Bermuda repeals marriage equality

Ken_W

The Governor of Bermuda has decided to assist in the repeal of marriage equality in favor of domestic partnership http://www.joemygod.com/2018/02/07/bermuda-uk-appointed-governor-approves-repeal-sex-marriage-replaced-domestic-partners-law/

No more marriage equality on Cunard, who had promoted themselves gathering the gay $'s with weddings at sea.

Cunard isn't the problem (well, that's a matter of opinion) but how do you feel about Bermuda eliminating same-sex marriage?

The Governor of Bermuda has decided to assist in the repeal of marriage equality in favor of domestic partnership http://www.joemygod.com/2018/02/07/bermuda-uk-appointed-governor-approves-repeal-sex-marriage-replaced-domestic-partners-law/

No more marriage equality on Cunard, who had promoted themselves gathering the gay $'s with weddings at sea.

Cunard isn't the problem (well, that's a matter of opinion) but how do you feel about Bermuda eliminating same-sex marriage?

This is terrible. Any cruise ships going to Bermuda should change their itinerary and any Bermudan flagged cruise ships should participate in civil disobedience and refuse to abide by this bigoted and hateful ruling. Shameful.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is terrible. Any cruise ships going to Bermuda should change their itinerary and any Bermudan flagged cruise ships should participate in civil disobedience and refuse to abide by this bigoted and hateful ruling. Shameful.

Hey, I can think of a country where laws are being passed allowing everyone from bakers to doctors to refuse service to queers for religious reasons, where the chief executive, after promising to be a great friend to the LGBT community, chose an arch-homophobe as his second in command, refused to observe gay pride month, tried to kick transpeople out of the military, is appointing judges who will decide against gay rights, and just fired his entire AIDS panel. And he represents a party that officially condemned a pro-marriage judicial ruling and trans rights.

At least I don't live in Bermuda.

Hey, I can think of a country where laws are being passed allowing everyone from bakers to doctors to refuse service to queers for religious reasons, where the chief executive, after promising to be a great friend to the LGBT community, chose an arch-homophobe as his second in command, refused to observe gay pride month, tried to kick transpeople out of the military, is appointing judges who will decide against gay rights, and just fired his entire AIDS panel. And he represents a party that officially condemned a pro-marriage judicial ruling and trans rights.

Amen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Whilst I agree with the sentiments being expressed, it is sadly not good business for cruise lines to boycott countries with homophobic laws and attitudes. If they did, they would not call at:

Antigua, Barbados, Dominica, Grenada, Jamaica, St Kitts & Nevis, St Vincent, Trinidad & Tobago

Singapore

Kuwait, Oman, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, UAE

In the last three of those places I believe undertaking homosexual acts are still punishable by death!

It will need to be up to us and our supporters not to visit these places and support their regimes and/or economies.

Showing up on a cruise won't help the queer groups named in the article. Sending a check to them will.

I can't help but think that you're right. For all the years the community tried the "winning hearts and minds" approach, real progress was made when hard-money alliances were made (I'm thinking of Harvey Milk's campaign to protect local SF unions and their pension funds) and a good deal of both public disobedience and straight-shaming.

I can't help but think that you're right. For all the years the community tried the "winning hearts and minds" approach, real progress was made when hard-money alliances were made (I'm thinking of Harvey Milk's campaign to protect local SF unions and their pension funds) and a good deal of both public disobedience and straight-shaming.

Y'know, it's complicated. I went to Burma when some people were still boycotting but the junta had changed their policy so you could spend with private citizens, not just government-owned businesses. We did our best not to spend money directly with the government (though of course they got some of it) and felt we were getting money to entrepreneurs who needed cash, maybe even contact with the outside world. (Lucky I went then, because I sure wouldn't go now.)

It changes things if there's an organized boycott, as there was of Russia a few years back. Of course, most straight Russians are anti-gay and Putin doesn't care about a few gay cruisers, and I still won't go there (though I'd love to see the Hermitage). Because...well, it just makes me feel better. Same with Jamaica. Same with Chik-Fil-A, though they're not suffering because I don't drop a few bucks there on a sandwich. But there are gays who ate at Cracker Barrel when it was being boycotted just to show they were independent-minded or something. Or they just didn't care.

I've lived in San Francisco a really long time, and you reminded me of the Coors Beer boycott. Coors was not only putting money into anti-gay causes, but was anti-union as well. All the gay bars boycotted selling Coors and made a big cause out of it, and Coors did change their policies.

The people who get me are those who ask, "Is it safe for queers to go to Russia?" Well, yeah, if you're being ferried around on a ship's tour you're going to be a whole lot safer than the Russian queers you leave behind when you sail off elsewhere. But it's delusional to think that just being there and being a well-behaved homo (nothing flamboyant and no PDAs please) will somehow influence Russian policy. Go if you want to, but don't pretend you're improving the lot of the people who actually live there. You're just another privileged tourist.

Sing it sister!