Dress code in Japan

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:23 PM.
Boston
2,054 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
Is there any specific dress code while cruising in Japan? I know in Europe that they don't allow shorts in certain churches and such. Is it the same for temples in Japan?

What about walking around Tokyo? Are shorts normal attire?

Any feedback would be appreciated.
1,579 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
Going to say it depends on your age. We were there during Golden Week and saw a variety of styles of clothing from miniskirts to full dress up.

Just did a quick review of some pics and did see people walking around in shorts at Kiyomizu-dera Temple in Kyoto. So I suppose most are going to be similar.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Florida
4,692 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
In cities, most people will be dressed for work with dark suits. We were in Japan in spring with cool weather, saw many rain coats, long pants or skirts on Japanese tourists, all in subdued colors. Young girls sometimes wore miniskirts with tights underneath. I don't remember seeing any shorts on young men, might have been the weather and the fact that they were either going to work or wearing school uniforms.
Shanghai, PRC / Sete, France
3,967 Posts
Joined Jun 2002
In Japan's bigger cities, only young children and teens wear shorts.
It is common practice for Japanese people to shine their shoes every time before they leave their homes.

Unfortunately the American "grunge look" is gaining popularity with the lower Japanese social classes.
Boston
2,054 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
Yeah, I should mention that we are in our 50s. I turn 50 on this trip. I might think that while in Tokyo we stick to light pants. It will be late June.

But maybe once on the cruise, we might be more relaxed and wear shorts on the tours.
1,579 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
Originally posted by BruceMuzz
In Japan's bigger cities, only young children and teens wear shorts.
It is common practice for Japanese people to shine their shoes every time before they leave their homes.

Unfortunately the American "grunge look" is gaining popularity with the lower Japanese social classes.

Ummm, I've got pictures of adults from April/May wearing shorts in Kyoto. While I am sure some of those that look Japanese may not be, I doubt all are.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Shanghai, PRC / Sete, France
3,967 Posts
Joined Jun 2002
Originally posted by DarkJedi
Ummm, I've got pictures of adults from April/May wearing shorts in Kyoto. While I am sure some of those that look Japanese may not be, I doubt all are.
No doubt you are right. As I said, the American grunge look (looking like you are dressed to clean your garage) is quickly gaining popularity with the lower classes here.
581 Posts
Joined Aug 2012
It is likely to be very hot in June. At tourist site in Kyoto and Tokyo you are likely to see a lot of people( yes tourists) in shorts. Japanese don't really expect foreigners to follow their rules. I think it is fine if you will be more comfortable. It might be more frowned upon for Women but they have better more comfortable options anyway.
8 Posts
Joined Jun 2018
Hello. We live in Tokyo, and you will see people dressed in all sorts of ways during the summer months. Shorts, t-shirts and sandals are very common. Especially if you are on vacation, no one will think oddly of it.

Temples don’t have a specific dress code. Even shorts are okay. “Respectful” would be a good guideline to adhere to, so nothing too raunchy or disheveled and you will be fine.

Enjoy your trip!
Los Angeles & Japan
710 Posts
Joined Dec 2012
Generally speaking, they dress more conservatively. But they are not like in Thailand where you can't show your shoulders, ankles, etc. You will be asked to remove your shoes at times when visiting shrines and temples, so I recommend taking shoes with good soles for walking that can easily slip on/off.
Wht Mts, NH - Gulf Coast, FL
3,096 Posts
Joined Jun 2004
Just curiouss as to how it was concluded that a particular dress style was worn by the lower classes?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Coming Up:
Celebrity Xpedition - Galapagos
Celebrity Millennium - China, South Korea,Japan
Celebrity Solstice - Australia to Hawaii
Past Cruises:
Celebrity Summit - Bahamas
Celebrity Reflection - Med & Greek Isles
Coral Princess - Partial Transit Panama Canal
Celebrity Silhouette - Transatlantic
Royal Caribbean Serenade of the Seas - Arctic Circle
Disney Fantasy - Souhern Caribbean
AMAPrima - Danube, Prague to Budapest
Royal Caribbean Jewel of the Seas - Southern Carib.
Carnival Imagination - Western Carib.
Carnival Valor - Southern Carib.
Norwegian Sun - Baltics, Copenhagen, St Petersburg
Royal Caribbean Brilliance - Mediterranean, Spain Italy
Celebrity Infinity - Alaska
Royal Caribbean - Voyager of the Seas, Western Carib.
Royal Caribbean Nordic Prince - Bermuda