Yet another cruise cancellation - May 2018

davidandjulia

We have today received a letter from Mr Richard Twynam stating thatour Azamara Quest cruise booked for 28th May 2018 has been cancelleddue to an Azamara travel partner being interested in chartering one of theirvessels for exclusive use for their select group of clients. Mr Twynam furtherinforms that Azamara understands that our cruise holiday is extremely valuableand they want to try to minimize disruptions to their guests, which is why theycreate compensation offers to try to ensure their guests are provided with anappealing alternative when they do have this type of change.

The options are as follows;

A: Re-book on one of the Azamara Club Cruises select sailingslisted (Four sale dates Azamara Journey and eight sale dates Azamara Quest) onlike for like accommodation, at the protected/lowest available rate. Also to receive$500 on board credit per standard stateroom, $1,000 on board credit for suiteswhen rebooking on one of these sailings. In addition, they will cover allnon-refundable air & hotel change/cancellation fees incurred.

B: We may also move to any other voyage at the prevailingrate, and receive a $250 on board credit per standard stateroom ($500 on boardcredit for suites). In addition, they will cover all non-refundable air &hotel cancellation fees incurred.

C: If we are not ready to choose a new voyage, within 30days, we may transfer the booking to an Azamara Open Passage Voyage. Azamarawill hold our deposit and we will receive $100 on board credit per standard stateroom,($250 for suites) when we select a new date according to Azamara Open Passageterms; where combinable and applicable. In addition, they will cover allnon-refundable air & hotel cancellation fees incurred.

D: Should we choose to cancel, a full refund for amountspaid will be processed to the original form of payment; however we will notreceive any of the above compensation. In addition non-refundable air &hotel cancellation fees will also be covered.

In view of previous cruise cancellation debacles whichcaused great concern to those affected, would you consider the optionsavailable to us as being fair?

We are on this cruise also and the following one on 6th June. I also received this notifiction. To be honest without taking into account our B2B which creates some different problems, we feel that the four options are fair and would not leave us out of pocket re expenses at all. Also three of the options have OBC which whilst many say is sometimes worthless, we would upgrade our internet package and look at land excursions if we can find another cruise to suit our requirements.

Yes I am disappointed and yes I will have to sort out flights but I think the offers are fair and I will make the best of this situation and look forward to sailing with them somewhere.

For others who will be travelling long distance to Europe and have fine tuned their trips around this cruise, it may not be so easy to reschedule and I hope that they can work with Azamara to find a solution.

Busy weekend to look at our options now!

We had an Istanbul Embarking cruise this past July cancelled on us instead of changing the port. AZ gave us $500 OBC to switch. We really enjoyed the replacement cruise to the Baltics.

I felt it was adequate compensation. Celebrity only gives you $100 for a cancelled cruise. Period!

So it boils down to do you want to take a cruise they have available or not? At least they're willing to compensate for all non refundable bookings.

Life is how you handle plan B.

We had an Istanbul Embarking cruise this past July cancelled on us instead of changing the port. AZ gave us $500 OBC to switch. We really enjoyed the replacement cruise to the Baltics.

I felt it was adequate compensation. Celebrity only gives you $100 for a cancelled cruise. Period!

So it boils down to do you want to take a cruise they have available or not? At least they're willing to compensate for all non refundable bookings.

Life is how you handle plan B.

I would have been on that cruise as well and never received an offer from Azamara. My bigger problem with that was that I had a great deal on that cruise and would have to cruise on the new itineraries at the new rates. They very easily could have switched Istanbul to Athens and nobody would have cancelled. We wound up booking an Adriati/Dalmation Coast on Constellation followed by a weekend in Cinque Terre and it was one of the better vacations we've ever had. That took some sting away. Also, we were notified on that cruise almost a year in advance. In this case, it's seven months and this is kind of close.

At this point, I think the lesson with Azamara is that you can never be too sure with them. I know this line has its dedicated customer base, but if our Southeast Asia for 2019 falls through, I would never try again with them.

I would have been on that cruise as well and never received an offer from Azamara. My bigger problem with that was that I had a great deal on that cruise and would have to cruise on the new itineraries at the new rates. They very easily could have switched Istanbul to Athens and nobody would have cancelled. We wound up booking an Adriati/Dalmation Coast on Constellation followed by a weekend in Cinque Terre and it was one of the better vacations we've ever had. That took some sting away. Also, we were notified on that cruise almost a year in advance. In this case, it's seven months and this is kind of close.

At this point, I think the lesson with Azamara is that you can never be too sure with them. I know this line has its dedicated customer base, but if our Southeast Asia for 2019 falls through, I would never try again with them.

Even though the replacement cruise was more, I negotiated through my TA to get them to honor my original cruise cost that I deposited a year earlier. Initially they offered me $400 OBC additional to compensate for the $400 increased cost but I refused that because the $400 was real money out of my pocket and only the cost of goods to them. When I held firm I believe my TA shared somehow with their compensation to get me to where I needed to be.

I'm glad I did hold out. I already had $1300 OBC on the ship and wound up with my wife buying a lot of overpriced things she didn't need. lol

I really wanted to visit the Greek Isles and Amalfi coast. While I was disappointed about missing that, the Baltics was an incredible cruise so I'm glad we went with the flow and didn't cancel.

Even though the replacement cruise was more, I negotiated through my TA to get them to honor my original cruise cost that I deposited a year earlier. Initially they offered me $400 OBC additional to compensate for the $400 increased cost but I refused that because the $400 was real money out of my pocket and only the cost of goods to them. When I held firm I believe my TA shared somehow with their compensation to get me to where I needed to be.

I'm glad I did hold out. I already had $1300 OBC on the ship and wound up with my wife buying a lot of overpriced things she didn't need. lol

I really wanted to visit the Greek Isles and Amalfi coast. While I was disappointed about missing that, the Baltics was an incredible cruise so I'm glad we went with the flow and didn't cancel.

That original itinerary we had was amazing. It would have been an amazing cruise and we had that OBC too and a great price. Oh well, we're trying again with Southeast Asia in two years.

The Baltic itinerary is great. We had done it on Royal Princess. The AZ replacement cruise on the Quest was a typical bland itinerary as well. You did well getting what you got.

The compensation seems fair but it’s highly concerning to me that...

- Azamara keeps doing this more and more often, and certainly a lot more than other lines I sail;

- Azamara is now cancelling a cruise less than 300 days before departure, when some people will have booked flights. I had been reluctantly stomaching cancellations over 300 days out, but this is unfortunately a new low.

Floris

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The compensation seems fair but it’s highly concerning to me that...

- Azamara keeps doing this more and more often, and certainly a lot more than other lines I sail;

- Azamara is now cancelling a cruise less than 300 days before departure, when some people will have booked flights. I had been reluctantly stomaching cancellations over 300 days out, but this is unfortunately a new low.

Floris

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have to agree, too many redeployments either to chase more profitable itineraries or due to charters.

It's the standard compensation package they are offering. This close in the level of disruption will be more significant for guests.

I know changes can happen but there have been far too many profit driven changes lately.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I guess when there are only 2 (now 3) ships, you notice charters more than you would on a line like Celebrity that has lots of ships.

I think that is part of it, but there also seems to be a policy toward doing charters on Azamara to fill their ships. Something they are very keen on doing these days. If they can do that whilst achieving a good revenue and no requirement to sale unsold cabins they will. They have obviously found it profitable and lucrative so you can't blame them, but it does really annoy their loyal fans, especially if it orphans a b2b sailing that's been planned. This isn't far away either.

Phil

I guess when there are only 2 (now 3) ships, you notice charters more than you would on a line like Celebrity that has lots of ships.

Also a ship with only room for a few hundred passengers is far more likely to be charted than one with room for thousands.

Also a ship with only room for a few hundred passengers is far more likely to be charted than one with room for thousands.

I should also have said I feel for those affected and it does Azamara no credit at all this close to sailing date.

I think that is part of it, but there also seems to be a policy toward doing charters on Azamara to fill their ships. Something they are very keen on doing these days. If they can do that whilst achieving a good revenue and no requirement to sale unsold cabins they will. They have obviously found it profitable and lucrative so you can't blame them, but it does really annoy their loyal fans, especially if it orphans a b2b sailing that's been planned. This isn't far away either.

Phil

Yes Phil, we are orphans!! We will have to abandon our B2B with the 6th June from Rome.

It strikes me that Azamara were always going to struggle to fully fill both ships based in the Mediterannean /northern Europe area next summer. There are only so many guests looking at that area. Sales were light and they couldnt touch Journey because of the round the world, so Quest it is then!

We agree that the cancellation is too near to sailing date toaccept the request for a charter and we agree with the observation that this decision does Azamara no favours in customer relations and demonstrates a lack of understanding of customer care by management. Again we have the situation that decisions made at management level at Head Office differ greatly with our on board experiences which have greatly influenced our decision to make Azamara our first choice when considering a future cruise in the past.

Our recent back to back cruise on the Journey from Southampton was up to expectation and as a result we had no hesitation in booking the cruise in question whilst on board. However, difficulties concerning flight logistics resulted in us making a move from Azamara to Silverseas for our next winter cruise. This will be our first sailing with this company although of course we will miss our usual Azamara sea going friends. Incidentally, should the pricing guru at Azamara be interested, the cost of the Silverseas cruise compared very favourably with that of a similar cruise with Azamara with advertised greater amenities etc. We will have an open mind and report in due course!

Returning back to the Quest cancellation, we have requested our long-suffering travel agent (yes, they too must be greatly frustrated with the extra work entailed in these cancellations which must influence their decisions when recommending a particular cruise company) what will be the revised price be to change to one of the four chosen alternative cruises. We have asked if we are correct in assuming that the 30% discount on European sailings will still be applied despite the expiration of the offer along with 5% LCV discount for booking on board and the $200 OBC and if the $500 is in addition to this.

Edited by davidandjulia
typo

I have to agree, too many redeployments either to chase more profitable itineraries or due to charters.

It's the standard compensation package they are offering. This close in the level of disruption will be more significant for guests.

I know changes can happen but there have been far too many profit driven changes lately.

So true, so true and as far as the "compensation". Really don't see much if any real compensation which should come in the form of real discounts to the new cruise fare and NOT OBC that in many cases won't be all used and in many cases used just to spend for things not really needed or lost.

In reality OBC is greatly discounted as far at the cruise line is concerned and nowhere near the dollar value described. And, don't forget, the replacement cruises as in the past are extremely limited and determined by azamara to further increase profitability and probably increase sales on poor booking cruises. And, based on the absurd price increases lately, the replacement cruises will cost the customer more in the long run out of pocket. Really see this as usual lately as significant wins for the cruise line and significant losses for the customers that will cost the cruise line in the long run. Extremely poor decisions from the home office and that seems to be the modus operandi lately.

And one more customer issues for those using miles for their air fare and already booked. Yes, Azamara does say they will cover cancellation and rebooking charges but, what about unavailable frequent flyer seats for the replacement cruises?? Mostly people use FF miles for Business Class flights. Does anybody really believe azamara will reimburse customers for the now full Business Class fares which in many cases are in the $5K range each way?? As most knowledgeable users of miles book their Business Class Air at the 330 day mark, they will be flat out of luck by these extremely poor decisions in Miami.

All win win for the cruise line and lose lose for the customer.in the short run and hopefully lose lose for the cruise line in the long run. Only time will tell.

Edited by rallydave

Is it me or are others noticing that many of the core AZ cruisers here seem have been shifting their opinions about AZ's corporate decisions and deciding to add more of the other cruise lines into their mix? Several spout the rapid pricing increases while several cite the way they're handled in cancellation situations.

I wonder if other than Bonnie, corporate is paying attention to the attitude shifts? Since Cruise Critic only represents a small percentage of their cruisers, I also wonder what the non vocal guests are feeling. If the trend of new AZ customers replacing a large percentage of repeat cruisers, as pointed out on this board, what happens to the food chain when they too begin feeling like the previously loyal AZ guest.

I wanted to book an AZ cruise in Oct 2019 however those are not included in the two category upgrade promotion. Had it been, I would have booked as soon as the promotion was first released. As a result, I have four upcoming cruises booked. Two are in an Oceania Concierge cabin. Unfortunately none are on AZ; which I so dearly wish to sail again.

I learned long ago in business that it takes much less money to maintain a top position than to try and regain it after acquiescing to a competitor. Nowadays it's been smooth sailings towards profits despite increased pricing and cut backs for a lot of cruise lines. However like all peeks and valleys, the true test will be what happens when the market economy turns south.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Is it me or are others noticing that many of the core AZ cruisers here seem have been shifting their opinions about AZ's corporate decisions and deciding to add more of the other cruise lines into their mix? Several spout the rapid pricing increases while several cite the way they're handled in cancellation situations.

I wonder if other than Bonnie, corporate is paying attention to the attitude shifts? Since Cruise Critic only represents a small percentage of their cruisers, I also wonder what the non vocal guests are feeling. If the trend of new AZ customers replacing a large percentage of repeat cruisers, as pointed out on this board, what happens to the food chain when they too begin feeling like the previously loyal AZ guest.

I wanted to book an AZ cruise in Oct 2019 however those are not included in the two category upgrade promotion. Had it been, I would have booked as soon as the promotion was first released. As a result, I have four upcoming cruises booked. Two are in an Oceania Concierge cabin. Unfortunately none are on AZ; which I so dearly wish to sail again.

I learned long ago in business that it takes much less money to maintain a top position than to try and regain it after acquiescing to a competitor. Nowadays it's been smooth sailings towards profits despite increased pricing and cut backs for a lot of cruise lines. However like all peeks and valleys, the true test will be what happens when the market economy turns south.

I agree with you. I haven't even been on my first Azamara cruise yet and I wanted to book to Cuba but didn;t. Quite frankly Azamara scares me. I have never seen a business so poorly run in my life. I just booked elsewhere. I go on a cruise to see things and rest not to worry if the cruise will actually sail.

Kathy

I wonder if cruise management, who make these decisions which inconvenience passengers, fully realise the long term ramifications of their decisions.

In 2010, MSC changed a TA to departing from Genoa, Italy to departing Kiel, Germany, which affected many Australians. Because of the distance, many Aussies, like myself, often book ahead, book non refundable long haul flights and land travel etc around their cruises. Since 2010, I no longer do that for cruises, as I lost trust, and now usually book cruises after final payment. I still plan to cruise on a particular cruise, but I no longer book that cruise, with land travel etc, in advance. As travel is my passion, I still travel, but I have reduced the risk.

Ouch![emoji26]

I can understand your disquiet. There really do seem to be some issues at the home office. Having said that shoreside has not matched the on board experience during the whole time I have been sailing with Azamara.

I do hope that once on the ship you experience the service levels and ambience that many of us enjoy so much and don't for a moment regret your booking decision

Agree with these comments having recently returned from 20 days on Quest the onboard experience makes up for the shoreside problems. Although the shoreside operations of most of the cruise lines we have dealt with leave something to be desired.

However in our experience, and we’ve had a few altered or cancelled cruises, Azamara treats is customers fairly in comparison to most cruise lines. Suggest looking at the P&O UK board on CC and look at the threads regarding the cancellation of Adonia cruises following its sale to Azamara, all that was offered was a take it or leave it £100 future cruise credit compare that with Azamara’s offer.

We are recently back from our first Azamara cruise and we thoroughly enjoyed it. We also considered booking a B2B while onboard for September 2019, reading this post makes us glad we didn’t. We fly from the USA and it would be difficult to have flights booked and cruises cancelled. So we’ll just have to wait and see if their business model changes for the better.

Cancelling a May 2018 cruise, which is only 8 months away, is ridiculous IMHO.While their compensation might be ??fair, I think I would be hopping mad if they did this to us. It would be my last Azamara sailing for sure.

It makes we wonder what is the real cutoff if a group approaches Azamara and wants to book a sailing that will take over the whole ship?

Do they have any type of policy that they will not sell out the ship to a higher bidder given others have already booked a sailing?

We have enjoyed our Azamara sailings, but this news makes me leery of Azamara unless they come out with a stated policy when/how they will sell out a sailing and under what circumstances.

Is there adult supervision in corporate realizing when we book sailings we are making a committment of our own time, family, work schedules, travel, house and pet sitting and so many other issues.Not to mention we paid for the sailing expecting them to hold up their end of the deal. Compensations may not offset some of these issues.