Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite (part 2)

Airport to cruise pier is just under 10 miles or or 30 minutes of travel. Airport offers cheaper accommodation's.

If you have no sightseeing plans, especially with an evening arrival, airport suburb hotels are attractive. I like the Radisson Vancouver airport. There's a subway across the street in the morning that can get you downtown for $4 in 20 minutes.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Forums mobile app

Edited by xlxo

I'm sure this question has been asked a zillion times but...not by me lololol

Could someone please tell me a good hotel to spend one night Pre-Cruise. I am sailing on NCL out of Vancouver, and not sure how far the port is from the Airport. Should I be looking at staying near the airport and getting transportation from there in the morning? Any thoughts-suggestions will be greatly appreciated. :confused:

Google Maps is your friend. Transit system is also fully-integrated, so you can see the cheap way to get around - incoming from YVR the cabs are also fixed rate, $31 to most of downtown but $35 to the pier itself and the handful of hotels within a couple of blocks.

Unlike many ports, we believe in keeping everything nice & close together up here - so the huge benefits of a downtown hotel are that 1) there's a very good chance you can walk to the pier; 2) even if you can't, the furthest downtown hotel is going to cost you only about CAD$15 cab fare; 3) the vast majority of popular tourist sites are also located in the downtown core or have free shuttles that pick up there.

In other words - if you're arriving early enough to go sightseeing, stay downtown. If your flight is late and you just want to crash, stay at the airport to save money - then come downtown early to drop your bags (9:30am is usually a good time to drop them off) and go sightseeing until after lunch.

Boarding as late as possible ensures minimal time wasted in queues - due to US immigration controls boarding in Vancouver is a longer process than any US port, and the logistics at Canada Place mean that on busy days (3 ships) especially there are queues for Security, CBP and Cruiseline check-in. Even on a 2 ship day if you come in around noon you can wait for well over an hour in queues.

Should I be looking at staying near the airport and getting transportation from there in the morning?
If you are arriving from an evening flight.... click on this link and enter travel dates to check out the great rates.

https://www.expedia.ca/Vancouver-Hotels-Radisson-Hotel-Vancouver-Airport.h14039.Hotel-Information

• subway across the street. $4 or 20 minute to Waterfront Station. 3 blocks to pier. No $5 surcharge for departing from airport.
  • lots of Asian restaurants in area. It like being in China, Taiwan, and/or Japan.
  • airport shuttle available. Call hotel for details.

Hello,

My son & I will be flying in to Vancouver June 9 for a cruise that leaves on June 10. I have a few questions. We will be staying at Delta Marriott Downtown.

1) Would the best way to get to our hotel be by cab? Also what would be the best way to get to Canada Place from the hotel?

2) Is this hotel close to any restaurants for dinner & breakfast?

3) We will only have afternoon, evening & next morning to see some of the sites around town. Anything thing walkable? Or should we get some sort of tour?

4) Do we need to get CAD to pay for Restaurants, cab fare & shopping or can we just use a credit card?

Thank you in advance!

Thoughts....

• I normally would get a cab from the airport to the hotel. However if you are arriving in the middle of afternoon rush hour... the train is attractive to the Delta.
    @gagenie: What time is your arriving flight?
  • Restaurants? Gastown would likely be your choice. The Lookout observation deck is across the street and your dinner includes the elevator ride up. http://vancouverlookout.com/ I'll let others comment on the food.
  • another idea is a sunset dinner cruise... https://www.boatcruises.com/tour.php?pv=p4
  • Fly Over Canada is the main tourist activity North West of your hotel at the cruise terminal. It's open til 9pm.
  • Vancouver sunset is 9:17pm.... great opportunity to explore the neighborhoods before it gets dark.
  • most places will accept credit cards. You might want to check ahead of time with the cab driver to see their machine is not broken.

Edited by xlxo

Answers in red

Hello,

My son & I will be flying in to Vancouver June 9 for a cruise that leaves on June 10. I have a few questions. We will be staying at Delta Marriott Downtown.

1) Would the best way to get to our hotel be by cab?

CAD$31 cab if you have a lot of luggage. SkyTrain if you can carry/wheel your stuff a few blocks. Price depends how old your son is - $9pp 14+, $7.75pp 5-13, under 5 free.

Also what would be the best way to get to Canada Place from the hotel?

Walk! Or if too many bags, a $6 cab ride that will be more like $10 because of traffic.

2) Is this hotel close to any restaurants for dinner & breakfast?

Literally hundreds within easy walking, of all flavours and budgets from fast food to very swanky fine dining. Favourite foods? Budget? Again, age of son could weight recos!

3) We will only have afternoon, evening & next morning to see some of the sites around town. Anything thing walkable? Or should we get some sort of tour?

So many walkable things - depending how far YOU think is walkable! Within about a mile of your hotel - Chinatown, Gastown, Yaletown, Coal Harbour, free shuttles to Capilano Bridge & Grouse Mountain.

HOHO value less for you - their hours are limited so day of arrival you can only use until 5ishpm, or again a few hours next morning. Still cheaper than a 'regular' tour though even if you only get a half day use ($45 adults/$28 or $42 kids, pricing on both Trolley and WestCoast is the same, so I'd do the Trolley as they have more stops)

4) Do we need to get CAD to pay for Restaurants, cab fare & shopping or can we just use a credit card?

Small purchases like snacks, under $5, you'll need cash in a lot of stores. As xlxo said an occasional cabbies CC machine may 'break' when it's time to pay. Any resto, incl fast food, will take CCs and many stores take USD cash (watch exchange rate, although even if less than official rate often the cheapest way to get a little cash for e.g. tipping bellboys is to break a US$20 and get change in CAD)

Thank you in advance!

Thoughts....

• I normally would get a cab from the airport to the hotel. However if you are arriving in the middle of afternoon rush hour... the train is attractive to the Delta.
    @gagenie: What time is your arriving flight?
  • Restaurants? Gastown would likely be your choice. The Lookout observation deck is across the street and your dinner includes the elevator ride up. http://vancouverlookout.com/ I'll let others comment on the food.
  • another idea is a sunset dinner cruise... https://www.boatcruises.com/tour.php?pv=p4
  • Fly Over Canada is the main tourist activity North West of your hotel at the cruise terminal. It's open til 9pm.
  • Vancouver sunset is 9:17pm.... great opportunity to explore the neighborhoods before it gets dark.
  • most places will accept credit cards. You might want to check ahead of time with the cab driver to see their machine is not broken.

Our flight gets into Vancouver @ 2:30 PM.

Thank you so much for the suggestions!

Answers in red

My son is 34, so no discount for us :)

but can't wait to get there, never been to Vancouver before.

So you think we could just walk to the pier? We don't mind walking as long as it not several miles:)

Thank you so much for your help!!

Our flight gets into Vancouver @ 2:30 PM.

Thank you so much for the suggestions!

Wheels down at 2:30pm.... means you will be out of the terminal around 3:15pm. About 45 minutes before the bridge gets busy.

Your call if you want $18 by subway (2 adults) vs $35 cab carload for door to door convenience.

Hmm.... you'll arrive at your hotel around 4pm. 4:30pm is just the right time to head over to the nearby cruise terminal for a shuttle to the Capilano Suspension Bridge to take advantage of the 5pm discount. Just remember that the last shuttles are around 6pm... you may need to take public transit back to your hotel.

[YOUTUBE]pJdkKFNLYOE[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by xlxo

Wheels down at 2:30pm.... means you will be out of the terminal around 3:15pm. About 45 minutes before the bridge gets busy.

Your call if you want $18 by subway (2 adults) vs $35 cab carload for door to door convenience.

Hmm.... you'll arrive at your hotel around 4pm. 4:30pm is just the right time to head over to the nearby cruise terminal for a shuttle to the Capilano Suspension Bridge to take advantage of the 5pm discount. Just remember that the last shuttles are around 6pm... you may need to take public transit back to your hotel.

Oh gosh I am terrified to do the Suspension Bridge :eek:

But we will probably just get a cab to the hotel. And set out of foot for the evening. being it's will be a early flight for us and plus the time difference from GA to Vancouver

My son is 34, so no discount for us :)

but can't wait to get there, never been to Vancouver before.

So you think we could just walk to the pier? We don't mind walking as long as it not several miles:)

Thank you so much for your help!!

Could he pass for 13? Maybe with a backwards baseball cap and baggy pants? ;-)

Alternatively, if you yourself are >65 then Concession fares also apply (seniors pay the same as the kids rates I gave above).

Walking from the Delta to the pier is slightly downhill, good sidewalks the whole way, and distance is well under half a mile. It's an excellent hotel for SkyTrain since the station is just a couple of blocks. Here's a Google map with hotel, pier, and SkyTrain listed.

If you're heading out on foot when you arrive, Gastown is a good place to start since it's basically on your doorstep and has plenty of resto options for dinner. Water Street is probably the most popular tourist walking spot after the Seawall - it's got the Steam Clock (gives a show every 15mins) and Gassy Jack statue, with some of our most historic buildings all around the area.

Everything from Old Spaghetti Factory (maximum carbs for minimum price) to Bauhaus (helmed by the only michelin-star-winning chef in the city) and points in-between is available for your dining pleasure - since your son is an adult there are no issues dining anywhere you like (many Gastown restos are not child-friendly).

Could he pass for 13? Maybe with a backwards baseball cap and baggy pants? ;-)

Alternatively, if you yourself are >65 then Concession fares also apply (seniors pay the same as the kids rates I gave above).

Walking from the Delta to the pier is slightly downhill, good sidewalks the whole way, and distance is well under half a mile. It's an excellent hotel for SkyTrain since the station is just a couple of blocks. Here's a Google map with hotel, pier, and SkyTrain listed.

If you're heading out on foot when you arrive, Gastown is a good place to start since it's basically on your doorstep and has plenty of resto options for dinner. Water Street is probably the most popular tourist walking spot after the Seawall - it's got the Steam Clock (gives a show every 15mins) and Gassy Jack statue, with some of our most historic buildings all around the area.

Everything from Old Spaghetti Factory (maximum carbs for minimum price) to Bauhaus (helmed by the only michelin-star-winning chef in the city) and points in-between is available for your dining pleasure - since your son is an adult there are no issues dining anywhere you like (many Gastown restos are not child-friendly).

Nope, I'm not 65 either 55 :)

Thank you so much for the map!! This really helps to know where to go and places to eat. I definitely want to see the steam clock! and I think we will just walk to the pier, do have a suggestion on what time to arrive at the pier? we usually like to board early but don't want to be sitting in the terminal wasting time either though.

Nope, I'm not 65 either 55 :)

Thank you so much for the map!! This really helps to know where to go and places to eat. I definitely want to see the steam clock! and I think we will just walk to the pier, do have a suggestion on what time to arrive at the pier? we usually like to board early but don't want to be sitting in the terminal wasting time either though.

Early or Late - avoid everything in-between like the plague! Since you go through US immigration & customs here, there's an extra step compared to boarding anywhere else. You can drop bags with longshoremen from ~9:30am and if you do, you'll be among the first batch of people to go through Security and CBP preclearance - but those cannot start until the vessel is 'zeroed out' with all current pax verified off the ship. One idiot on a B2B who ignores the notices to get off delays everyone waiting to board.

Usually boarding begins 11am-ish, earlier on a quieter day when there are fewer disembarking pax to process/luggage to remove. So best case for an early arrival is you sit around for 60-90mins, but then scoot right through boarding fast.

My preference is to come late instead - as late as you can. It's even more efficient - you still scoot through all the queues but the added advantage is that there is NO sitting around at all! Since we started boarding late, we've been spending ~20mins total from curb to cabin.

As a tourist, this has the huge advantage that you also get the entire morning to do more sightseeing, have lunch, and perhaps even squeeze in another short attraction (e.g. FlyOverCanada which is a 30min experience right at the pier) before you board. The only loss is your 'free' onboard lunch - and even if you are cruising with e.g. Princess who do a limited-hours sitdown dining room lunch, it's simply not worth the extra queuing time IMO. If you're happy with the buffet, it'll be open whenever you get on board whether that's noon or 3pm.

As long as you show 90mins before the ship leaves, you'll meet all the time requirements for boarding - so take advantage of all that extra available time! Walk over to the pier, drop your bags, then go a-wandering (Seawall scenic walk to Stanley Park is a very leisurely hour - or jump on a 19 bus, or even better hire bikes for half a day to maximise your travel speed while still letting you use the Seawall).

Early or Late - avoid everything in-between like the plague! Since you go through US immigration & customs here, there's an extra step compared to boarding anywhere else. You can drop bags with longshoremen from ~9:30am and if you do, you'll be among the first batch of people to go through Security and CBP preclearance - but those cannot start until the vessel is 'zeroed out' with all current pax verified off the ship. One idiot on a B2B who ignores the notices to get off delays everyone waiting to board.

Usually boarding begins 11am-ish, earlier on a quieter day when there are fewer disembarking pax to process/luggage to remove. So best case for an early arrival is you sit around for 60-90mins, but then scoot right through boarding fast.

My preference is to come late instead - as late as you can. It's even more efficient - you still scoot through all the queues but the added advantage is that there is NO sitting around at all! Since we started boarding late, we've been spending ~20mins total from curb to cabin.

As a tourist, this has the huge advantage that you also get the entire morning to do more sightseeing, have lunch, and perhaps even squeeze in another short attraction (e.g. FlyOverCanada which is a 30min experience right at the pier) before you board. The only loss is your 'free' onboard lunch - and even if you are cruising with e.g. Princess who do a limited-hours sitdown dining room lunch, it's simply not worth the extra queuing time IMO. If you're happy with the buffet, it'll be open whenever you get on board whether that's noon or 3pm.

As long as you show 90mins before the ship leaves, you'll meet all the time requirements for boarding - so take advantage of all that extra available time! Walk over to the pier, drop your bags, then go a-wandering (Seawall scenic walk to Stanley Park is a very leisurely hour - or jump on a 19 bus, or even better hire bikes for half a day to maximise your travel speed while still letting you use the Seawall).

I like the idea of just checking in later then and see more of Vancouver.

So we can just drop our luggage off at the port without actually checking in then go site seeing?

I'm not interested in eating lunch earlier on the ship we can just get lunch before we board the ship or a snack after we board

Thank you for all your help!!

I like the idea of just checking in later then and see more of Vancouver.

So we can just drop our luggage off at the port without actually checking in then go site seeing?

I'm not interested in eating lunch earlier on the ship we can just get lunch before we board the ship or a snack after we board

Thank you for all your help!!

Yup - as soon as bag drop opens, you can hand over your checked luggage (obviously keep anything that might be useful to you in a daypack, especially passports/documentation!). That happens before you do anything else (depending how many ships, there may be a different order of Cruiseline check-in, Security, and CBP - cruiseline check-in tends to be first on busy days but last on others).

Some touristy things open a bit earlier - HOHOs start running a little before 9am, some bike rentals open at 8am in summer and so on - but generally most places only open at 9, so there's not even much of a delay to getting your touring on by stopping by to drop bags first.

Of course, with your hotel so close to the pier you have the option of leaving bags there so you can get out and about even earlier - return to hotel after lunch and then walk down to the pier with your bags. Depending what you do, this may be just as convenient - if you're coming from south or east (Gastown, Chinatown, Yaletown, even Granville Island) the hotel is on your way to the pier.

Yup - as soon as bag drop opens, you can hand over your checked luggage (obviously keep anything that might be useful to you in a daypack, especially passports/documentation!). That happens before you do anything else (depending how many ships, there may be a different order of Cruiseline check-in, Security, and CBP - cruiseline check-in tends to be first on busy days but last on others).

Some touristy things open a bit earlier - HOHOs start running a little before 9am, some bike rentals open at 8am in summer and so on - but generally most places only open at 9, so there's not even much of a delay to getting your touring on by stopping by to drop bags first.

Of course, with your hotel so close to the pier you have the option of leaving bags there so you can get out and about even earlier - return to hotel after lunch and then walk down to the pier with your bags. Depending what you do, this may be just as convenient - if you're coming from south or east (Gastown, Chinatown, Yaletown, even Granville Island) the hotel is on your way to the pier.

Thank you martincath for all your help!! My son is going to be surprised when I know all this stuff! :D

Flight changed we are now getting into Vancouver at 12.04 pm we found a nonstop flight from Atlanta to Vancouver, so that will give us more time to check out the city!! :)

• 1 month later...

I'm looking for more current info (later than 2015). We are flying into YVR arriving @ 10am. Want to take the Canada Line to Waterfront and walk to the ship.

1) Is there a convenient location to exchange US$ for CAN$ to buy the tix for the train?

2) Do I need to buy a 2-zone ticket? I only need one way.

3) How to get to the ship from the Waterfront Station? Is it an easy walk with rolling luggage?

4) What age is the Concession fare for?

Susan

Edited by englander

I'm looking for more current info (later than 2015). We are flying into YVR arriving @ 10am. Want to take the Canada Line to Waterfront and walk to the ship.

1) Is there a convenient location to exchange US$ for CAN$ to buy the tix for the train?

2) Do I need to buy a 2-zone ticket? I only need one way.

3) How to get to the ship from the Waterfront Station? Is it an easy walk with rolling luggage?

Susan

From other posts I see you're on a May 17th departure - a weekday, so yes you do need a 2 zone ticket as you will pass through two zones to get downtown for $4pp base fare. Inbound there's also the airport AddFare of $5pp, so your total is $9pp. While you could change cash, it's much less hassle to just pay with a credit card - even if you do have Canadian notes, sometimes machines are picky and refuse some notes with dirt/creases etc.

From Waterfront, the key is to IGNORE the signs that point to Canada Place. While you can get there from the platform you arrive on, it involves way more hassle of going up and down levels insidethe station. Simply head upstairs and walk out onto Cordova Street. Turn right, follow Cordova a couple of blocks up to Howe - turn right again and you'll see Canada Place a block ahead of you. It's very slightly uphill, but nice and wide sidewalks so very easy with rolling bags.

I note you're using the Singular - if you're a solo traveler, SkyTrain is definitely the way to go if you can manage your bags by yourself. Two of you still see a considerable saving over a cab. Three people and the convenience of a cab starts to look enticing at $35+tip to the pier, fixed rate so no concerns about traffic delays. With 4, it's basically a wash so cab is the more sensible method unless you feel like a walk to stretch your legs after the flight (but NB: unless you're all traveling light, the regular Prius cabs will struggle to fit 4 + big suitcases - Minivan cabs cost the same, but you'll wait a few minutes longer since there are fewer of them). You can pay taxis with credit cards or USD cash - but the exchange rate will be worse than the official rate!

Edit - Whoops, missed the last Q! Age 65+ for Concession rate (only applies to base fare, so $2.75+$5=$7.75pp inbound). Also under 14s if you're traveling with kids (under 5s are free with an adult).

Edited by martincath
grammar

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately, after I learned about it and wanted to use it I found out that Cruise Direct seems to not operate anymore so we've chosen cruise line transfers with our choice air reservations (Celebrity). We did so because of my parents wishes or i would have most likely booked transfers from YVR to Canada Place independently. Does anyone know what Celebrity uses for transfers (bus, taxi, hydrofoil, camel, etc.)?

Almost certainly a coach for post-cruise; pre-cruise if your parents are the only folks arriving on their flight (and no other flights close to the same time) they may get vouchers for a cab ride.

Given the lack of language issues and relative closeness of airport and pier, cruise transfers are of no real benefit in Vancouver - and cost a LOT compared to alternatives... really the only time that the increased cost is of value is when there's a 'US Direct' system in-play, since that saves a lot of time in immigration queues.

Personally I'd consider booking them on a city tour with airport/pier drop or a towncar if they're nervous enough travelers that you feel they'd get stressed queuing up for a cab.

Thanks and we'll be arriving together as a party of six the day of which we usually don't do. My parents will be fine on the cruise transfer even though more money, they are usually total package travelers. I do wish US Direct was still operating since we won't have time to explore what everyone says is one of the greatest cities on earth. Whatever they use we'll be going straight and with no stops to the port/ship.