New Ships vs Old Ships

amscene1

Who here would most likely never go on the older non breakaway class ships. Or who has gone and is now spoiled by the bigger ones.

For me it would be extremely unlikely due to the fact that I live right near Miami and Fort Lauderdale cruise ports and the fact that I sail multiple lines.

I’ve been on the sky for a quick weekend but I can’t see going on other “7 days” besides the “away” series and now with bliss and encore coming I deem it as almost impossible.

Too bad because I’m sure they are wonderful.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have been on the Escape, which was much fun. However, we are on the Dawn next week and the Jewel in August, so evidently I still have love in my heart for the smaller ships. Too many people on the mega ships for my taste, but I do enjoy the variety of things to do. I have done both a 3 and 4 day on the Sky and was quite happy with her, also. But, I am also a believer that YOU make the vacation based on your attitude.

Looking forward to making it through the entire fleet!

They are both great, in my opinion.

We usually sail on older ships, mainly because itinerary is usually the biggest factor, and those are the ships which have been on the routes we have selected. We really like those ships and always have a great time. We particularly like the Spirit and refurbished Jade.

However, I have been on most of the newer (Epic onwards) ships, and really enjoy the greater choice of activities. Our son loves the water slides and both he and I spend a lot of time on the ropes courses (where applicable). We also like the increased choice of restaurants and bars.

We are going on the Breakaway next Easter, mainly because we haven't done a large ship for a couple of years, and really want to get back on one. The fact that the itinerary isn't as attractive to us as our usual cruises is also a benefit. This will be very much a relaxing holiday, and the big ships wrk well for us.

I would hate not to have both options. Both have their attractions, and I am very pleased that we have the choice.

For us, it depends on whether or not the cruise is destination-focused or just another 7-day cruise out of Florida. If it's all about the ports, we don't care what the ship is. Otherwise, we prefer the big ships because there are more options for shows, dining, bars, and other distractions. Some of the best cruises we've taken with NCL were on the Spirit and Jewel-class ships because of the the places we visited and the ease with which we could get dinner reservations and see a show.

Our best cruise is still our first cruise on the old Norwegian Wind.

If we decide to go back to NCL again (that might happen if they lower the prices for their suites) it will most likely only be on the never ships with a restaurant in the Haven.

Who here would most likely never go on the older non breakaway class ships. Or who has gone and is now spoiled by the bigger ones.

For us, you have that backwards. We prefer the older, smaller ships. I have no use for rock walls and ropes courses.

we LOVE the old ships. we find the service a bit better, and we like the fact there is a different theater show every night.

that said, we do sail on the megas, we just prefer the small ones and book those when we can.

All my seven day cruises have been on the bigger ships. I'll probably stick with that until I get a lot more vacation time. The older ones aren't bad for short trips, but I wonder what I'd do for several sea days. I often travel solo too, so the ships with studios are a plus.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

For me it would be extremely unlikely due to the fact that I live right near Miami and Fort Lauderdale cruise ports and the fact that I sail multiple lines.

I’ve been on the sky for a quick weekend but I can’t see going on other “7 days” besides the “away” series and now with bliss and encore coming I deem it as almost impossible.

Too bad because I’m sure they are wonderful.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would not hesitate to sail on a smaller ship, or a larger ship. We have sailed both, and both have their own set of pros and cons.

Been on Crown,Dawn,Jewel, Gem and Breakaway loved the intamancy of the Crown. No bells and whistles but a classy old ship. Did her four times. In fact staying in an owners suite we actually went to the Captains personal quarters for a cocktail party.

Our choices are somewhat limited to the smaller older ships since we never sail the Caribbean, never take cruises less than about 2 weeks, and sail primarily for itinerary.

Would never think of taking a cruise "for the ship." And boy did 15 days on Epic last month absolutely cement that conviction.

My favorite NCL ships are Dawn and Star. I've been on both multiple times and am counting down the days until my next Dawn sailing later this month. Though I've sailed on Breakaway and liked it (don't think I would have liked it as much if I hadn't gotten a Haven upgrade though...) and am seriously considering an Escape cruise for next year. Epic isn't my thing.

As previously posted size does not always matter.

There are a large number of people who still enjoy a wrap around promenade deck to walk on and a forward observation lounge to enjoy sail aways.

While there is much to be said for the newer ships and fantastic dining venues,rope courses, go karts, rock walls,etc

I will also enjoy a throwback to vintage cruising that is gone from Mega ships of all lines.

Itinerary and price are always an important consideration but if you have the time and the ports are not the primary consideration, then leave the crowds behind and give me a smaller ship.

Also of note the new NCL class "Leonardo" is downsizing in size.

Next cruise NCL Gem June 2018

We were on the Dawn for a 11 day cruise in January and enjoyed our cruise. The only negative is there is no Crows Nest to look out the front of the ship they have the children's play area there now.

I prefer the Jewel class, especially the Jade.

I don’t use any of the megaship bells and whistles (rock walls, water slides, I rarely go to the pool) so all they give me is more people to navigate around. Also, the megaships tend to attract newbie cruisers who often have rather exaggerated ideas of what a cruise will be (read the reviews and comments.) Who needs a week surrounded by people who are lost and annoyed?

Megaships are also limited on the ports they visit (especially in the Caribbean), since nobody wants to tender 4000 passengers. I really don’t ever need to go to Nassau again.

I prefer knowing I’m on a ship, not just going to a floating resort.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have done both Epic and Breakaway. While are trip on Epic was great it wwas befor the booze pkg was introduced. As for the Breakaway and all the drunken loud obnoxious guest including in the specialty restaurants.Even the Posh space was filled drunken obnoxious people.

We have also experienced the odd drunk on the smaller but not to the amt you get on the larger ships. I can't wait for the day that the free drink perk is removed.

WE WILL NEVER DO A LARGE SHIP AGAIN ON ANY LINE

We select a cruise based on itinerary & value.

Our preferred lines are Celebrity, NCL & Princess. We have enjoyed every cruise we have ever been on - some more than others... The largest ships we've been on were the Celebrity Eclipse, NCL Epic & Princess Regal (New). Some of our favorite cruises have been on the smaller intimate ships: NCL Jade - Eastern Med, Coral Princess - Panama Transcanal (Christmas/NY), NCL Spirit - Canary Islands & Morocco, Celebrity Constellation - Rome to Venice, Celebrity Constellation - Far East (Singapore RT) & we are excited for our next cruise on the NCL Jewel - TransPacific (Vancouver to Tokyo).

Cheers to All & Enjoy Your Time on ALL Your Cruises -- Von & John

While I cruise on the big ships, I really dislike them. The older smaller ships are much nicer. The ONLY reason I consider the newer ships is because of the studios.