An unsettling situation with NCL. Your thoughts and suggestions ?

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 04:49 PM.
367 Posts
Joined Nov 2011
This is happening to a close friend of mine, not me personally. I am reposting their Facebook post to me and others All I ask here is your thoughts and possibly suggestions on things they might be able to do.

Thanks

For those of you planning a cruise or family vacation please verify ALL of the fine print and study company policy before booking.
We were FINALLY able to schedule a family vacation. If you have adult children then you know how hard that is with schedules. Our trip is a Bahama cruise May 2018. So the short story is this - Apx 40 days from sail date we found out Anthony is being deployed overseas during the planned vacation. We contacted Norwegian Cruise Lines and CSA Travel Protection insurance company (where we purchased the travel insurance from) to notify them of the deployment.
CSA stated "Military deployment is not a valid reason for filing a refund claim". NCL basically said the same thing. NCL will cancel the cabin within 30 days but penalize us 75% of the trip value. This is inexcusable. NCL and CSA do not support our military personnel who have no control over these deployments. It's not like they can say NO. It's a terrible practice. These insurance protection companies are a scam. They'll do anything to deny claims. And shame on NCL for their policy.
So remember this the next time you plan a vacation. And yes, I've been filing the BBB complaints and other boards......
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Ecstacy - Apr 1995;........................Carnival Pride - Jan 2012
Navigator of the Seas - Jan 2016;........Adventure of the Seas - Feb 2017
Harmony of the Seas - Mar 2018;.........Allure of the Seas - Feb 2019
Symphony of the Seas - Jul 2019;.........??? - Feb 2020

367 Posts
Joined Nov 2011
Does anyone, by chance have the email address for the CEO of NCL ?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

1,203 Posts
Joined Dec 2012
Ok....sorting though this and focusing solely on the cost factors that seem to be the issue (Thank you for your Service) ....why would the cabin need to be cancelled entirely because of one person? It is stated this is a family vacation. If the cabin is paid in full then that part is over and done, the family vacation part remains and the sailing part is what is left.

The only residual issue is how to backfill the cost for the Military Deployed guest who will not be there if that cost was shared since its not covered by insurance.
367 Posts
Joined Nov 2011
Originally posted by MizDemeanor
Ok....sorting though this and focusing solely on the cost factors that seem to be the issue (Thank you for your Service) ....why would the cabin need to be cancelled entirely because of one person? It is stated this is a family vacation. If the cabin is paid in full then that part is over and done, the family vacation part remains and the sailing part is what is left.

The only residual issue is how to backfill the cost for the Military Deployed guest who will not be there if that cost was shared since its not covered by insurance.
Not 100% sure. All kids are adults in the family. I am not certain of the booking details.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

long Island NY
1,853 Posts
Joined Jun 2003
I echo all those in thanking Anthony for his service to our country. Even if deployment was a allowable reason for a refund everyone else wouldn't be eligible for a refund. Couldn't the rest of the family go ? Would NCL allow someone else to take his spot on the cruise ? Additionally it;s refreshing to see someone not try and "game the system" by canceling last minute and claiming sickness. Quite easy to pretend to be sick and obtain a doctors note.
Raleigh, NC
761 Posts
Joined Feb 2016
I guess this is a lesson for all of us to read terms of insurance carefully. Does any insurance cover military deployments?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Viking Tor 9/2017, Romantic Danube
Viking Heimdal 9/2016, Lyon to Provence
long Island NY
1,853 Posts
Joined Jun 2003
Originally posted by zitsky
I guess this is a lesson for all of us to read terms of insurance carefully. Does any insurance cover military deployments?
I always buy trip insurance through NCL. I like the fact that they offer a cancel for any reason option: https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/booksafe
Norwegian Cruise Line will provide guests who are denied due to a non-covered reason with a future cruise credit equal to 75% of the non-refundable cancellation charge to use on your next cruise with us. For guests who upgrade to BookSafe Platinum Protection, this credit is increased to 90% of the non-refundable cancellation charge. Important note: Cruise credits cannot be applied to government taxes and fees, port expenses, air add-ons, land packages, travel protection, Shore Excursions, gratuities, incidentals, or any purchases of a personal nature. They are non-transferrable and may not be combined with other cruise credit certificates or fare reduction coupons.
USA
2,858 Posts
Joined Aug 2013
OP might also want to post this on the Travel Insurance sub-forum of CC:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=635

There might be useful comments for many of us about which types of insurance (if any) do include deployments (or other employment conflicts).

I know that there are some with "employment conflict" coverage, and presumably a mandatory deployment would fit that!

GC
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
GeezerCouple

contact us at:

GeezerCouple [at] yahoo [dot] com
2,862 Posts
Joined Dec 2012
The only viable solution I can see.

AWOL
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Remember you can adjust the Discretionary Service Charge (DSC), up or down, by simply visiting the customer service desk. You do not need to provide a reason for your adjustment.
32 Posts
Joined Jan 2018
First I want to say I am a vet. What we don't know is how many people in the group. How many cabins are involved and if they are trying to cancel the entire group or just his part? Does this leave a cabin with one person?
367 Posts
Joined Nov 2011
Originally posted by Knuts-mn
First I want to say I am a vet. What we don't know is how many people in the group. How many cabins are involved and if they are trying to cancel the entire group or just his part? Does this leave a cabin with one person?
I've asked. When I get more details on the booking, I will update
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Dallas, TX
1,003 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
I think most insurance policies exclude military action (including training exercises and service). I’m not judging the practice, I just think it’s standard (it’s an exclusion in the NCL-sold policy.)

The issue I have (and it was being discussed on another forum yesterday) is you have to read the contract - which the quoted poster is telling people to do, as a “lesson learned.”

If they didn’t read the contract, why is it now the company’s fault?

I’m actually surprised that a military family wouldn’t have run into this issue before. Military service is very risky, which is why we should be thankful for those who serve.

“Cancel for any reason” policies may cover deployments, but it would depend on the specific policy, and those policies need to be purchased very early.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Visit My Cruise Log and Notes (126 days at sea)

Carnival Freedom - Norwegian Breakaway - Norwegian Dawn - Norwegian Epic (x4) - Norwegian Getaway (x2) - Norwegian Jade (x2) - Norwegian Jewel - Norwegian Pearl (x2) - Norwegian Spirit
San Diego, CA
251 Posts
Joined Jun 2004
As a military family, when I purchase travel insurance, I verify that changes in military orders is stated within the terms for cancelation. The military can revoke leave and deploy members without much notice, so it's never a good idea to plan an expensive trip without it.

I don't think this is case of a company being heartless. It's business. There are plenty of policies available for purchase who do offer this coverage for members of the military. Always read the fine print.

I know it's a tough lesson learned for the entire family when they are already sad about an unexpected deployment.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

98 Carnival Destiny, 01 Celebrity Century, 02 Star Princess, 03 Golden Princess, 03 Carnival Pride, 04 Princess, 05 Caribbean Princess, 13 Disney Fantasy, November 2013 Golden Princess Round 1, November 2013 Golden Princess Round 2, 14 Caribbean Princess, 14 Crown Princess, 15 Carnival Imagination, 15 Carnival Miracle, 15 Disney Fantasy, Crown Princess 16, Carnival Miracle 16, Disney Fantasy 17, Carnival Glory 17, Carnival Magic 18
Citrus Heights, CA United States
4,174 Posts
Joined Dec 2002
As the wife of a retired military officer first off my heart goes out to your friends. He has no control over what the military does or does not do. We cannot give travel agencies but I would suggest a large military bank that also offers travel and travel insurance. They are now open to all ranks in the military are accustomed to handling our military and their families. I pray that Anthony deploys and returns safely.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

NCL Pride of America ~ Hawaiian Islands 6/18
NCL Canceled Our Pearl October 1, 2018, Cruise!
NCL Epic ~ Europe, Mediterranean 7/17
Carnival Inspiration ~ Mexico 7/16
NCL Jade ~ Western Caribbean 4/16
Carnival Inspiration ~ Mexico 7/15
NCL Star ~ Mexico 3/15
Carnival Imagination ~ Mexico 7/14
NCL Pearl ~ Alaska 5/13
NCL Epic ~ Western Caribbean 4/11
NCL Majesty ~ Bermuda 5/09
Carnival Paradise ~ Mexico 5/08
RCC Monarch of the Seas ~ 7/07
Coral Princess ~ Panama Canal 4/06
Sapphire Princess ~ Mexican Riviera 12/05
Carnival Paradise ~ Mexico 7/05
NCL Majesty ~ Bermuda 5/04
NCL Wind ~ Hawaii 4/03
Carnival Tropicale ~ Southern Caribbean 5/93
Syracuse, NY
245 Posts
Joined Sep 2004
Suggest checking to see if insurance is available from credit card company that may have been used to book the travel plans. As an example, just checked my Chase Sapphire Reserve guide which states it covers "Change in military orders for you, your spouse or your domestic partner".
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming:
Disney Fantasy 4/28/18
NCL Breakaway 1st TA!! 10/2/18
MSC Seaside 3/2/19
NCL Epic TA?? 11/22/19

Chandris Amerikanis 1986
Carnival Fantasy 1993
Costa Allegra 1994
Costa Atlantica 2004
Carnival Dream 2011
Carnival Victory 2012
NCL Getaway 3/12/17

Disney Dream 5/1/17
MSC Divina 12/2/17
MSC Seaside 3/2/18
Florida
460 Posts
Joined Jan 2016
Did the insurance have cancel for work reasons? Not sure if it could include that but exclude military.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2/23/2019 - Norwegian - Bliss
12/9/2018 - Royal Caribbean - Oasis of the Seas
2/10/2018 - Norwegian - Escape
11/26/2017 - Royal Caribbean - Oasis of the Seas
9/1/2017 Royal Caribbean - Majesty of the Seas
7/8/2017 - Bahamas Paradise - MV Grand Celebration
9/30/2016 - Royal Caribbean - Majesty of the Seas
2/28/2016 - Norwegian - Getaway
8/21/2015 - Royal Caribbean - Enchantment of the Seas
9/10/2010 - Royal Caribbean - Monarch of the Seas
2,157 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
I always book through NCL/CAS, decline their insurance, and purchase insurance through USAA. Their travel insurance covers change of orders and leave rescinded.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
USA
11,510 Posts
Joined Apr 2015
It is really simple. Buy “cancel for any reason” insurance. Not the cheapest policy you can find.