foreign tips

we are doing a Russian tour in st.petersburg. the price is in US$ and is costly US$300 each they suggest 10% for guide and 5% for driver....I am not trying to be a miser but this tour is going to cost us a lot ....I thought I would give A$15 each converted into roubles...for a tip....what have other people given and do you think I am being a miser like my husband thinks....we do not have a lot of money

we are doing a Russian tour in st.petersburg. the price is in US$ and is costly US$300 each they suggest 10% for guide and 5% for driver....I am not trying to be a miser but this tour is going to cost us a lot ....I thought I would give A$15 each converted into roubles...for a tip....what have other people given and do you think I am being a miser like my husband thinks....we do not have a lot of money

Give what you want.

Some of the suggestions cruise lines make have no connection to reality. We did a cruise around Aus and NZ suggested tips were around 20%+.

I’m not sure I know anyone in either country who tips like that at home.

St Petersburg tours are expensive....but they are an amazing highlight you will remember forever. We tipped both our guide and driver as they were excellent . The amount you are tipping will be fine. When we toured we had to pay our tour company at the end of the tour , in US dollars , and we also tipped in US$. I think that has changed now .

I have done ships organised tours in St. Petersburg and never tipped the guide or driver and they never asked me for one either when the tour ended. It is easy to do. Just don't hand out the cash when you have paid that amount for an excursion already.

St Petersburg tours are expensive....but they are an amazing highlight you will remember forever. We tipped both our guide and driver as they were excellent . The amount you are tipping will be fine. When we toured we had to pay our tour company at the end of the tour , in US dollars , and we also tipped in US$. I think that has changed now .

we are doing 2 tours with alla tours..one in tallin and 2 days in st.petersburg....we don't have to pay till we are in st.petersburg but they said the tips for the guide and driver have to be roubles

I have no experience in tipping Russian tour guides and drivers, but for tipping around the world I always follow the 'When In Rome' advice. So whatever is customary.

Sounds like you will have a great time.

I paid the recommended gratuities on the st Petersburg tour. They're going 'above and beyond' catering for the international tourist and language effort, i.e. you're not just getting a standard local tour guide and services are to a western standard rather than local so the tip was appropriate.

I paid the recommended gratuities on the st Petersburg tour. They're going 'above and beyond' catering for the international tourist and language effort, i.e. you're not just getting a standard local tour guide and services are to a western standard rather than local so the tip was appropriate.

I agree. The tour guides in St Petersburg are exceptional . I had no hesitation in tipping them . I looked on it as a thank you for all they did to make the 2 days so memorable and spectacular.

Whether you tip or not is entirely up to you but I wouldn't be getting roubles. Tip in USD and I'm sure it'll be very much appreciated. For a couple think about tipping $20-30 USD per day divided between the guide and driver.

Whether you tip or not is entirely up to you but I wouldn't be getting roubles. Tip in USD and I'm sure it'll be very much appreciated. For a couple think about tipping $20-30 USD per day divided between the guide and driver.

Its hard to know whats best as if you tip the staff in US$ they have the hassle and expense of changing to local currency, just as you do in changing to roubles.:rolleyes:

Its hard to know whats best as if you tip the staff in US$ they have the hassle and expense of changing to local currency, just as you do in changing to roubles.:rolleyes:

ah but the US dollar is in very high demand and they get more for it in the long run :cool: