Shanghai cruise terminal for Celebrity

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:32 PM.
Washington
2,311 Posts
Joined May 2008
We will be cruising out of Shanghai next February and plan to stay at the Hyatt on the Bund. During emails with the hotel, I am confused as to how far the hotel is from the Shanghai Wusongkou International Cruise Terminal where I believe Celebrity leaves from. The hotel told me it was a long way, yet the google maps show it as being less than a mile. I have exchanged emails with the hotel several times without any clarification. Has anyone ever stayed at that hotel and can confirm the cruise terminal for Celebrity is very close?

Also, what type of transportation is available to get to the cruise terminal?

Thanks for any help.
435 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
Originally posted by Husky61
We will be cruising out of Shanghai next February and plan to stay at the Hyatt on the Bund. During emails with the hotel, I am confused as to how far the hotel is from the Shanghai Wusongkou International Cruise Terminal where I believe Celebrity leaves from. The hotel told me it was a long way, yet the google maps show it as being less than a mile. I have exchanged emails with the hotel several times without any clarification. Has anyone ever stayed at that hotel and can confirm the cruise terminal for Celebrity is very close?

Also, what type of transportation is available to get to the cruise terminal?

Thanks for any help.

Celebrity use Baoshan/ Wusongkou cruise terminal. We took a taxi from our hotel which cost around $20 or less. Definitely wasn't expensive at all. It is around 30km from your hotel. Celebrity cannot sail to the terminal in town

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Washington
2,311 Posts
Joined May 2008
Originally posted by dallas16
Celebrity use Baoshan/ Wusongkou cruise terminal. We took a taxi from our hotel which cost around $20 or less. Definitely wasn't expensive at all. It is around 30km from your hotel. Celebrity cannot sail to the terminal in town
Thanks,

From what I can determine, the cruise terminal at Wusongkou is the same as the Shanghai international cruise terminal which is less than a mile from the Hyatt on the Bund hotel. I am having difficulties with the person at the hotel understanding if the two cruise port names are at the same location. There are conflicting opinions. I called Celebrity and they were no help.
435 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
Thanks,

From what I can determine, the cruise terminal at Wusongkou is the same as the Shanghai international cruise terminal which is less than a mile from the Hyatt on the Bund hotel. I am having difficulties with the person at the hotel understanding if the two cruise port names are at the same location. There are conflicting opinions. I called Celebrity and they were no help.

Per this website .http://www.tour-beijing.com/transpor...p#.Wxlv4NHTXxx They are not the same terminal. Large ships over 70000 tonnes cannot dock on the bund due to low bridges on the river. Celebrity's terminal is at Wusongkou and is 30km from the Bund around forty minutes in a taxi. You will not be able to walk to your ship.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Florida
4,528 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Google maps and China are not compatible. We noticed on our first trip to Beijing that our hotel was in the wrong place on google maps. The hotel website had photos which clearly showed a different intersection. When we arrived, we found that the hotel's website was correct and google maps was not.

Use the maps that were posted for you.
Germany/Sunny Isles, FL
1,675 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
Celebrity has no ship sailing up the river into Shanghai. Even M-class is simply too large.

Celebrity use the International Cruise Terminal in BAOSHAN. We have been there twice with Millennium. You should find the name Baoshan on your itinerary.

Taxis from the Bund are the equivalent of 20-25 USD and (depending on traffic) it takes you 35 minute to up to an hour to get there.

Click on our Japan Cruise review in my signature for more info. The cruise ended in Shanghai and we spent two more nights there.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
travellove.one/travelandcruise.net is our personal, non-commercial website created to share our passion for travel and cruising. We are not affiliated to any business or cruise line.
Miami, Florida
308 Posts
Joined Jan 2017
Per this website .http://www.tour-beijing.com/transpor...p#.Wxlv4NHTXxx They are not the same terminal. Large ships over 70000 tonnes cannot dock on the bund due to low bridges on the river. Celebrity's terminal is at Wusongkou and is 30km from the Bund around forty minutes in a taxi. You will not be able to walk to your ship.

Actually the height of bridges has very little to do with the problem.
My ship sails up the Wangpu river to the International Terminal at the end of the Bund on a regular basis. There is only one bridge we sail under, and it is not very low.
The real challenge is the length of the ship.
Once the ship has sailed UP the river to Shanghai, it must turn around in order to sail DOWN the river, back to the sea. The river is just not wide enough to allow a large ship to turn around.
Sailing backward for 40 kilometres back to the sea is not a viable option.

My ship, at 68,000 tons and 870 feet long, can just barely manage to turn around at Shanghai without the bow or stern hitting the river bank. The heavy shipping traffic on the river makes it even more difficult.

All the Celebrity ships are too large to dock at the Bund. They must call at the container terminal outside of town.
Washington
2,311 Posts
Joined May 2008
Dallas,

Thanks for that website, it made thinks a lot clearer.
Washington
2,311 Posts
Joined May 2008
Originally posted by Miaminice
Celebrity has no ship sailing up the river into Shanghai. Even M-class is simply too large.

Celebrity use the International Cruise Terminal in BAOSHAN. We have been there twice with Millennium. You should find the name Baoshan on your itinerary.

Taxis from the Bund are the equivalent of 20-25 USD and (depending on traffic) it takes you 35 minute to up to an hour to get there.

Click on our Japan Cruise review in my signature for more info. The cruise ended in Shanghai and we spent two more nights there.
Were you able to find any nice hotels in the area of the Baoshan cruise terminal?
435 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
Were you able to find any nice hotels in the area of the Baoshan cruise terminal?

I think there are a few hotels in Baoshan marketed at Chinese people but there aren't any major tourist hotels there and the area isn't really a tourist area at all. I would stay in central Shanghai and get a taxi, taxis in china aren't that expensive

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Germany/Sunny Isles, FL
1,675 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
Why would I want to stay in Baoshan?
Nothing there to see!

After debarkation in Baoshan we took a taxi into Shanghai and stayed at the Bund (Les Suites Orient Hotel).

The other time we took the taxi straight to the airport.

Believe me, you do not want to stay in Baoshan. Enjoy Shanghai, take a taxi to the port and enjoy your cruise. Taxis are inexpensive in China.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
travellove.one/travelandcruise.net is our personal, non-commercial website created to share our passion for travel and cruising. We are not affiliated to any business or cruise line.
Washington
2,311 Posts
Joined May 2008
Thanks to everyone for the great information. I will probably stay at The Hyatt on the Bund.

Again, thanks everyone.
USA
5,279 Posts
Joined Jun 2007
I realize that this thread is about a Celebrity ship, but do any of you Shanghai experts know if my small Oceania Insignia ship will be able to go up the river to dock? It's only 30,277 tonnage and is 593.7 ft. in length.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Life's Milestones are Best Celebrated in Nautical Miles.

Oceania Insignia 1-2019 (World Cruise - 161 days)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oceania Insignia 12-2017 (Cuba - 7 days)
Regal Princess 11-2017 (Western Caribbean - 7 days)
Caribbean Princess 3-2017 (Southern Caribbean - 8 days)
Celebrity Silhouette 8-2016 (British Isles, Guernsey, Belgium, Amsterdam - 14 days)
Grand Princess 11-2015 (Hawaii - 15 days)

Celebrity Infinity 10-2014 (TA - England, Azores, Bermuda, Bahamas - 14 days)
Celebrity Reflection 3-2014 (Eastern Caribbean - 7 days)
Crown Princess 7-2013 (Baltics/Russia - 14 days)
Emerald Princess 3-2012 (Eastern Caribbean - 10 days)
Caribbean Princess 6-2011 (Canada/New England - 9 days)
Crown Princess 9-2010 (TA - British Isles, Iceland, Greenland, Canada - 14 days)
Coral Princess 12-2008 (Full Panama Canal, Central America, Mexico - 14 days)
Sun Princess 9-2007 (Alaska - 7 days)
Carnival Paradise 9-2003 (Western Caribbean - 7 days)
Carnival Fantasy 1-1990 (Bahamas - 4 days)
Carnival Holiday 12-1989 (Western Caribbean - 7 days)

435 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
Originally posted by Go-Bucks!
I realize that this thread is about a Celebrity ship, but do any of you Shanghai experts know if my small Oceania Insignia ship will be able to go up the river to dock? It's only 30,277 tonnage and is 593.7 ft. in length.

Oceania Insignia will almost certainly be able to cruise all the way up the river to the terminal at the Bund. I think all the small cruise ships dock there

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Southern California by way of Kentucky
21,652 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
While some of you above have suggested a couple of hotel choices...I'll just add our favorite we've stayed at the last 4 trips to Shanghai and will be there again in October.

The Grand Central Hotel...just an amazing location and hotel !!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
May 2018 Celebrity Eclipse: October 2017 RCI Anthem: March 2017 RCI Harmony: May 2016 RCI Adventure B2B: September 2015 RCI Radiance: March 2015 RCI Mariner: Oct 2014 RCI Jewel: May 2014 RCI Radiance: Oct 2013 RCI Oasis: May 2013 RCI Radiance: Feb 2012 PCL Sapphire: Aug 2011 RCI Liberty: Mar 2011 RCI Liberty: Aug 2010 RCI Jewel: Mar 2010 RCI Independance: May 2009 RCI Radiance: Jan 2009 RCI Independance: Oct 2007 RCI Vision: Oct 2006 RCI Vision: Oct 2005 RCI Vision: Oct 2004 RCI Vision: Aug 1997 RCI Viking Serenade: July 1995 RCI Viking Serenade: July 1994 RCI Viking Serenade: July 1985 Azure: June 1984 Azure:
Washington
2,311 Posts
Joined May 2008
Originally posted by Miaminice

After debarkation in Baoshan we took a taxi into Shanghai and stayed at the Bund (Les Suites Orient Hotel).
T
Miami,

Took your advice and looked into booking the Les Suites Orient and found out hey were totally booked for the entire month of February, 2019.

Looks like a very nice hotel.

Thanks
Sydney Australia
1,574 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Miami,

Took your advice and looked into booking the Les Suites Orient and found out hey were totally booked for the entire month of February, 2019.

Thanks
We stayed at Les Suites Orient 6 years ago. Fabulous hotel in a perfect location on the Bund esp in a room that overlooks the river

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jeanette (and Mel)

Sun Princess November 2009 Sydney - New Zealand - Sydney 13 nights
Blue Lagoon Cruise September 2010- Fiji
Sapphire Princess May 2011 Seattle - Alaska - Seattle 7 nights[/url]
Voyager of the Seas June 2012 Singapore - Shanghai
Norwegian Jewel April 2013 New York - Los Angeles (via Panama Canal) 17 nights
Dawn Princess November 2013 Sydney - Hobart - Melbourne
Diamond Princess January 2014 Sydney - Auckland
P&O Pacific Pearl July 2014 Pacific Islands
P&O Pacific Pearl August 2014 Sydney - Mooloolaba

P&O Pacific Jewel 3 day Bucket list cruise
Sapphire Princess B2B Dec 14/Jan 15 Singapore Brunei KL Phuket
P&O Pacific Pearl Feb 2015 Sydney - Kangaroo Island
Rhapsody OTS March 2015 Sydney Cairns
P&O Pacific Pearl July 2015 Auckland Pentacost Vila
Sun Princess August 2015 Sydney - Brisbane
Wht Mts, NH - Gulf Coast, FL
3,022 Posts
Joined Jun 2004
Miami,

Thanks
I found the same thing during repeated searches over the past few months. When I saw I could book through some third party booking sites, I contacted the hotel directly. Turns out their website is only taking reservations for 2018, but you can book with them directly.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Coming Up:
Celebrity Xpedition - Galapagos
Celebrity Millennium - China, South Korea,Japan
Celebrity Solstice - Australia to Hawaii
Past Cruises:
Celebrity Summit - Bahamas
Celebrity Reflection - Med & Greek Isles
Coral Princess - Partial Transit Panama Canal
Celebrity Silhouette - Transatlantic
Royal Caribbean Serenade of the Seas - Arctic Circle
Disney Fantasy - Souhern Caribbean
AMAPrima - Danube, Prague to Budapest
Royal Caribbean Jewel of the Seas - Southern Carib.
Carnival Imagination - Western Carib.
Carnival Valor - Southern Carib.
Norwegian Sun - Baltics, Copenhagen, St Petersburg
Royal Caribbean Brilliance - Mediterranean, Spain Italy
Celebrity Infinity - Alaska
Royal Caribbean - Voyager of the Seas, Western Carib.
Royal Caribbean Nordic Prince - Bermuda