GOOD MORNING VIETNAM.... Live Silver Shadow 25 March 2018

les37b

While I remember, I got the info from Kirk for the Shadow passenger count. Unsurprisingly the U.K. came out top. Quite surprised at the number of Germans of the 341.

YES, Les, that is an interesting mix of customer nationalities on your sailing. Appreciate this posting and your continued nice follow-ups. Silversea does attract a special group of varied travelers. That makes the sailings an even better, more fun experience.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 199,339 views for this posting.

Les, thank you for your report and pictures. Your reports are making me even more excited about my Shadow journey in 11 months. It seems like such a long time to wait! We will have a day and a half in HCMC, from 8 am until 2 pm the next.

In or after HCMC, did you hear anyone talk about visiting the FITO Museum of Traditional Vietnamese Medicine? I'm very intrigued by it, and it looks like sometimes it is included on SS excursions. Terry, how about you? Anyone? How about the "Street Food Experience?"

Les, thank you for your report and pictures. Your reports are making me even more excited about my Shadow journey in 11 months. It seems like such a long time to wait! We will have a day and a half in HCMC, from 8 am until 2 pm the next.

In or after HCMC, did you hear anyone talk about visiting the FITO Museum of Traditional Vietnamese Medicine? I'm very intrigued by it, and it looks like sometimes it is included on SS excursions. Terry, how about you? Anyone? How about the "Street Food Experience?"

We are on the Whisper and did visit the FITO museum as part of our street foods tour. The museum was interesting. The street food experience was not well done. The market, complete with rats, was an eye opener. The lunch was fine.

Les..we are on the Whisper and I have photos of the Shadow form the day we met at sea and from Saigon. I you want any, I can send them to you once we get home. Email me at emtbsam at yahoo dot com.

In or after HCMC, did you hear anyone talk about visiting the FITO Museum of Traditional Vietnamese Medicine? I'm very intrigued by it, and it looks like sometimes it is included on SS excursions. Terry, how about you? Anyone? How about the "Street Food Experience?"[/Quote]

We did the Saigon highlights and artists of Saigon tour. Both were freebies. Whilst we got to see a few things it really was a little rushed. I think Rick mentioned this museum at least I know someone did a short while ago - and they weren't impressed as it was a foodie tour... That probably answers your question and just confirmed I think.

Yes please to the photos emtbsam...... I have a few for you also.

Happy Easter from the Shadow.

2286f4f91c1605eb214405b4f2bf3438.jpgcd08bc3e8bf23d62c3c1a863af12448e.jpgf4b094c807a1ae8a0c910526ef919f42.jpg

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

Forgot to mention... captain Palmieri is back on board. It may well have been from Chan May.

I do intend to add more info from where I left off... But just posting to say I checked my onboard account. -$660 ..... And no charity charge this time, Looks like Mrs37b is going to get a boutique spend up again!

I had thought I'd posted this already doc alrradyScan 1 Apr 2018.pdf

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

OK, back home now and will finish the daily details in due course.

Thought it might be good to post the daily chronicles

First post contains departure from Singapore on 25 March and 5 editions. Post 2 will contain the next 5

25 march 2018.pdf

26 march 2018.pdf

27 march 2018.pdf

28 march 2018.pdf

29 march 2018.pdf

Les, thank you for posting the Chronicles! I'll be sailing from Singapore to Hong Kong next February, with some similarities in the itinerary. This got me all the more excited for my own voyage on the Shadow (317 days to go!). It was particularly helpful for me to see what happens on sea days, as I didn't experience any on my port-intensive Caribbean cruise last month. Now I have a better idea of what to expect.

Also, a little jealous that you had a day and a half in Ha Long Bay. We'll only be there from noon to 8:00 pm.

• 2 months later...
I've been dying to quote the famous Robin Williams film line.

Well today it's official. As we meander up the mighty Mekong River towards Ho Chi Minh City AKA Saigon, what better way to begin!

GOOD MORNING VIETNAM !

OK.... So I'm now on Day 3 of this cruise but aim to fill in the gaps to date. I can promise not to be as comprehensive as JP or Terry, but will nonetheless have a go at describing this asventure, which so far has been excellent. I'm certainly looking forward to spending a few million today!

And yes, the gopros are set to time lapse capture the journey.

c9856a5f42a21b6e620f10926de9126e.jpg68212e258a49063f9fabe1eb0e338356.jpg

43a3e5dd06142e46cafa74e6685bd6c1.jpg

Les, I am traveling to Vietnam aboard Silver shadow and was wondered if you were required to obtain a visa. And if so, did you make arrangements in advance, or incountry? Thank you for your time.

I've been dying to quote the famous Robin Williams film line.

Well today it's official. As we meander up the mighty Mekong River towards Ho Chi Minh City AKA Saigon, what better way to begin!

GOOD MORNING VIETNAM !

OK.... So I'm now on Day 3 of this cruise but aim to fill in the gaps to date. I can promise not to be as comprehensive as JP or Terry, but will nonetheless have a go at describing this asventure, which so far has been excellent. I'm certainly looking forward to spending a few million today!

And yes, the gopros are set to time lapse capture the journey.

c9856a5f42a21b6e620f10926de9126e.jpg68212e258a49063f9fabe1eb0e338356.jpg

43a3e5dd06142e46cafa74e6685bd6c1.jpg

Les, I am booked on Silver Shadow to visit Vietnam, and was wondering if you were required to obtain a visa when you were there. And if so, did you make advanced arrangements, or got it incountry? Thanks

Les, I am booked on Silver Shadow to visit Vietnam, and was wondering if you were required to obtain a visa when you were there. And if so, did you make advanced arrangements, or got it incountry? Thanks

A daytime entry visa was giving to all and had to be presented when coming back on the ship. It was just a slip of paper that you had to carry at all rimes off the ship and had to be handed back when the ship left Vietnam. There was no charge and it was organised by Silversea.

If you are doing any excursions that involve being off the ship overnight (ie staying in a hotel in Hanoi for example) then you need a different Visa. I think SS deal with that also, but please dont take that as read as I didnt need one.

Like most things though, Nationalities come into it - and not sure if things may be different for US passengers, but didn't think it was.

• 2 weeks later...
Also, a little jealous that you had a day and a half in Ha Long Bay. We'll only be there from noon to 8:00 pm.
Totally understand! We're looking at the Shadow voyage (#3904) before yours and like it because it includes 29-hours in Ha Long Bay.

• 1 month later...

Les,

Did you happen to scan the excursion price list from your suite? If so, would you mind posting it? I'd like to see what they were charging for some of the overland tours like Angkor Wat, Hanoi, etc., as well as the normal tours in Ha Long Bay, Chan May, etc.