Hop On Hop Off In Cartagena?

SadieC

Looking at options for touring Cartagena and have appreciated all the threads so far. Has anyone ever used Hop On Hop Off as an option? Looking at that, or perhaps Dora the Explorer. Appreciate any recommendations!

Looking at options for touring Cartagena and have appreciated all the threads so far. Has anyone ever used Hop On Hop Off as an option? Looking at that, or perhaps Dora the Explorer. Appreciate any recommendations!

We had planned on the HoHo, but time is limited with our schedule change. We've opted for Dora instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Their "map" is somewhat goofy. It has that yellow line, but it also reads that cruise passengers should walk to stop 2. I think that I will send an email for clarification.

Jim

JimKaren did you find any info on how to get to the Stop #2? It seems like quite a bit of a walk.... but not sure how much I would trust a taxi... Thx.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Trying to decide between two options in Cartagena:

1) booking the Hop On Hop Off through Celebrity ship excursion (understand that booking through cruise line , the HOHO bus picks up and drops off right at the ship)

or

2) a van tour with Dora the Explorer

Any suggestions or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks in Advance!

Thank You, Froufie! I'm definitely leaning that way.

Has anyone out there done the Hop On Hop Off bus as an excursion through Celebrity? The ship's excursion info shows it as a four-hour tour. When I've done HOHO on my own, in other towns, the amount of time we chose to spend was totally up to us. If there's truly a time limit on this excursion, I'm guessing that the ship has "chartered" the HOHO service to take cruisers to pre-selected spots for specific amounts of time. Does anybody know how that ship's excursion works?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We booked the HOHO tour through the ship for our next cruise but plan not to hop off except in the walled city. Our friends took it last year and loved it, they only hopped off in the walled city and liked the walking tour.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

We loved the HOHO tour in Cartagena on 11/9/18. We only hopped off for the walled city. The HOHO folks give you a free guided walking tour . The only bathroom breaks were at the start of the walking tour and at the end of the walking tour. It seemed like the tour guide would personalize the walking tour a little bit but nobody in our group had any preference for that. The nice thing that really stood out is that when we were ready to hop back on the HOHO bus, the guide callled ahead, got the time it would be there and had us wait in air conditioned comfort in the Hard Rock Cafe. The HOHO people were wonderful! They were so nice and went out of their way to make sure everyone was happy. I think they read the trip advisor reviews and they try very hard to make it a good experience. I’d say it was worth the price. But I’ll also say if you want to ride around in a modern air conditioned bus, take a different tour! Cartagena was in the low 80’s, our tour left Celebrity at 9:30 and we were not hot, there was a good breeze, and I’m someone who is always hot! They do pick you up at the ship and drop you off at the ship if you buy the excursion through Celebrity, it’s very much worth it for that reason. The lady in red in the photo was our walking tour guide.

BBCD03D8-9D13-4E8C-985E-A6CAFF47E824.jpeg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I'm on a Princess Panama Canal Full Transit Cruise this spring. The Hop on Hop Off Excursion in Cartagena is baffling to me. I don't understand the differences between booking it directly with City Sightseeing vs. a Princess Excursion except that the latter is double the price. It seems a lot of people here have booked the Hop On Hop Off Bus as an excursion so I'm hoping someone can clarify the differences. Thank you in advance!

1) Pick Up Point

If booked as an excursion, the Hop On Hop Off Tour starts at the cruise ship pier or there is a shuttle bus from the ship disembarkation point to the Hop On Hop Off bus.

If booked directly, you must make your way on foot or in a taxi to stop #2 of the Hop On Hop Off bus.

2) Walking Tour

If booked as an excursion, a walking tour of the walled city is included. Does the walking tour start at stop #4, one of the stops immediately after leaving the cruise ship terminal? I ask because I would like to do a walking tour of the walled city but would also like to get off at stop #5 for Castilo San Felipe. If the walking tour is only available for cruise passengers, I would have to make sure that is the first stop we hop off when the bus is still a Princess excursion bus.

If booked directly, the included walking tour of the walled city is only offered at 4pm. This is too late for us as our ship departs at 6pm.

3) Returning to Port

If we book as an excursion and hop off for the walking tour but hop on at the end of the walking tour, presumably we will still be on a "cruise excursion bus" as we will have all remained together. If we hop off again at Castilo San Felipe, when we hop back on, we will hop on whatever bus comes. If isn't a cruise excursion bus but instead a regular hop on, hop off bus doing the circuit, presumably it won't return to the ship. So if we do hop off, are some of the Hop On Hop Off buses labeled as Princess Excursion bus or will we need to make our way from stop #2 to the ship? In other words, is the excursion really just 1 circuit with the option for the walled city walking tour or do the Princess excursion buses run throughout the day, enabling us to get back to the ship.

Thank you!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I would also like to take the HOHO bus.  Since I don't walk long distances, we don't want to get off.  

We have done the tour of the city a few years ago.  This year we just want to take things in from the top of a HOHO bus.

Concerned about even walking to Stop#2.  How far is that?  I don't think our ship offers this as an excursion. 

I've read also about a trolley.  Does the trolley come near the cruise port?

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone done this excursion through a cruise line recently?  I am thinking this is the best way to go as they drop off at the port versus doing it on my own and having to get to the regular stop.

Secondly what happens if you hop off?   Do you get the next cruise bus or switch to the regular ones that do not go to the port.

Lastly, does the excursion HOHO make any stops at all or do you have to hop off?

Thank You!

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 10:54 PM, BlueSky100 said:

We loved the HOHO tour in Cartagena on 11/9/18. We only hopped off for the walled city. The HOHO folks give you a free guided walking tour . The only bathroom breaks were at the start of the walking tour and at the end of the walking tour. It seemed like the tour guide would personalize the walking tour a little bit but nobody in our group had any preference for that. The nice thing that really stood out is that when we were ready to hop back on the HOHO bus, the guide callled ahead, got the time it would be there and had us wait in air conditioned comfort in the Hard Rock Cafe. The HOHO people were wonderful! They were so nice and went out of their way to make sure everyone was happy. I think they read the trip advisor reviews and they try very hard to make it a good experience. I’d say it was worth the price. But I’ll also say if you want to ride around in a modern air conditioned bus, take a different tour! Cartagena was in the low 80’s, our tour left Celebrity at 9:30 and we were not hot, there was a good breeze, and I’m someone who is always hot! They do pick you up at the ship and drop you off at the ship if you buy the excursion through Celebrity, it’s very much worth it for that reason. The lady in red in the photo was our walking tour guide.

BBCD03D8-9D13-4E8C-985E-A6CAFF47E824.jpeg

Was this the excursion hoho or the self tour?

• 2 months later...