Thailand: Ko Sanui or Surat Thani or Phuket

diane.in.ny

Thinking of spending a few days post-trip at a beach resort and was wondering if anyone might have something they can share about any of these locations.

We will be finishing up our trip in Bangkok and both the islands and Phuket is easy to get to by air from BKK plus all have flights to Hong Kong for our trip home.

We are in our 70's and not interested in a party atmosphere. Just want to relax, enjoy the beach and the water.

TIA!

We are in our mid sixties. Four winters in Thailand. We love the county, the people, and the food.

We have been three beaches on Koh Samui, and had several stays in Phuket. We do not like Phuket. Far too touristy, too dificult to get around. We enjoyed our time in Koh Samui five years ago. It too is very touristy though less so than Phuket. Also, the beaches in Koh Samui are very different from each other. Bo Phut is a fishing village. The beach there has a very steep drop to the water. We did not like it as much-harder to walk along. Cheweng and Lamai (sp) had more sand, more tourists. We liked both. As I recall the waves on Lamia were bigger. Great walking beaches with places along the beach to stop for a drink and watch the world go by. Lots of restaurants with tables on the sand that served breakfast and lunch. As I recall only Bangkok Air flies directly to Koh Samui. The others fly to Surat Thani and then bus/ferry you to the island on the same ticket. Our regional airline of choice is Air Asia, thought we have used Nok Air a few times.

We have also stayed on the beaches an hour or so north of Phuket by cab/mini van in Khao Lak. Very nice beaches that we enjoyed. It really is not much longer than getting to some of the resorts on Phuket because of the traffic and the road system.

Our strong preference is the islands south of Phuket of which Ko Lanta is the largest. Less touristy, none of the sex outfits you see on Phuket. Less crowded. We stay at Long Beach (Phae An) or Klong Nin. You can get to Ko Lanta by ferry from Phuket or by flying into Krabi (our preference) and arranging a shuttle to the island. There are some other more rustic islands, some of which consist of a strip of beach. You arrive by long boat, fast ferry, etc. This past winter we stayed on Ko Ngai (only a beach) and Ko Libong for a few days each. On both islands, the beach was steps from our chalet.

We typically avoid the large western style resorts and stay in smaller, locally run places.

hope this helps

iancal

Thanks for your Reply. Gives us something to think about.

Hi,

Last December I stayed on Koh Samui and Koh Phangam. To get to Koh Phangam, you need to take a ferry from Koh Samui but it is a beautiful island with many beautiful resorts. You might want to check that island out.

Phyllis

Hi,

Last December I stayed on Koh Samui and Koh Phangam. To get to Koh Phangam, you need to take a ferry from Koh Samui but it is a beautiful island with many beautiful resorts. You might want to check that island out.

Phyllis

Thanks but we have limited time. So our plan right now is to stay on Koh Samui.

Where did you stay?

• 1 month later...

Hi I don't think you have said which month you plan to arrive. The world weather patterns are topsy turvy but still worth checking weather expectations for the period you arrive. There are differing monsoon periods between Phuket and Koh Samui. Have a great Thai visit fabulous place

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi I don't think you have said which month you plan to arrive. The world weather patterns are topsy turvy but still worth checking weather expectations for the period you arrive. There are differing monsoon periods between Phuket and Koh Samui. Have a great Thai visit fabulous place

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Good point. We will be there in February. Can you advise one way or the other?