An unsettling situation with NCL. Your thoughts and suggestions ?

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:48 AM.
naples fl
272 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Believe you're saying NCL should make an exception for your son and the rest of the family. You obviously think he and you deserve this special consideration. I'm not so sure. Not saying you all don't deserve special treatment, just not sure. Your son volunteered for this, he knew what he was signing up for, and he's getting paid. I pray God will be with your son.
7,304 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Originally posted by dogboy
Believe you're saying NCL should make an exception for your son and the rest of the family. You obviously think he and you deserve this special consideration. I'm not so sure. Not saying you all don't deserve special treatment, just not sure. Your son volunteered for this, he knew what he was signing up for, and he's getting paid. I pray God will be with your son.

You may want to read the original post again.
158 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
Originally posted by Maniacal Cruiser
I understand your point however there is no such things as a 'technically'. The law is the law. It is not 'technicality'.
The "law" is man made and differs from Country to Country. The "law" is not right or wrong.
Patriot Nation
5,090 Posts
Joined Jul 2008
Originally posted by tef43
Two things:

1) Spell the word correctly.

2) Use the word correctly.

Have YOU read Your Cruise Critic guideline's?

Spelling & Grammar Errors

It is important to remember that everyone makes mistakes at one time or another, and that there are many users who use English as a second language, especially on our Cruise Boards. There are also a number of people may have learning disabilities and who have difficulty noticing their spelling mistakes. Do not make comments on the spelling and grammar of other users. It is simply not a productive expenditure of energies.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Platinum +
The cure for anything is salt water .
Sweat, Tears,or
The Sea !!

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. ~Mark Twain

NCL Dream Bermuda June2008
NCL Dream Bermuda Oct. 2008
NCL Spirit Bermuda Sept. 2009
NCL Spirit Boston to Quebec Sept.2009
NCL Spirit Quebec to Boston Oct. 2009
NCL Spirit Bermuda June 2010
NCL Sun W. Caribbean Nov.2010
NCL Dawn Bermuda Sept. 2011
NCL Dawn Bermuda Oct. 2011
NCL Dawn Bermuda June 8th 2012
NCL Dawn Bermuda June 22 2012
NCL Dawn Bermuda Sept 2012
NCL Dawn Boston to Quebec Oct. 2012
NCL Dawn Quebec to Boston Oct. 2012
NCL Dawn Western Caribbean Apr. 14th 2013
NCL Dawn North bound Repo Apr. 21st 2013
NCL Dawn Bermuda Sept. 2013
NCL Dawn South bound Repo Nov. 2013
NCL Dawn Bermuda July 11 2014
NCL Dawn Boston to Quebec Sept. 12 2014
NCL Dawn Quebec to Boston Sept. 19 2014
NCL Dawn Bermuda Oct. 10 2014
NCL Dawn Bermuda Sept. 4 2015
NCL Dawn Bermuda August 26th 2016
NCL Dawn Bermuda June 9th 2017
Do not be afraid of dying, be afraid of not living life to it's fullest !
ny
513 Posts
Joined May 2011
Originally posted by zitsky
I guess this is a lesson for all of us to read terms of insurance carefully. Does any insurance cover military deployments?

USAA does!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

In A House
4,821 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
Originally posted by adam_s_allen
The "law" is man made and differs from Country to Country. The "law" is not right or wrong.

Red herring and irrelevant. The reply was to someone saying there was such a thing as 'getting off on a technicality'. Think about it for moment.
In A House
4,821 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
Have YOU read Your Cruise Critic guideline's?

Spelling & Grammar Errors

It is important to remember that everyone makes mistakes at one time or another, and that there are many users who use English as a second language, especially on our Cruise Boards. There are also a number of people may have learning disabilities and who have difficulty noticing their spelling mistakes. Do not make comments on the spelling and grammar of other users. It is simply not a productive expenditure of energies.
That is not what was cited. The post I replied to said something about an 'attack'. Pointing out that someone has problems with incorrect grammar is not an attack was the point I was making.
Dallas, TX
9,562 Posts
Joined May 2008
Originally posted by forgotmyCCname
There used to be little tolerance for inane comments like the one above that attack another member. There also used to be mods who would delete posts not related to the topic , and threads not specific to the cruise line under which they were posted would be moved.

Questioning your mental status adds nothing to the “conversation.”

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Easy.

If you find any post offensive, click on the little triangle at the top, and state your case to the mods.

It works. I can attest to that fact. Several posts have been removed.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Donna (Dallas, Texas)

Booked:
MSC Seaside - Yacht Club - 1st solo - Caribbean - 5/19

Previous Cruises:
NCL Epic - Forward Deluxe Owner's Suite (17004) - Eastern Caribbean (after
being cancelled TWICE by NCL) - 3/17
NCL Jewel - aft PH - Western Caribbean from Tx - 4/15
Carnival Magic - aft balc - Caribbean from TX - 11/14
NCL Sun - aft PH (9076) - So. Caribbean - 03/13
Carnival Paradise - Baja Calif - 03/11
NCL Sun - aft PH (9076) - So. America (& Antarctica) - 2/09 (Favorite)
NCL Dawn - NYC to Nowhere -04/08 -
NCL Jewel - TransAtlantic to Greece - 04/07
RCI Monarch - Baja Calif - 03/05 - Family Reunion Cruise!
Celebrity Summit - Alaska - 08/03
Carnival Ecstacy - Bahamas - 5/00
NCL Norway - broom closet (Inside) Caribbean - 7/86 My 1st!!!
naples fl
272 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Originally posted by ColinIllinois
You may want to read the original post again.
Why are you being a smart aleck. I said some real comments.
94 Posts
Joined Mar 2018
I don’t understand why so many are giving completely unhelpful non-advice how they would never be in this situation in the first place.

Yay, you?

NYC
1,556 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
I don’t understand why so many are giving completely unhelpful non-advice how they would never be in this situation in the first place.
Especially considering the fact that they actually purchased travel insurance. I'd have much more limited sympathy if they hadn't purchased insurance and expected to be refunded since no one would ever purchase travel insurance if everyone could get refunds without buying it. But they just made a mistake in assuming what their travel insurance covered. I've certainly made plenty of mistakes like that in my life and trip planning.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Queen Elizabeth - Norway
NCL Star - Baltic cruise to St. Petersburg
HAL Ryndam - Guatemala and Honduras
Coral Princess - Panama Canal
Coral Princess - Alaska
HAL Noordam - Mediterranean
Carnival - Belize, Honduras, Grand Cayman
Dallas, TX
1,051 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
Originally posted by GenXGirl

Yay, you?

There is no advice other than fight it out with the insurance company.

There is no reason to bash NCL - it’s not their issue.

There is no reason to bash the insurance company if someone is making a claim that is specifically excluded in the policy they purchased.

Why should everyone start waving banners that these poor people were treated unfairly? They weren’t.

The best advice given was from the people complaining who were quoted in the very first post - read everything before you sign it. Apparently, they failed to do so.

That should have been the end of the discussion.

There is no discussion. There is now “I want something I didn’t pay to receive because I deserve special treatment”, and others are wasting everyone else‘s time trying to enable that.

Many people are noting that there is no discussion because this issue comes up constantly - “I can’t go on my cruise because (illness, job problems, wife left me, fill in the blank) and mean, evil NCL won’t give me my money back.”

The only difference is this time, the complainers actually had insurance - just not the right policy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Visit My Cruise Log and Notes (126 days at sea)

Carnival Freedom - Norwegian Breakaway - Norwegian Dawn - Norwegian Epic (x4) - Norwegian Getaway (x2) - Norwegian Jade (x2) - Norwegian Jewel - Norwegian Pearl (x2) - Norwegian Spirit
Florida
294 Posts
Joined Jul 2015
I don't get the trip insurance thru the cruise lines because they are SO over priced. But I actually just looked at my policy and it does state:

"You or Your Traveling Companion is in the military and called to emergency duty for a national disaster other than war" - or - "revocation of Your previously granted military leave or re-assignment
due to war. Official written revocation/re-assignment by a supervisor or commanding officer of the appropriate branch of service will be required"

In my opinion, active military should cruise for free. Small price to pay for serving this country.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Lynn

RCCL Freedom of the Seas August 2015
NCL Star December 2015
RCCL Oasis of the Seas Mar/Apr 2016
RCCL Majesty of the Seas November 2016
NCL Epic March 2017
RCCL Majesty of the Seas May 2017
NCL Getaway May 2018
In A House
4,821 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
Originally posted by mickeychicky
I don't get the trip insurance thru the cruise lines because they are SO over priced. But I actually just looked at my policy and it does state:

"You or Your Traveling Companion is in the military and called to emergency duty for a national disaster other than war" - or - "revocation of Your previously granted military leave or re-assignment
due to war. Official written revocation/re-assignment by a supervisor or commanding officer of the appropriate branch of service will be required"

In my opinion, active military should cruise for free. Small price to pay for serving this country.
It may well be that neither of those clauses are applicable.

If active duty how about...
honorably discharged
first responders
hospice nurses
list ad nauseam
Ontario
3,276 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
It would be a small price to pay for you since it would be the cruise line shareholders who would be paying for this.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
“Many of the things you can count, don't count.
Many of the things you can't count, really count.”
- Albert Einstein (or William Bruce Cameron)
Georgia
2,669 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Nothing is stopping you from getting that credit card out! Even absurd policies have to start somewhere.
Raleigh, NC
938 Posts
Joined Feb 2016

That sounds nice but where does it end? Free car insurance. Free groceries. Free flights on airlines?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Viking Tor 9/2017, Romantic Danube
Viking Heimdal 9/2016, Lyon to Provence
94 Posts
Joined Mar 2018
Originally posted by kitkat343
Especially considering the fact that they actually purchased travel insurance. I'd have much more limited sympathy if they hadn't purchased insurance and expected to be refunded since no one would ever purchase travel insurance if everyone could get refunds without buying it. But they just made a mistake in assuming what their travel insurance covered. I've certainly made plenty of mistakes like that in my life and trip planning.

That was my thinking too. They didn’t foresee all possible reasons for trip insurance for a large diverse party. They are upset they had trip insurance and it doesn’t cover their situation. It’s a human reaction to a sucky situation.

Several posters going on and on about being irresponsible and expecting freebies; just not helpful. I’m glad the family who this thread is about will never read so many if these responses.

3,090 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Wow that’s horrible! All the travel insurance policies I’ve ever bought include deployment as a covered reason as they should! Your friend bought a reputable policy, too. I would encourage your friend to reach out to Norwegian on their Facebook page. Norwegian’s not gonna want to be in the doghouse with military. Also, I hope/recommend the rest of the family will all still go on the cruise. That’ll make it easier for the 1 person to get refunded, and the rest of the family can still have fun together. Good luck to your friend!

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruising through life one ship at a time