Final payment - the ultimate, definitive list (perhaps)

notamermaid

Recent discussions concerning final payment for a river cruise have left me surprised - again - to read how much terms and conditions can differ from country to country. Or is it just different from one cruise line to another?

I want to know: what are the terms and conditions then? Help me create a list, please, for all to read and compare. When is final payment day? When did you pay, did you have a deal, etc? If you have been on more than one cruise the last one is probably enough to mention, unless you went with different companies.

To start off I give you my river cruise details (I know this is not representative, but I just want to make clear what sort of info I mean): Country of booking Germany, Transocean (German company), booked through TA, train journey added and paid together with cruise, regular payment according to the terms and conditions of final payment 21 days before the start of the cruise. Deposit of 10% at booking.

Thank you.

notamermaid

Vantage in the USA

$500 per person deposit.

Final payment due 90 or 120 days before departure.

10% discount on total cost of cruise if final payment is made with echeck a year before travel (although we recently got this deal for an April cruise booked in July).

I just want to note that for the last few years at least, Uniworld's early booking discounts required payment in full at time of booking, at least fron Canada.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Forums mobile app

I just booked with Uniworld 2 weeks ago and they were no longer offering an early booking discount for payment in full. Previous trips I have taken advantage of that as the discount beat the measly interest pid by my bank.

In trying to reserve a Viking cruise on the Danube for July 2019, we are told we must pay in full by this June - a whole 13 months in advance of the cruise. This seems excessively early for full payment. It is our first experience with trying to arrange a cruise. Is this normal procedure?

In trying to reserve a Viking cruise on the Danube for July 2019, we are told we must pay in full by this June - a whole 13 months in advance of the cruise. This seems excessively early for full payment. It is our first experience with trying to arrange a cruise. Is this normal procedure?

You'll find a discussion specifically about Viking's final payments here: https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2604476

Recent discussions concerning final payment for a river cruise have left me surprised - again - to read how much terms and conditions can differ from country to country. Or is it just different from one cruise line to another?

I want to know: what are the terms and conditions then? Help me create a list, please, for all to read and compare. When is final payment day? When did you pay, did you have a deal, etc? If you have been on more than one cruise the last one is probably enough to mention, unless you went with different companies.

To start off I give you my river cruise details (I know this is not representative, but I just want to make clear what sort of info I mean): Country of booking Germany, Transocean (German company), booked through TA, train journey added and paid together with cruise, regular payment according to the terms and conditions of final payment 21 days before the start of the cruise. Deposit of 10% at booking.

Thank you.

notamermaid

Saw this article today and wanted to share:

https://www.rivercruiseadvisor.com/2018/03/deposit-policies-across-major-european-river-cruise-lines/?utm_source=mailpoet&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=3-19-18+River+Cruise+Advisor+newsletter

Date of attempted booking: March 17, 2018, via TA

Country of attempted booking: USA

Cruise Line: Viking

Cruise Date: July 2019 - NO air or transport of any kind was requested, it was a cruise only quote.

Terms: Viking requested $500 pp deposit with full and final payment by mid June 2018 - 13 months in advance,

When we questioned that, we were told they would allow extra time and moved final payment date to mid Sept 2018 - still 10 months before the start of the cruise. When we expressed worry about extending all the money upfront, our TA indicated this is a common Viking requirement. Viking’s reply to concerns on this is they will sell you Trip Insurance (yet another large sum of $ to pay way in advance). We decided to shop around further.

What he didn't mention is that these terms are for brochure rates; with promotions they don't always apply. In particular, many Viking clients have commented that even the 2-for-1 deals which are (virtually?) constant are considered to be promotions and so the 90 days doesn't apply.

Thanks MagnoliaNC for posting the table of payment policies. It will be interesting to see if Viking will really adhere to its stated policy of payment. I really object to lending Viking money interest free, but there is new itinerary that is proving VERY tempting because of its uniqueness. We shall see.

Booked Viking direct from US, 105 days from departure. $500 deposit pp, balance due 90 days prior to departure. During our investigation phase we asked about payment schedule for a 2019 departure and were told final payment would be due June 30, 2018 but could be pushed back to 180 days prior to departure. This was with 2-for-1 pricing and free economy air (if booked by 3/31/18).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Country of booking - USA

Company - Viking

Called Viking directly

Deposit - 10% - Non - Refundable

Balance WAS due a YEAR in advance but I called and 'discussed' it with viking- They would not move until I posted on Trip Advisor and emailed the owner of the company - then final payment moved to 6 moths prior to sailing.

Thank you everyone so far for contributing. A pattern is emerging I think. Would love to read some info from Australia and New Zealand. I recall sombody saying that the customer protection laws are quite strict there and 2-for-1-offers are not allowed (?). Can anybody verify?

notamermaid

Booked Avalon (from USA) for Summer 2019 European river cruise. Doing cruise only, with a post-cruise stay over at the end. (No air travel included, we will arrange that ourselves later.). Paid $250 pp deposit, got an early booking discount of $500 pp - with final payment due 90 days before start of cruise. We are very pleased with these terms!