Does anyone use the G&L Roll Calls anymore?

bobnjeff

Hi Bob and Jeff. This is the first I've heard of gay & lesbian roll calls. We usually do the ship roll calls and we have met some nice straight couples. I will try looking for the G&L roll call - I'm not even sure where it is ?

Shauna and Shanna

B&J

I agree with you, I always look for and/or start a G&L roll call but have only rarely had anyone else join. I've had similar experienc with the other LGBT cruising specific website/forum. :(

S&S

Look at the top of this page and there is a link to the G & L roll calls.

B&J

I agree with you, I always look for and/or start a G&L roll call but have only rarely had anyone else join. I've had similar experienc with the other LGBT cruising specific website/forum. :(

S&S

I'm the same..always start a G&L roll call when I go on a new cruise, rarely does anyone else reply, always makaes me wonder why not

Rod and Barry Australia

I'm the same..always start a G&L roll call when I go on a new cruise, rarely does anyone else reply, always makaes me wonder why not

Rod and Barry Australia

I realize some the cruises we choose are not your typical run of the mill stuff but we often run into family once onboard.

Do you guys know David Blake and David Smith from Edinburgh? Have you posted on his Facebook page? We met them years ago on a TA and then sailed with them from Sydney a few years ago. They were just in Sydney. We are coming to Sydney from Seattle on the Explorer of the Seas in October.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

B&J

S&S

Thanks, Clay ! duh, :o I found the link now !!

Our experience is usually like most of you have shared - we run into gays and lesbians (and even some nice straight people) once we are aboard and hanging around.

It's funny, ever notice how you keep bumping into the same people?

• 2 weeks later...

I have started two for the most recent cruises we have/are going on.

The one had over 400 views but only one post other than mine. Which supplies that there are people reciewing them, just not communicating at that level.

Have another one for an up and coming cruise ... so far the same thing. Viewers but no posters with 350+ viewers

I swear my gaydar doesn't work because I rarely run into others, mostly meet nice straight couples that we end up running into all over the ship..

Rod and Barry Australia

I guess one issue is: how many LGBTQ people on any cruise also happen to be Cruise Critic members?

Different scenario but we used to have very active G&L Roll Calls for RSVP cruises but now all of that has moved to Facebook. A lot more RSVP cruisers are on Facebook compared to being on Cruise Critic, for sure. For the 2017 RSVP cruise on the Koningsdam I had a Facebook group with over 1,500 members. Not everyone went on the cruise but the vast majority did.

• 2 weeks later...

Different scenario but we used to have very active G&L Roll Calls for RSVP cruises but now all of that has moved to Facebook. A lot more RSVP cruisers are on Facebook compared to being on Cruise Critic, for sure.

For me that is sad to hear. At one time I enjoyed facebook for keeping intouch with friends and family.

Now (4 years back) it has reached to the point I avoid it.

The G&L Roll Calls are buried deep within the bowels of Cruise Critic. I saw mention of them, but multiple attempts via CC's search feature did not find them. Later I just happened across them. Not much activity there, naturally. There's a new site for LGBT cruisers called Meet Me On Board you may want to try.

Hello,

I have 6 current LGBT roll-calls open. So far there have been 22 replies, including some by me, and 761 viewings (remind me not to become an estate agent).

I once met someone on board that said he had seen my roll-call but did not reply as he did not think I was real and was someone that just posted a picture of a Bear for fun.

As the says goes, there're nowt so queer as folk.

Regards,

Cublet

Hello,

I have 6 current LGBT roll-calls open. So far there have been 22 replies, including some by me, and 761 viewings (remind me not to become an estate agent).

I once met someone on board that said he had seen my roll-call but did not reply as he did not think I was real and was someone that just posted a picture of a Bear for fun.

As the says goes, there're nowt so queer as folk.

Regards,

Cublet

I have one open for our next cruise, has 6 replies (all mine) and 399 views

:(

• 2 weeks later...

We are cruising at the end of September 2019 on Celebrity through the Greek Isles. I posted this announcement about two months ago. I too have had a lot of “lookers” but no replies as of yet. But, it’s still well over a year out- but even then, I’m expecting just a few replies- we do meet people at the Friends of Dorothy gatherings and most don’t know about Cruise Critic.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all!!! Just a couple of comments.

We also use the G&L Roll call on here -- but as somebody previously mentioned there are so many ships and itineraries the G&L people are split up. I usually coordinate the main Roll Call for the group, and I have G&L members that just don't participate. We always meet a number of people on-board ship, that are familiar with CC, but don't post anything.

As for Facebook-- I personally do not use any social media due to privacy/identity theft issues and though this is a public site your whole life is not laid out there like social media in general.

As for Meet Me On-board -- it actually has been around several years, and I also have looked at it in the past, but as was noted, not much was happening there.

CC is a great site and I hope people return to use it more, as social media continues to have security issues and concerns.

Happy Sailing to all!!!:D

• 3 months later...
We have started many calls but with little or no response. It used to be a lot better.

Sailing on QM2 in Sept. Still no response. Was better 2 years ago. Nevertheless, still expect a good and fun group of gay men.

You'll probably find a good crowd at the nightly Friends of Dorothy/LGBT party at the Commodore Club.

Have a great time! We are going to Alaska in September for our anniversary. Maybe we'll run into some people at the G&L happy hours, or dancing. We usually meet some fun straight people who like to dance, too, so that's good.

Yes we use the G&L Roll Calls and met some great people there but generally get few replies.

I think the main problem that prevents more participation is that unless you know about the G&L roll calls you are not likely to stumble across them. When we go to the LGBT meetings most of the people we talk to do not know about it.

Even if you type in "Gay & Lesbian Cruisers", "Gay & Lesbian Roll Call" or "Gay & Lesbian" into the search engine on the Cruise Critic website you do not find them.

If you use the "Find Your Roll Call" tool and put in your cruise line, ship and month you only see the main roll call but not any of the G&L roll calls or any other specialty roll calls.

To find it you need to know to follow the path down through "Boards" to "Special Interest Cruising" and then look for "Gay & Lesbian Cruisers" and then search for your sailing. In the past I have had difficulty finding it so I created shortcuts to get there.

I usually see a lot of views but few replies. Not sure if those are people just interested in what other people are doing or people that are the cruise who don't care to post a reply.

Although it sounds a little like a stalker we have successfully looked at the members of the "Main" roll call to identify gay couples and then contacted them directly. Invariably they had no idea there was a G&L Roll Call but were glad to be contacted.

We will start another G&L Roll Call tonight for the 2019 Viking Southeast Asia Cruise we are on but I doubt we will see responses in the year we have until we sail.

Hi

Yes it is disappointing. I created one for my last cruise on the Norwegian Breakaway in the Baltic but not one replied. I did go to the FOD meets and those I met knew cruise critic but didn't see the roll call as its hidden down in the Boards. I appreciate that NCL does FOD meets and advertises them but I also really wish the cruise lines would not put them in areas that are so unclear to others that the meets are not successful. On NCL Breakaway it was in Shakers where it is a central open location that people use while waiting for the ice lounge or shopping. There is no way to have any kind of meeting. I still managed to meet some and made a friend so not all a loss. But I wish they were more successful.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that this may not be working well...I just started a Roll Call for a 9/23 sailing on the Oasis of the Seas. There will be people from all six gay choruses in Florida as well as a scattering from the DC chorus. It seems very strange that no one had stared a thread before now. (I did let the regular Roll Call know about the choruses also.)

I'm also going to start a Roll Call for our upcoming HAL cruise, and we'll see how that goes.

I have one open for our next cruise, has 6 replies (all mine) and 399 views

:(

I put two up last week...as I said in my earlier post. More than 90 views each, and no replies. Nowt queer as folk, indeed.

I think the way these special interest roll calls being buried in a different part of the site is a barrier Cruise Critic should look at how to fix. Also, having only one roll call per cruise when a ship can often have between 1,000 and 5,000 passengers is limiting. (OTOH, it would be hell to try to follow 10 roll call threads for a single cruise.) Attaching some kind of link from the cruise's general roll call when a special interest cruise is started might increase views and the liklihood of responses. Given issues with different special interests and laws around the world, it could just take you to the special interest board, then you could check your own interests.

If Cruise Critic wants to be a central "go-to" site for people who take passenger ships, it needs to do something to make it easier to encourage people. We have run into LGBTQ people on our cruises and we have also met some wonderful straight couples. We have also put up with some truely boorish behavior. (Though I admit that several make great stories - I like to tell them while we're on a ship.)

Happy Sailing!