P&O Britannia for gay honeymoon?

crewmember59

Hi there,

I have cruised with P&O for many years, initially with my partner and, since 2012, solo following his death. It is a more traditional style of cruise line and is very British. Feel free to ask any specific questions but I have not sailed on Britannia.

• 5 weeks later...

My wife and I went on a P&O cruise (on Ventura) after having been on three RCI cruises. We did not have any issues with other passengers. It is worth noting that the average age is a lot higher than on RCI if that is an issue.

As Britboys says, it is very British and both my wife and I did not enjoy that aspect of P&O despite being aware that was the case before we went on the cruise. Keeping in mind, that is our impression and others may disagree with that.

We would not go on P&O again but plenty of people love it. I did like that there was less focus on tips/gratuities on P&O and the service was on par with the service on RCI.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 1 month later...
Hi all

Any experience on P&O? Looking at Britannia early 2019, either transatlantic or Canary/Portugal two week cruise. Hopefully a suite. Any advice for when were on board the ship too?

Thanks

Hi and congratulations to you both!

My partner and I have sailed P&O several times now and, as others have said, it has a British outlook and the clientele can be older. That said, we've always seen a good mix of ages, even on the adult only ships. To date, we've always felt perfectly comfortable on board and had a lovely holiday or else we wouldn't go back time and again.

As for Britannia, we'll experience her for the first time in late June, so can't say more until after that! :)

My partner and I have sailed P&O only the once and on the Azura. We're definitely going to return. We wear the rainbow colours made up in a multi pointed pocket handkerchief to be worn with our formal attire. (four formal nights in 14 day cruise). Those who recognized the significance smiled and nodded those who did not, asked. We were very pleased by the reception aboard. Now there are bound to be a few passengers who do not fall into this category for they have sat across from us at the table. While they may not be friendly, they were polite enough to keep their thoughts to themselves.

• 2 weeks later...

We only sailed P&O once on the Azura. Our cabin steward seemed quite shocked when I asked him to push the beds together as per my booking request. He was Jamaican. It can have a slightly "colonial" feel I noticed at times and I have to say, it wasn't my favourite experience.

We have a always had a much warmer welcome on Royal Caribbean or Celebrity.

We (2 guys) have cruised on P & O numerous times and never had any issues, no problems with the queen bed configuration and found most of the staff to be very friendly.

We have also been on Britannia and enjoyed it very much, bit different style to a lot of other ships - she is more like a high class hotel than cruise ship but really nice.

It also helps that one of her Captains (Paul Brown) and cruise director (Neil Oliver) are gay and married!

Edited by chrisn9008
spelling mistake

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for the replys. After much deliberation we have decided to cancel the cruise after booking a lovely looking rear corner suite. We found a fab itinerary with MSC and will give us a chance to go back to Brazil. Thanks again for all your views. On a positive note though, i have booked a mini cruise on Ventura later this year with a large group of friends.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Forums mobile app