Classes onboard Disney Magic

teacher1977

Would like to know what types of classes (scrapbooking, jewelry making, card making, etc.) are available while onboard Disney Magic 8 night cruise.

Unlike other cruise lines, DCL doesn't really hold those sorts of classes, usually. We've found, when they were available, it was someone on our Roll Call setting them up.

On our Hawaii cruise, there was a koa-nut bracelet making "class" and a lei making class. And they often have knot-tying classes and some food prep classes.

You can research for past Navigators for ideas of what, if any, classes they have.

What is available has varied over the years as well as with the length of the cruise and the ship. Most classes are offered on sea days. The offerings have been steadily decreasing except perhaps on the TA cruises and Hawaiian cruises...those with lots of sea days.

The fitness center has/had several classes and opportunities starting with "Walk a Mile" early in the morning and going to various classes and seminars (thinly veiled sales pitches) throughout the week. Spinning is the most popular class. Yoga on the beach is popular on Castaway day. Sign up for these in the spa, starting on day 1. The offerings have decreased!

There are lots of tastings/mixology classes--obviously adult only, with a small fee.

There used to be 3 different series of classes (9 classes total) on sea days. As far as I know, the only remnants of this series are a napkin folding class, a towel animal class, and an ice carving demonstration. There is sometimes a series of 3 cooking classes, now titled "Anyone can cook" with a recipe hand out and demo by a chef.

The scrapbooking "class" is a thinly veiled future cruise presentation--you get a sheet of their special paper. Anyone who knows anything about scrapbooking might attend to get the paper, but you won't get any learning from this class!

On special cruises, there are special events and classes themed to the cruise. They also tend to bring on special entertainers who may give a series of lectures or classes.

This is A LOT less than what other cruise lines offer.

• 1 month later...

There are lots of tastings/mixology classes--obviously adult only' date=' with a small fee.

This is A LOT less than what other cruise lines offer.[/quote']

Where can you find out when they will be offering these classes? I doubt they are posted on the website? Do you need to wait until you are on board? Can you find out whole week's tasting schedule on your first day?

The tastings and mixology are often posted with the excursions and other things you can make reservations for. Yes, you can see the normal schedule for the entire cruise, but if they fill up, I've seen additional sessions offered. The free classes are not posted till you are on board--exercise classes sign up in the fitness center on the first day. Scrapbooking, "anyone can cook" and such are in the Navigator.

The tastings and mixology are often posted with the excursions and other things you can make reservations for. Yes' date=' you can see the normal schedule for the entire cruise, but if they fill up, I've seen additional sessions offered. The free classes are not posted till you are on board--exercise classes sign up in the fitness center on the first day. Scrapbooking, "anyone can cook" and such are in the Navigator.[/quote']

It's under "onboard fun".

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Got it. Thanks. I'll assume the tasting schedule won't be available until we board?

On long cruises, we have been able to book tastings in advance. This included both those scheduled by DCL and those that were privately arranged for "our" group....which was a bunch of people who met on the boards.

I've never booked one on a cruise of a week or less, so can't say for sure. I do think that they can be booked on line after your booking window opens, but won't swear to this!