This is either really funny or kinda sad...

Swells1

So, I returned from my western Caribbean cruise a few weeks ago, and my co-worker, Bill, just came back to work this morning after his eastern itinerary. We were comparing notes when a third co-worker, Karen, joined the conversation.

Bill asked me what ports we visited.

I responded, "Two stops in Mexico, Honduras, Guatemala, Belize, and.....Oh! Grand Cayman"

Karen gave me a funny look. "Did you say you went to the Grand Canyon?"

I laughed and told her no, that would have been tricky.

"Yeah, I didn't think you went to Canada."

Whoa......................

Does your work place provide tuitions for worekers rro go backx to school? She would be a great candidate foe more eduaftion.

i know you made the choice of funny or sad b ut please add FRIGHTENING How does she get through the day to day of life? How does she manage to remain employed? :eek:

...Bill asked me what ports we visited.

I responded, "Two stops in Mexico, Honduras, Guatemala, Belize, and.....Oh! Grand Cayman"

Karen gave me a funny look. "Did you say you went to the Grand Canyon?"

I laughed and told her no, that would have been tricky.

"Yeah, I didn't think you went to Canada."

Somethings you just can't make up. :D Sounds like something a CD could add into is monologue.

Yes it would be hard to get to the Grand Canyon by Cruise Ship.

LOL.

Keith

Ignoring the fact that the Colorado River never actually gets to to the Sea of Cortez, you could try going up river on a jet boat. You would have to have the boat hauled around several dams and the National Park Service would not like it but in 1960, some guys ran a jet boat UP the Grand Canyon. It was the first and the last time that this feat was accomplished.

BTW - you can not outlaw geographic stupidity. After we did our first trip to Australia, we had several people convinced that the sun rose in the west because we were south of the equator.

DON

Traveled with a group of ladies to New Zealand.

One had worried and almost canceled because she didn't know if she'd be able to walk when everything faced down.

Another lady thought NZ was in Australia. She said she didn't know there was room for more than one country at the bottom.

Several of them thought it was strange they didn't have real money.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Once asked a lady on a cruise whether she was going into Paris from Le Havre. She informed me that of course she was going to Paris, that was where the ship was docking, it was on her itinerary. Explained Paris was not on coastline and ship could not go up the Seine. She gave me one if those looks,and walked off. Never saw her again, so don’t know how she got to Paris.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Bring back Geography as a subject taught in elementary schools and World History taught in high schools.

Yeah, we teach those subjects but I'm going to let you in on a little secret, some students just aren't very bright. It's usually hereditary [emoji849]

One had worried and almost canceled because she didn't know if she'd be able to walk when everything faced down.

Another lady thought NZ was in Australia. She said she didn't know there was room for more than one country at the bottom.

Wow. Just wow. :o

My University advisor told me that war is God's way of teaching geography to Americans.

I read this quote to DW (a retired teacher) and her immediate reaction is that its total "BS." Why? Ask most younger Americans about the Vietnam war and they would have little clue we have had a war....and would have no idea where Vietnam was on a globe. Ask those same young folks who or where we fought in WW! or WWII and most would have no idea...or they would probably say Mexico. A few years ago I was out to a retiree lunch after DW and I returned from a long driving trip in Europe. I response to a question I mentioned that we spent a few days at Normandy exploring the D--Day beaches. One of the ladies (who had a Masters Degree in Nursing) ask me in which country were the D-Day beaches. This started a conversation and around half the retirees (we are talking about folks in their 60s and 70s) had no clue about the D-Day beaches. Have to admit that this even shocked me....as I expect that from our younger citizens (who couldn't find the Grand Canyon on a map) but not from my contemporaries.

Hank

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Did you try to convince them that the sun rose in the west because it was south of the equator. It probably would have worked.

Another indication of geographic dumbness. We did a cruise in Antarctica including landings. When we got back, some people asked us if we saw any Polar Bears. We told them that they only had South Polar Bears in Antarctica. Some people believed us.

DON

When we did Geography at school it was mostly about rock formations and different types of lakes, maybe we learned about coastal erosion. Very little on where places are in the world. To my shame I thought Florida was on the west coast - near California or something.

I do often meet very intelligent Americans who know more about my country's history than I do.

But the location of the GRAND CANYON? Surely that's something you should just KNOW - isn't it one of the top things in the world?