QM2 minnows pool swimming pool question?

outlawuk

I'm traveling on first segment of QM2 world cruise in Jan 15 and have no idea how many youngsters there are likely to be on board. My problem is I can't swim and I'm nervous in deeper water. In about 1 metre I can happily float about but 1.5 metre is just too deep. Do adults ever use the QM2 minows pool? If children aren't using it, is this likely to cause offence or complaint? I'm sort of hoping that on this cruise there won't even be any children about who'd want to use it. Thanks

There is a pool on deck 13(?) which is very shallow just aft of the regatta bar.
Seen here:

www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/6075998448/in/set-72157627503155752

But this has a depth of approx 2 inches!!!

I've seen adults in the Minnows Pool many times when it is not being used by children (who seem to much prefer the Deck 12 Pavilion Pool, being covered with a (sliding) glass roof for an echo, they much prefer to make lots and lots of noise there :mad: ). Given that there are five pools on board I'm sure the OP should find one that suits them. In the Spa pool

(here: www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/6075985696/in/set-72157627503155752 )

there is a large underwater bench to sit on for example.

Hope this helps :) .

Edited by pepperrn

Won't be many (if any) children on board then. Also it could well be too cold for swimming in Jan (unless you're on a longer segment going further south) so I wouldn't worry too much. There is the one with the sliding roof however so you may prefer that.

Edited by Morgans

Here are the dimensions and depths of the QM2 pools (from Cunard's online FAQs):

Minnows Pool - (Dedicated kids pool) Outside on Deck 6.

5.5m width, 8m length, 1.3m to 1m depth.

Heated to 29°C.

Canyon Ranch Spa Pool - Indoor Pool on Deck 7.

5m width, 6m length, 1.5m depth.

Heated to 34°C.

Charges apply for use of the Spa.

Terrace Pool - Outside on Deck 8.

5.5m width, 8.5m length, 1.62m to 1.4m depth.

Heated to 28°C.

Pavilion Pool - Outdoor pool with retractable roof on Deck 12.

4.8m width, 7.5m length, 1.62m to 1.38m depth.

Heated to 30°C.

Splash Pool - Outside on Deck 13.

4.8 width, 7.5m length, 0.16m depth.

Heated to 28°C to 30°C.

The Minnows Pool is dedicated to kids and their family, so make friends with some children and let them accompany you there.

being covered with a (sliding) glass roof for an echo, they much prefer to make lots and lots of noise there :mad: ). .

I never use that area just for that reason....although I've seen others peacefully sleeping. Isn't that supposed to be an adult only pool?

Heated to 30°C.

Do they ever open the roof on that pool?

Edited by DDBINK1

Heated to 30°C.

Do they ever open the roof on that pool?

During several QM2 cruises to the Caribbean, I've seen the roof open on various occasions when the weather cooperated :)

Hello

I just returned from two trans-atlantics. The so called MINNOWS pool on deck six aft was covered for both crossings. I have been on the QM2 17 times at this point and never saw it being used to any great extent. The kids seemed to take better to the larger aft pool on deck 6. I wonder if Cunard plans on removing this Minnows pool during the next refit.

Deck Chair

Won't be many (if any) children on board then. Also it could well be too cold for swimming in Jan (unless you're on a longer segment going further south) so I wouldn't worry too much. There is the one with the sliding roof however so you may prefer that.

Hi Morgans you are correct as I know you did the worldie segment this year on QE :) How are you? Check back to the roll call. We are still there!! I have written a book as well coming, out very soon. Watch this space! Maggiemou your meet & greet hostess. :)

Sorry to go off topic. On a world cruise you get very few children. We had twin 6 years old who did the full world on QM2 2012 On QE this year very few. Either way hope you have a great time. There is a kids club so the children are taken care of. The nannies are all quite young and full of energy.:)

Edited by maggiemou

• 3 years later...
Hello

I just returned from two trans-atlantics. The so called MINNOWS pool on deck six aft was covered for both crossings. I have been on the QM2 17 times at this point and never saw it being used to any great extent. The kids seemed to take better to the larger aft pool on deck 6. I wonder if Cunard plans on removing this Minnows pool during the next refit.

Deck Chair

I guess I'm confused. The aft pool on Deck 6 IS the minnows pool.

Seen here:

www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/6075998448/in/set-72157627503155752

But this has a depth of approx 2 inches!!!

I've seen adults in the Minnows Pool many times when it is not being used by children (who seem to much prefer the Deck 12 Pavilion Pool, being covered with a (sliding) glass roof for an echo, they much prefer to make lots and lots of noise there :mad: ). Given that there are five pools on board I'm sure the OP should find one that suits them. In the Spa pool

(here: www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/6075985696/in/set-72157627503155752 )

there is a large underwater bench to sit on for example.

Hope this helps :) .

To be clear, there is no discount for children who cruise other than the 3rd and 4th passenger. So yes, children enjoy swimming in the pavilion pool, which is significantly warmer, especially during a TA cruise. Children do have a right to enjoy themselves at some point during their cruise, and a pool is a likely location. Especially considering there IS an adult pool elsewhere on board.