Smart casual for kids

Sue's Mom

My husband and I always observe the dress code regarding dinner, no matter what line we sail with.

Our grandson who is 11 is accompanying us on our cruise starting on Saturday. We have formal nights sorted but I am now stressing about smart casual. Like most kids of his age he only has jeans and I believe that jeans are not acceptable in the MDR. I will probably get flamed for asking this but do other kids wear jeans on smart casual nights? I resent having to buy a pair of chinos which he will only wear five times and I don’t want to make him wear his school trousers, other than for the formal nights. We have to be very careful with our money to make our ever decreasing pension go further.

Sorry about the thread heading. I cannot find a way of editing it.

Anyone can wear football tops during the day there has never been a ban on them at all.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

I thought football shirts were banned under their policy

Personalised and slogan clothing

In addition to the fancy dress policy, clothing personalised with images/slogans, and/or clothing that features offensive language, images or slogans, will not be allowed on board at any time.

I thought football shirts were banned under their policy

Personalised and slogan clothing

In addition to the fancy dress policy, clothing personalised with images/slogans, and/or clothing that features offensive language, images or slogans, will not be allowed on board at any time.

Not as far as I know Sharon, plenty on show on Oriana in the last two weeks. Most shirts are off the peg therefore not personalised.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 4 weeks later...

Too late now but the answer to the original query is

Dress code

Dressing for dinner is one of the many highlights on a cruise and guests are expected to follow our dress codes, which change from night to night. There are two dress codes that can apply, effective in the majority of public areas after 6pm. A description of each is provided below. The only exception to these are the official P&O Cruises theme nights which may include 60s, 70s, tropical, Western, and black and white night, and seasonal events such as Halloween and Christmas. Children under 16 years and under are not included in this policy.

This is then reiterated further down the 2018 "Rules"

Fancy dress: We don’t want to dampen anyone’s fun but as of 1 January 2018 we no longer allow fancy dress, novelty items or inappropriate personalised clothing to be worn on board. Any clothing that features inappropriate or offensive language, including novelty clothing with printed images or slogans and accessories, will not be allowed on board. We reserve the right to deny embarkation to guests who are inappropriately dressed. This is a change from the policy wording printed in the back of our January 2018 – October 2019 brochure and pre-cruise brochures. This policy does not apply to children 16 and under.

Which suggests they can be a offensive as they wish - makes you wonder who writes these!

Edited by Aulanis