Can you check in / board earlier than online appt time?

Spike5556

I completed my online check in yesterday for our cruise out of Baltimore that is 20 days away and the only embarkation time left available was 230-300. If we arrive earlier will we be able to check in earlier or will we have to wait until 230? This will influence if we drive in the day before or day of the cruise (5-6 hour drive) Thanks for your help!

Not in my experience. The check-in times are enforced, unless you are Platinum/Diamond/FTTF. Some ports may have an "early arrival" line, but I wouldn't bet on that, and even if the port is equipped with such - I wouldn't expect to be let on earlier.

The check-in times thing is mostly good, it helps even out lines in the terminal, but it also kind of stinks for people who can't get their preferred time.

The good thing is by that time you should have a much easier time boarding.

I completed my online check in yesterday for our cruise out of Baltimore that is 20 days away and the only embarkation time left available was 230-300. If we arrive earlier will we be able to check in earlier or will we have to wait until 230? This will influence if we drive in the day before or day of the cruise (5-6 hour drive) Thanks for your help!

Maybe, if those that selected the 2:00 - 2:30 time to check in have all boarded before 2:30 (maybe by 2:20?). If so, your check-in time could move up a bit. But, I wouldn't count on being able to check in much more than 10 or 15 minutes earlier. It really all depends on how quickly those before you were able to check in and board the ship. Keep in mind that what you chose is your CHECK-IN time. That's the time period that you will be allowed to enter the terminal to check in for your cruise. You cannot select your embarkation time. Even those that have selected an earlier check-in time (10:00 - 10:30 for example) won't be able to board until Customs has cleared the ship for embarkation, which may be somewhere between 11:00 - 11:30. It could be earlier, or it could be later. On a previous cruise, on the Liberty out of Miami, there was some kind of delay, and boarding for our cruise didn't start until about 11:45.

Edited by beachbum53

I have not notice strict enforcement. Left Charleston with a 1130 time and friend had 130. He got on before i did. It was his first cruise and i am a Platnium

Maybe the earlier check-ins moved pretty quickly, and that's why your friend was able to check in and board earlier.

Galveston enforces the check-in times.

That is very true. Last year we cruised Breeze our of Galveston. I don't remember the details of exactly what happened, but our appointment got pushed back an hour, when we arrived, we were required to go to the "people who are late" line, despite being on time according to the new check-in time. It still didn't take too long to get on board, but it was a bit irksome.

I don't know about baltimore, but some ports move people faster than the check-in times are scheduled.

On our last cruise out of Fort Lauderdale, even though we were platinum, we got to the port around 12:30 and rushed right through. Noticed they were letting eveyone though regadless of check-in time, because they were so far ahead of schedule at that time, there were no lines to getto boarding.

Now if you plan to get to the port before noon, you might not find the same. But I am sure if the Carnival Port employees are not backed up, you may move faster than the check-in times allow.

The new check-in process (scanning your passport, no picture taken, S&S card in your cabin mailbox) have made things so much better.

We have only cruised Carnival four times, all in the past year. We only saw the check in time being enforced once in Norfolk and that cruise cruise embarkation had issues from the start due to late arrival in port, customs issues, and so forth. They were still boarding passengers at 6 PM so everybody was late boarding.

In Charleston, Port Canaveral, and New Orleans they were not enforcing at least when we boarded. In Charleston we had booked at the last minute, literally the last cabin on the ship. We had a late time slot but around 11:45 we saw there was no line and we went over and asked & they sent us right through. Easy peasy. In front of us a woman tried to show her boarding time print out, which was later, and they said "don't worry about that" and just kept us moving. In Port Canaveral and New Orleans no one was checking although in NO we did have an early time anyway.

The point of the whole appointment thing is to prevent long lines and backups which frustrate everyone. The cruise lines want to board the ship as soon as possible so they can start selling drinks, photo packages, excursions, and so forth. That is understandable. Although our experience with Carnival is limited, we have found them to be most accommodating and efficient with the exception of that Norfolk episode which is probably an aberration. Although this is probably going to vary from cruise to cruise and port to port, it seems to us that the primary concern is to keep things moving and if they are not backed up you will go on through.

If you get to the terminal and the line is not long and is moving smoothly, I see no harm in asking. If they say no, just step aside and find a place to wait. My bet is that if things are moving smoothly you will be sent in. To me, it is no different than showing up at the Dr. office or hair salon early. If they are ahead of schedule they will take you on in. If not, you wait. I know that some people are more "rule bound" than others and get bent out of shape by such things, but if the cruise line wants to keep their check in lines moving rather than having their people standing by waiting for the next wave it is causing no harm to anyone. I don't get the resentment against people politely asking if they can board early.

On occasion, Customs can be late in clearing the ship. When this happens, the schedule can be backed up an hour or two (No fault of Carnival) which affects all scheduled timing for the day. You just don't know until you get there. On the other hand, they might clear early so it is a gamble. I guess the best bet is to make sure you get there when scheduled or be Platinum.

The crew has the same trouble getting off the ship. I have seen them running like crazy to get off the ship so they can make plane schedules.

Galveston enforces the check-in times.

We have sailed from Galveston 4 times in the last year and they definitely enforce the times! We were a few minutes late one time and got sent to the long early/late line. So next time we waited and walked up right at the time on the dot and they almost sent us to the early/late line we were no we are right on time and got in line.

On June 10 in New Orleans the check-in times were not enforced.

We sail from New Orleans for the first time in August and were wondering if they enforce the times like Galveston does. What time did you have and what time did you show up?

It's been enforced every time we've sailed. Here's the question. Let's assume it is being enforced and you arrive early. What the heck are you going to do with yourself? It's not like ports have big 'you arrived early so wait in that big area' sections. You'd literally stand on the sidewalk for however long was necessary.

My recommendation. Show up on time. :)

It's been enforced every time we've sailed. Here's the question. Let's assume it is being enforced and you arrive early. What the heck are you going to do with yourself? It's not like ports have big 'you arrived early so wait in that big area' sections. You'd literally stand on the sidewalk for however long was necessary.

My recommendation. Show up on time. :)

In Charleston, Norfolk, New Orleans, and possibly others the terminal is located so that there is plenty to do within easy walking distance. They will not refuse to check your luggage so you can easily check it and walk to a restaurant or shops nearby and occupy the time. From what I have seen, Galveston is similar. Miami, Fort Lauderdale, etc. maybe not.

I don't know about baltimore, but some ports move people faster than the check-in times are scheduled.

On our last cruise out of Fort Lauderdale, even though we were platinum, we got to the port around 12:30 and rushed right through. Noticed they were letting eveyone though regadless of check-in time, because they were so far ahead of schedule at that time, there were no lines to getto boarding.

Now if you plan to get to the port before noon, you might not find the same. But I am sure if the Carnival Port employees are not backed up, you may move faster than the check-in times allow.

The new check-in process (scanning your passport, no picture taken, S&S card in your cabin mailbox) have made things so much better.

Baltimore does not have this process yet. Our picture was taken at check-in and cards were given at check-in too.

What is the earliest check-in time people have seen for Baltimore? It looks like the terminal opens around 10, but the earliest I've seen is 12-12:30. Our last cruise we stayed in a hotel the night before and the shuttle got us there around 12 (12:30 check-in time with FTTF). The next cruise we will drive (shouldn't hit winter roads in September;)) and want to make sure we aren't too early.

In Charleston, Norfolk, New Orleans, and possibly others the terminal is located so that there is plenty to do within easy walking distance. They will not refuse to check your luggage so you can easily check it and walk to a restaurant or shops nearby and occupy the time. From what I have seen, Galveston is similar. Miami, Fort Lauderdale, etc. maybe not.

Great point. New Orleans is a perfect example. I guess I was thinking of any port that didn't have such diversion handy. Port Canaveral would be awful, for example.

In New Orleans how early and we drop off our luggage? Good idea too, drop it off early then go explore a little before boarding.

In New Orleans how early and we drop off our luggage? Good idea too, drop it off early then go explore a little before boarding.

I can't really say how early but we showed up around 10:30 and they took ours. We were by no means the first so I know it is before that.

In Charleston we had a very late time and we had stayed over night. On boarding day I am like a 5 year old on Christmas morning. We got a ride over to old town around 9 AM and planned on browsing around the market until boarding time. We saw the guys at luggage check, which is right at the street and they were very happy to check our bags. We shopped a little, had breakfast, and sat down where we could see the ship. The lines did not look too long so we took a chance and went over. They were super friendly and sent us right in. Obviously this is not always the case, but it worked for us. If they had refused, we would have just went back over to the market place. Plenty of bar stools handy in the area. ;p:D :-)

This is a port I have plenty of experience with and I will tell you they are strict at least early in the day about your appointment time. The port itself is part of a large cargo port so it is very tight quarters for the passenger terminal and on site parking (plenty of spaces just only 1 access/egress option). So the parking area does not allow new cars in until about 3/4 of previous cruise passengers have left.

With the Pride's docking time being either 9 or 10am this means often the parking lot does not open until 11/11:30am. This in turn causes a big back-up and if the Baltimore police get involved you will find yourself just circling on the access road until the parking lot does start accepting new cars. Priority or appointment times mean nothing to the parking personnel, so they let anyone and everyone park as the police let them in.

Depending on the time the Pride arrives back at the earliest priority boarding will start at noon (for the 9am docking), and the door personnel are vigilant about making those that arrive too early for their appointment time wait. Mostly it's because there are not that many seats (when compared to other ports) for those waiting to board. Having the 2-2:30 check-in appointment time will have you avoid many of the back-ups and waits that happen at this port.

So aim for arriving around 1pm and the parking lot should be caught up, unless there was a delay in docking. That should have you at the terminal doors about 1:30 and as long s boarding has gone smoothly you could be allowed in. Once inside because there is not that large of a waiting area zone embarkation is pretty much caught up by 2pm that there should be little to no wait after the check-in counter to board the ship.

Can anyone tell me when you select your boarding time? Is this new? My last cruise was two years ago and I do not remember doing this for the pride? If you have Faster to the Fun you still cannot board early?