San Diego cruise terminal to LA airport

Beach Dwellers

We leave our ship in San Diego and our flight leaves from LA airport at midnight same day. Would appreciate any ideas on shuttles, tours, luggage storage or what to do for the day

Not on Princess.... wrong forum? :)

Rent a car, seriously

If not, take Amtrak to LA Union Station. Put luggage in baggage hold to explore Olvera St., China Town and maybe Phillipe's (for lunch)

Take cab or FlyAway Bus to LAX.

Are you sailing with Holland America?

I noticed that the OP also posted this on the HAL board. They have sailed on Princess in the past, though. It was suggested on the HAL board that they try the west coast departures board, so not sure they will be back here.

Edited by Ryndam2002

We leave our ship in San Diego and our flight leaves from LA airport at midnight same day. Would appreciate any ideas on shuttles, tours, luggage storage or what to do for the day
Rent a car and drive. There are several interesting/fun beach towns on the way: Dana Point, Laguna Beach, Newport Beach, Huntington Beach, etc. It'll take you close to three hours of straight driving to get from San Diego to LAX. Probably longer with traffic which is pretty much guaranteed. You should plan on arriving at LAX at least 2 ½ hours before your flight. It'll take quite a while to return the car, check in and go through Security. LAX is always packed and super busy. Edited by Pam in CA

One more addition to the previous good suggestions; you can fly from San Diego (SAN) to LAX, but fares tend to be high. I only mention it in case you decide to spend the day in San Diego (lots to see and do), then you could fly up to LAX later in the day.

P.S. I'll add La Jolla to Pam's list of great SoCal beach communities, if you go that route. Some great restaurants, a few with views of surfers and sea lions in "the cove".

Edited by Ryndam2002

I would also recommend renting a car...

...and getting on the road to LA quickly...

Yes, it should be a ride that, according to Google Maps is 125 miles and should take only two hours...BUT, really prepare for three...

And, with traffic, sometimes even that is a low estimate...

But, say you are off the ship at 9:00, can get a rental car (maybe requires a quick taxi to the San Diego airport--very close to the cruise port) by 10:00 and on the road...and figuring you want to be at LAX by 10:00 pm...so, say arrive at rental car return by around 9:00 pm (estimating conservatively), that gives you about eleven hours...so, minus the main driving time, about eight hours for exploration...

Yes, you can make stops along the way (All depends on what you like to do--Laguna Beach is a favorite of many)...or you could spend a little time in San Diego and environs...Either way, I wouldn't delay too long...You want to leave yourself more than enough time to get up to the LA area...

Or, you could drive right through to Los Angeles and spend the rest of your day exploring the West Side (putting you reasonably close to LAX)...The Getty Museum, Venice Beach Boardwalk, Santa Monica (Pier, Third Street Promenade), Beverly Hills, etc. A good plan might be to end the day around Venice Beach/Marina Del Rey--as this would put you very close to LAX...Maybe end with dinner at one of my favorites--C&O Trattoria--Washington Blvd. at the Beach--between Venice and the Marina...then head to the Airport after dinner, return the car and fly home...

I agree with others; a rental (hire) car provides the most options and flexibility, and gives you a place to keep your luggage. FYI, I would allow 45 minutes to return the car at LAX and take the courtesy shuttle to the terminal. What day of the week are you arriving? That makes a big difference on what traffic to expect and how to best avoid it.

There is limited shuttle van service and it will be $150+ per person.

Train (Amtrak) is another option, about $50 per person to LA Union Station. The depot is a 2-block / 1km/ 10 minute walk from the cruise dock. Once you arrive in LA, the Flyaway bus to LAX is about $7 and runs 24/7. However this gets you to LAX much too early with nowhere for your luggage.

If you haven't purchased airline tickets yet, compare homeward fares from LAX and from SAN (connecting to LAX). The additional fare from SAN may be small or may even be less expensive!

Note: there are no lockers or left luggage at LAX.