Fashion question...

Thrak

Recently Cruise Critic listed a number of things one should never do on cruises. One major "don't" was wearing an Aloha shirt on a cruise that was to a non-tropical destination. They listed it as a major fashion faux pas and said "Don't be that guy!"

We recently took a short cruise from SF to Vancouver and saw a number of men sporting some very nice Aloha shirts. Obviously Vancouver is not a tropical destination...

I'm very curious as to the opinion of Princess passengers as to whether or not this is a commonly held opinion or if CC is all wet on this subject.

Comments?

I'm very curious as to the opinion of Princess passengers as to whether or not this is a commonly held opinion or if CC is all wet on this subject.

Comments?

I think it's common wear in California. I guess you could think of a cruise to/from a California port as "tropical." Doesn't bother me a bit to see a man in an Aloha shirt. Some of them are rather beautiful, actually.

Wear what you want! (Sticking to dinning room guidelines. Don't want this to turn into THAT kind of thread!)

My husband has tons of Aloha shirts but I only "let" him wear them on cruises. No matter the destination. We have a 14 day South America cruise coming up and he's packing 14 Aloha shirts!

Edited by Sox Fan Cruiser

The vast majority of the "10 Reasons to..." or "12 Things to Do/Not Do..." posts in the Blogs section of Cruise Critic are absolutely useless--and unworthy of further discussion here on the boards. I pity any potential first-time cruiser who takes them seriously.

Edited by fishywood

The vast majority of the "10 Reasons to..." or "12 Things to Do/Not Do..." posts in the Blogs section of Cruise Critic are absolutely useless--and unworthy of further discussion here on the boards. I pity any potential first-time cruiser who takes them seriously.

Like like like!

For me, if it's warm enough to wear an Aloha shirt, it is appropriate to wear one for casual wear. Here in Tucson, that's almost all the time.

I read the article and had the same reaction. The problem is that the articles generalize way too much and what might be a no-no on Cunard could very well be acceptable on Carnival.

I've found that it's not so much fashion sense but rather common sense. If you're on a Baltic or Asian cruise, for instance, you're unlikely to see many Hawaiian shirts. It wouldn't bother me if there were.

If is part of my definition of my vacation that I wear Aloha shirts from time to time. Wearing bright flowers and pineapples all the time would be a bit much, but I have to bring one on a cruise. Sorry.

the few times I've looked at one of these "10 Reasons..." type of articles that CC puts out, I've always found a few that I disagree wtih. As Pam said, what is a "no-no" on one line might be perfectly the custom on another.

My hubby wears a dress shirt and tie to work, but the rest of the time, anytime he leaves the house, he has a tropical print shirt on.

I don't wear tropical shirts on a non tropical cruise. I am much more fashionable than that. Instead I will wear my striped tee shirt with my plaid shorts with black knee high socks and black loafers with a fanny pack and a big straw hat with 2 beer cans on top. At the pool I am I am in fashion with my very tiny speedo!!!! (not really). I have no problem with men who wear tropical shirts although I don't personally. I rarely agree with these lists. (Oh, no offense to men who might wear that stuff.)

I just love how some people let polls and opinions decide not only what they can wear as well as what they can do. Aloha shirts rule. And as the lion says fanny packs are the greatest invention in the world.

Edited by Potstech

Like like like!

For me, if it's warm enough to wear an Aloha shirt, it is appropriate to wear one for casual wear. Here in Tucson, that's almost all the time.

Same here in Scottsdale. DH and I wear them at home and on cruises. And if we feel like wearing them on formal night, we dine in Horizon Court. :D

Wear what you want! (Sticking to dinning room guidelines. Don't want this to turn into THAT kind of thread!)

No worries there. I actually follow the dining room guidelines. :D

I just love how some people let polls and opinions decide not only what they can wear as well as what they can do. Aloha shirts rule. And as the lion says fanny packs are the greatest invention in the world.

Be very careful not to call it a "fanny pack" in Oz. You want to refer to it as a "bum bag". I've been told that "fanny" has a very different meaning down under. :eek:

As I am retired, and DH is still working, I do the packing for both of us. On our two Nov./Dec. TA cruises, not one of those Aloha shirts found it's way into the suitcase. One Aloha shirt, with muted colors of black and brown, did find it's way to Alaska with us. Aloha shirts are normally only allowed to come with us to Mexico, Hawaii, the Caribbean, the Panama Canal and occasionally a California Coastal.

There's nothing I hate more than looking like a cruise ship tourist in Europe, but I'd didn't need CC's help with that.:rolleyes: In fact, while in Cannes, I came upon a couple of fellow passengers who were surprised that I could speak English and even more surprised when I told them that I was on the ship with them. I guess my "European Camouflage" was working. ;)

Many thanks to all who replied. I'm gratified to find that my wife and I aren't as completely devoid of fashion sense as CC had implied. (OK, I actually am pretty much devoid of fashion sense...) I love my Tommy's and here in my home town (Chico, CA) they are fine for any restaurant in town. :D

As I am retired, and DH is still working, I do the packing for both of us. On our two Nov./Dec. TA cruises, not one of those Aloha shirts found it's way into the suitcase. One Aloha shirt, with muted colors of black and brown, did find it's way to Alaska with us. Aloha shirts are normally only allowed to come with us to Mexico, Hawaii, the Caribbean, the Panama Canal and occasionally a California Coastal.

There's nothing I hate more than looking like a cruise ship tourist in Europe, but I'd didn't need CC's help with that.:rolleyes: In fact, while in Cannes, I came upon a couple of fellow passengers who were surprised that I could speak English and even more surprised when I told them that I was on the ship with them. I guess my "European Camouflage" was working. ;)

OK, you've got me there. I don't suppose I would be packing Aloha shirts for Europe although nobody would have a need to reference the shirt to know that I'm a tourist. My goal would be to have a wonderful time as a tourist while making certain I am not an obnoxious tourist. There are likely far too my of those already!

OK, you've got me there. I don't suppose I would be packing Aloha shirts for Europe although nobody would have a need to reference the shirt to know that I'm a tourist. My goal would be to have a wonderful time as a tourist while making certain I am not an obnoxious tourist. There are likely far too my of those already!

You're preaching to the choir here.:D I almost lost it when Dude asked me where I learned to speak English so well.;)