship and many enjoyed the Best of Maui excursion. Also a full day but they had time to experience Maui not just drive past it.

• 2 weeks later...
I just returned from my Hawaii cruise. I did the full RTH. It was a long van ride with lots of quick stops and not much time to see anything at each stop. Our longest stop was 20 minutes at a state park. I don't recommend this tour unless you prefer an inactive experience where you watch the world go by rather than experience it. I talked with others on my ship and many enjoyed the Best of Maui excursion. Also a full day but they had time to experience Maui not just drive past it.

Thanks for the feedback! Did you book through the cruise line or independently? Im hoping our Taste of Hana tour will be a better experience.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for the feedback! Did you book through the cruise line or independently? Im hoping our Taste of Hana tour will be a better experience.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You can do what you want if you get off the van and drive yourself- it’s easy, cost effective if you bring a few people with you, and not stressful at all. Those vans have to be the worst vehicles to do that drive in.

You can do what you want if you get off the van and drive yourself- it’s easy, cost effective if you bring a few people with you, and not stressful at all. Those vans have to be the worst vehicles to do that drive in.

I’m sure that you make a very valid point but we prefer to have a guide that will give us a bit of history of the area and each of our stops. We aren’t on a cruise ship sponsored excursion but are a small group of 10 which will hopefully allow for some flexibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I did the RTH ten years ago on a ship excursion and thoroughly enjoyed it. I will be repeating next month with a private tour. I would not want to be the driver for this trip. It may be easy for some, but I cannot imagine that the driver sees anything but the road ahead. The Road to Hana is the riding of the road to Hana....it's not a beach day or an exploration day, it is a ride. You may prefer a different type of excursion, but the road to Hana is a ride in a vehicle. Even with the ship van, we made many stops...none very long but long enough to see what was there. You just need to know what kind of experience each type of excursion is so you can choose. From experience, my opinion is that you learn and see more with a guide, you have more fun doing it yourself....it's your choice.

We booked Robert's Heavenly Hana for our April trip. Last time we were on Princess and used only their tours and did one with the Maui Marine Center and a Rain Forest tour included. Wanted to do Hana tour this time but not a fan of NCL excursions as a rule. That said what to do on day 2? I am looking at NCL for a tour as we need to be sure we don't miss the ship. Has anybody done a ships tour on Maui on day 2? Think I read all these pages and may have missed it. We are not big beach people so shagging to a beach isn't for us.

Thanks as always, Laura