Beverage card

sparky3229

Can I buy this once I am on the ship using my shipboard credits in my account? I am expecting to use those credits for our drinks and daily tips. It would be easier to have the beverage card, however, ($50) so I don't have to keep track of all of the little receipts.

Oh yes, I understand I can buy more...but will they accept my shipboard credits and just deduct the $50 from that? If I buy them now it will have to be a new charge on my credit card. (I don't sail for another week).

Oh yes, I understand I can buy more...but will they accept my shipboard credits and just deduct the $50 from that? If I buy them now it will have to be a new charge on my credit card. (I don't sail for another week).

Yes. Buy them on the ship and they'll be deducted from your shipboard credits.

What's the advantage of the beverage cards over just charging everything to your key card? I want to make sure I'm not missing something....thanks for any insight you can provide.

There is no financial advantage (once upon a time, there was.)

However, there is a considerable advantage in organization of reconciling your account at the end of the cruise.

When you purchase drinks, and charge to your cabin card, every single purchase shows as a transaction on your bill. You have to keep every receipt, preferably in order, to balance out on that last morning.

When you purchase a beverage card, it shows as one transaction on your cabin key. Very easy to reconcile when you are getting ready to leave the ship.

The amount is loaded on the card, and purchases are deducted as you make them. You get a slip at the time which shows starting balance, price deducted, and remaining balance. When you purchase the next drink, you check the two receipts against each other, then toss the old one.

Am I correct in assuming that I can purchase one $250 beverage card & use it for both DH's & my drinks in addition to specialty coffee's in Explorers Lounge? And when that is used up purchase another smaller card?:)

Yes. You are correct.

However, there is a considerable advantage in organization of reconciling your account at the end of the cruise.

When you purchase drinks, and charge to your cabin card, every single purchase shows as a transaction on your bill. You have to keep every receipt, preferably in order, to balance out on that last morning.

When you purchase a beverage card, it shows as one transaction on your cabin key. Very easy to reconcile when you are getting ready to leave the ship.

The amount is loaded on the card, and purchases are deducted as you make them. You get a slip at the time which shows starting balance, price deducted, and remaining balance. When you purchase the next drink, you check the two receipts against each other, then toss the old one.

Ruth, with the declining value of the CAD dollar, there is a definite advantage to buying in advance. Of course, during a period of a strengthening Loonie, the opposite would be true and buying onboard would be advantageous.

Otherwise, I agree completely. :)

Ruth, with the declining value of the CAD dollar, there is a definite advantage to buying in advance. Of course, during a period of a strengthening Loonie, the opposite would be true and buying onboard would be advantageous.

Otherwise, I agree completely. :)

Which is not the question I was answering.

If a Canadian were to purchase the beverage card on board, vs. charging drinks to the cabin card, my answer is on the mark.

If that Canadian were to purchase a beverage card in advance, vs. either purchase it on board, or charge drinks to the cabin card, then your point is valid.

What's the advantage of the beverage cards over just charging everything to your key card? I want to make sure I'm not missing something....thanks for any insight you can provide.

No biggie, but that certainly seems to be the question you answered.

No biggie, but that certainly seems to be the question you answered.

I'm not sure of the point you are trying to make but Ruth is entirely correct in her response, regardless of whether we Canadians purchase at a high or a low. The question asked was very clear. There is no advantage anymore of purchasing a Beverage card other than not having lots of bits of paper to reconcile. At one time, there was a financial advantage at time of purchase - either onboard or in advance. Now it is just face value.

If I buy it today when the exchange rate is approximately .76, it will cost me less than if the Loonie drops to .70. Consequently, there's a financial advantage to buying the card if, as I said, the CAD continues to drop. You might want to look at some of the other threads discussing the same advantage in buying OBC before the dollar drops any further.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One advantage of buying drink cards in advance is that they will have your name printed on them. Cards purchased on the ship will not. If the steward is very busy with a number of other cards when you present yours , having the name on the card is helpful to ensure you will receive the correct card back.

If I buy it today when the exchange rate is approximately .76, it will cost me less than if the Loonie drops to .70. Consequently, there's a financial advantage to buying the card if, as I said, the CAD continues to drop. You might want to look at some of the other threads discussing the same advantage in buying OBC before the dollar drops any further.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sure, as long as your crystal ball is clear, you can definitely save by purchasing your U.S. $ items at the right time, A good discussion IF the OP had been from Canada and IF the OP had to pay for it. Since the OP is from the U.S. and has OBC already to use to pay for it the condition of the Canadian dollar does not affect them.

Edited by kazu

One advantage of buying drink cards in advance is that they will have your name printed on them. Cards purchased on the ship will not. If the steward is very busy with a number of other cards when you present yours , having the name on the card is helpful to ensure you will receive the correct card back.

Good point.

@Lizzie-clearly more than enough info! (I am the OP). I do also like the latest point made, about having the name on the card. But I want to use my shipboard credits rather than a new charge on my card before the cruise. I will bring a sharpie and write my name on the card!

Edited by sparky3229

@Lizzie-clearly more than enough info! (I am the OP). I do also like the latest point made, about having the name on the card. But I want to use my shipboard credits rather than a new charge on my card before the cruise. I will bring a sharpie and write my name on the card!

Yes that is a very good idea. It is easy for cards to get mixed up. I alway gave mine to the server on the distinctive lanyard, which helps. I think if I didn't have my name on it I would put definitely mark it with a bright colour.

On one cruise I was with a group of 16, most of whom met for cocktails at the same time every night. We all had beverage cards.

That could have been a huge headache for someone every night.

A very smart steward put a trip of some white tape on every card, then wrote our name on our card. Returning them to the correct person was a snap.

Because the names were written on tape, they didn't smear.

AH smearing...Sharpie is pretty good about not smearing. But note to self...maybe I should bring some of that blue tape we have for when we paint at home (to help make a nice edge). Do you think they have this white tape at whatever desk it is where i will buy the card???

AH smearing...Sharpie is pretty good about not smearing. But note to self...maybe I should bring some of that blue tape we have for when we paint at home (to help make a nice edge). Do you think they have this white tape at whatever desk it is where i will buy the card???

You but the Beverage cards at one of the bars.

Doubt if they will have any tape.

Yes that is a very good idea. It is easy for cards to get mixed up. I alway gave mine to the server on the distinctive lanyard, which helps. I think if I didn't have my name on it I would put definitely mark it with a bright colour.

I like the lanyard idea. Were the servers okay with having to take it out of the plastic or did you punch a hole in the card and clip it on the lanyard?