Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:49 AM.
USA
12,402 Posts
Joined Apr 2015
NCL advises all guests to bring their own luggage tags to the Port of Seattle and not get stuck waiting for a union worker to tag it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dallas, TX
1,051 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
Are there special luggage tag porters? I thought all the pier workers were union.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Visit My Cruise Log and Notes (126 days at sea)

Carnival Freedom - Norwegian Breakaway - Norwegian Dawn - Norwegian Epic (x4) - Norwegian Getaway (x2) - Norwegian Jade (x2) - Norwegian Jewel - Norwegian Pearl (x2) - Norwegian Spirit
Oregon
24 Posts
Joined Jan 2018
Could it be that Bliss is so much larger than the other ships that usually dock in Seattle? There may be concerns that congestion in and around the port may be much worse than usual.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
10/98 - RCCL Viking Serenade
4/18 - NCL Norwegian Star
9/19 - NCL Escape Canada/New England
CA
239 Posts
Joined Sep 2016
Originally posted by InfrequentPNWCruiser
Could it be that Bliss is so much larger than the other ships that usually dock in Seattle? There may be concerns that congestion in and around the port may be much worse than usual.
That and the port probably doesn't want to hire any additional staff, even part time until absolutely necessary.
Washington
3,373 Posts
Joined May 2009
I would think this would be a major factor. There isn’t that much room in front of pier 66.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Booked
NCL Jewel - June 2018 - Alaska Northbound Vancouver to Seward
NCL Bliss - November 2018 - Eastern Caribbean
NCL Dawn - June 2019 - Canada/New England

Past Cruises
NCL Star - December 2017 - Mexican Riviera
NCL Escape - June 2017 - Western Caribbean
NCL Pearl - September 2016 - Pacific Coastal
NCL Sun - June 2016 - Alaska Southbound Seward to Vancouver
NCL Jewel - May 2016 - Pacific Coastal
NCL Pearl - September 2015 - Pacific Coastal
NCL Star - November 2010 - Pacific Coastal
NCL Pearl - September 2009 - Pacific Coastal
NCL Star - June 2009 - Alaska - Seattle roundtrip
NCL Sun - July 2007 - Alaska - Vancouver roundtrip

Captain Impractical
Bloomington MN USA
2,932 Posts
Joined Feb 2010

Just how much:
The BLISS is 1082 feet long 20 decks high 4000+ passengers
The JEWEL is 971 feet long 15 decks high 2400+ passengers

So a ship about 1/3 bigger and longer and higher and it is reported that with the
JEWEL class ships there is inadequate pier space to handle it GO FIGURE !
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
*** Thanks for your visit contribution and participation here at Cruise Critic ! ***
www = waves wheels and wings aka cruise ships trains and planes

NCL Dawn 10506, Quebec-Boston B2B 2nd leg 10/19-10/26
NCL Dawn 12522, Boston-Quebec B2B 1st leg 10/12-10/19
NCL Sun, 1203, Ship Positioning YVR-SFO 9/17
NCL Dawn, 12522, Boston-Quebec City-Boston B2B 9/16
NCL Dawn, 12030, Western Caribbean MSY-MSY 1/15
NCL Star, 12012, Panama Canal WB MIA-LAX 10/14
NCL Sun, 1010, SB Alaska ANC-YVR 07/13
Holland-America Westerdam, 8099, Alaska SEA-SEA 06/11
Carnival Victory, 8327, Southern Caribbean SJU-SJU 02/09
Carnival Spirit, 7154, SB Alaska ANC-YVR 08/07
Carnival Pride, 6137, MEX Riviera LGB-LGB 04/07
Golden Princess, Aloha 631, Ship Positioning YVR-LGB 08/06
Sea Flight Honolulu-Lihue-Honolulu 1975
MSTS Buckner, Bremem NYC 2/64
MSTS Darby, NYC Bremem 7/61
CAR FERRY Badger, Manitowoc WI - Ludington MI 7/53
1,224 Posts
Joined Dec 2012
Originally posted by don't-use-real-name
Just how much:

So a ship about 1/3 bigger and longer and higher and it is reported that with the

Bloomington MN USA
2,932 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Originally posted by RD29P5
That and the port probably doesn't want to hire any additional staff, even part time until absolutely necessary.
Noted that the stevedores are union and management wants to keep the cost down.
Part time and temporary help is not in the union play book !
It appears that the status quo is the solution.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
*** Thanks for your visit contribution and participation here at Cruise Critic ! ***

Bloomington MN USA
2,932 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Originally posted by xriva
Are there special luggage tag porters? I thought all the pier workers were union.
Sent from my iPad using Forums
If arriving by air and using the NCL transfer service the pier porters will be bypassed by the cruise customer.
NCL is requesting that you use the mailed or website baggage tags be applied after claiming airport baggage
and a Truck Service will take care of the rest (read copy of NCL letter image post #1) - TIP the Truck service
driver and maybe he will split the pool with the pier staff.
Baggage handled by the Transfer Bus will no doubt be handled as usual with luggage being given to the
porters by the customer after getting it off the bus. Tip accordingly at that time.
As for those passengers that check-in at the dock the union staff porters will take care of your luggage tagged
or not (union rules require union porters to tag untagged bags). Tip accordingly at that time.

Regardless it is going to be "ZOO" !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NCL SEATTLE BAG.jpg (141.8 KB, 143 views)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

USA
12,402 Posts
Joined Apr 2015
The Pearl use to hold the record for the most expensive Panama Canal transit. The Bliss will easily smash that record.
In A House
4,821 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
Originally posted by MizDemeanor
Yikes. A diminishment of services??? And what about tips to the Stevedores??? Are there so few workers interested in this aspect of services?

What am I missing?
A reduction in the expense for NCL to have a cruise and thus a saving in the cost of the cruise to passengers.
USA
12,402 Posts
Joined Apr 2015
Originally posted by Maniacal Cruiser
Kind of misleading. Its the same with every NCL cruise. Print off the tags that are with your edocs and attach them to your luggage. It is NOT using YOUR OWN tags.
Your Own = "Not done by porters". The intent was pretty obvious.

We sail NCL several times a year. We have NEVER got a letter like this from NCL, so it is NOT the "same with every NCL cruise". We sailed on NCL a couple of weeks ago and NEVER got a letter like this from NCL, so it is NOT the "same with every NCL cruise". We have sailed to Alaska the past 3 years from Seattle on the Jewel and have NEVER got a letter like this from NCL, so it is NOT the "same with every NCL cruise".
USA
12,402 Posts
Joined Apr 2015
Originally posted by Maniacal Cruiser
A reduction in the expense for NCL to have a cruise and thus a saving in the cost of the cruise to passengers.
NCL actually signed a 15-year lease for the Bell Street cruise terminal and splitting the $30M cost of upgrading the facility with the Port of Seattle. NCL is investing in its customers, not skimping on them.
CA
239 Posts
Joined Sep 2016
Just how much:

Didn't they just expand the pier in order to accommodate the Bliss? I don't think it's going to be a problem with the pier itself, as much as manpower and traffic flow on Alaskan Way. Just remembering all the double parked Uber's, taxi's and shuttles last year for the Pearl sailing, I can't help but think that it will be almost twice as bad for the Bliss. I'm thinking it's going to take a few sailing before the logistic's are worked out on the end of the port authority.

Either that or a possible strike, it's about time for one on the west coast again.
In A House
4,821 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
Originally posted by BirdTravels
Your Own = "Not done by porters". The intent was pretty obvious.

We sail NCL several times a year. We have NEVER got a letter like this from NCL, so it is NOT the "same with every NCL cruise". We sailed on NCL a couple of weeks ago and NEVER got a letter like this from NCL, so it is NOT the "same with every NCL cruise". We have sailed to Alaska the past 3 years from Seattle on the Jewel and have NEVER got a letter like this from NCL, so it is NOT the "same with every NCL cruise".
You know what, after re-reading this it is not quite a misleading as I originally though (even though your partial quote is indeed misleading). When I saw it I read it as "Bring your own luggage tags..." as evidenced by the last line in my post. Dyslexia sucketh.

Anyway my point that it is the same is 100% spot on. "Its the same with every NCL cruise. Print off the tags that are with your edocs and attach them to your luggage" is exactly correct. Getting a letter to remind you to do this does not change that.

Thanks for the heads up enjoy your cruise. The Bliss sounds amazing!
Frozen Tundra
9,108 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
This is exactly the same as it has been. Maybe they just want to remind those lazy folks who don’t bother, that this is what they are supposed to be doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

RCI Voyager of the Seas: Feb. 2001 Disney Magic: Dec. 2003 Disney Magic: Feb. 2005 Disney Magic: Dec. 2006
NCL Spirit: New Year's week Dec. 2009-'10 NCL Getaway: May 2014 NCL Epic: Nov. 2014
NCL Escape Transatlantic: Oct. 2015 NCL Escape: May 2016 NCL Breakaway: June 2017 NCL Escape: May 2018
Coming up next: Viking River Cruise: June 2019 NCL Encore Transatlantic: Nov. 2019
19,441 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Everyone seems to be ignoring the line in the ketter that says : ENCLOSED ARE YOUR LUGGAGE TAGS. It seems that NCL is sending Bliss passengers luggage tags, or is it that the OP is in a suite or the Haven and they are reminding him to attach his own tags. No where in the letter does it mention printing your own luggage tags.
NYC
8,089 Posts
Joined Sep 2009
Another issue that people seem to be missing is that if the union workers need to attach your luggage tag, they will need to look you up in the manifest they have. this takes time can can cause delays and some traffic congestion area the port area. Ideally in a perfect world, it should be a very quick process of dropping off luggage to the porters and enter the terminal.

I dont know the layout of the Seattle terminal, but i know the New York Terminal can get very crowded very quickly at the entrance of the terminal. By having people show up prepare, it can reduce the crowds
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Sailed:
Carnival Miracle (2009), Carnival Glory (2010), Carnival Splendor (2013,2014), Carnival Vista (2016), Carnival Sunshine (2017)
Norwegian Gem (2012,2015), Norwegian Breakaway (2014,2017), Norwegian Escape (2018)