Vaccination

Pilotmd80

No vaccinations are required to enter Japan or China so no worries.

Although one should do this anyway it's always a good idea before you travel to be sure your vaccinations are up to date.

Before you enter you arrive to your first port in China you are likely going to be required to go to an area where the ships medical staff will take your temperature as this is a requirement to enter China. They worry about people being sick such as the flu. Likewise Japan often has some requirements where your temperature will be checked but that varies.

Keith

Before you enter you arrive to your first port in China you are likely going to be required to go to an area where the ships medical staff will take your temperature as this is a requirement to enter China. They worry about people being sick such as the flu. Likewise Japan often has some requirements where your temperature will be checked but that varies.

Keith

When did China start this?

When did China start this?

A lot of countries do this. Most times they use a thermal camera and you don't even realize it is being done.

If the thermal camera flags you, they will pull you aside and take your temperature to make sure.

One vaccination I forgot, there is a recommendation for a one time adult polio booster, after age 18. If you have not had this, I would get it also. Polio is still around, and you really don't want to get it.

A lot of countries do this. Most times they use a thermal camera and you don't even realize it is being done.

If the thermal camera flags you, they will pull you aside and take your temperature to make sure.

Yes, they did this in a couple of ports in Japan.

Keith

To come back to the op's question:

No vaccinations needed for China and Japan.

We travelled to both countries on separate land trips and on a cruise from Hong Kong to Osaka visa Shanghai - Tianjin -.Seoul and a number of small ports in between. The various vaccinations we have are for tropical countries (i.e. yellow fever)

So here's how it went when we spent a month in Asia last year. We flew to Beijing from NYC and as you get off the plane you walk through a temperature sensor. It moves very quickly and if you don't have a fever it won't be a problem. Then you move onto border control (which can be chaotic). As our cruise moved from China to Japan (and then back to China) we would have to go through passport control on the ship and as part of that there were more temperature sensors. It wasn't bad, but just be prepared for some lines as it's not the fastest process. This was on Oceania in Feb 2016. We did not have any vaccines.

There aren't any required vaccinations (unless you are coming from a country on the Yellow fever list). The CDC has vaccine recommendations:

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/traveler/cruise_ship/china?s_cid=ncezid-dgmq-travel-single-001

I got Hep A and B before going to China. Hepatitis A was particularly recommended from China because it can get passed by eating and the Chinese practice of serving oneself with ones own chopsticks from shared dishes increases the risk. For example, if you went on an excursion that included that kind of meal. And it is generally a good one to have for traveling anyway.

The Hepatitis B was more on general principles and because one might as well get it along with getting the Hep A - I travel a lot and there is always the slight risk of getting exposed if one has to have a blood transfusion or something like that.

I see that they now have Typhoid vaccine on the recommended list. It wasn't when I traveled and I don't think I've ever gotten that vaccine. Edited: actually, now I'm not sure about that - I see it can be given as a pill and I recall getting a pill vaccine for something so may have gotten it.

Typhoid is a good one to get for many countries.

The injection is good for 2 years. The oral is 4 pills (one every other day) and the pills must be refrigerated. The oral one is good for 4 years. Since typhoid is an oral exposure, the oral is a bit better.

Also, if you are older, the pneumococcal vaccine is good to have. I started getting even when younger, because of some of the places I go. I want to have all the help I can get. :)