Dawn ran aground while leaving Bermuda?

alligeek

[quote name='newmexicoNita']Isn't the media, especially the TV coveage in Boston and the Boston and the Boston Globe usually filled with gloom and doom. To make things worse, so many people actually take everything they see and hear as the whole truth.[/quote]

Boston media isn't too bad. It's mostly balanced. FOX loves to sensationalize just about everything in our area. Channel 7 when they're not trying to throw a jury decision into chaos is pretty sensationalized too. The other two networks are ok. The Boston Herald showed up last night on Google news feed as being an opinion which I died laughing at because they're just as bad as the Inquirer for news.

Unfortunately people do see what they take on the news as reality. It will impact pricing on the Boston to BDA run for later in the season for sure. I'm watching that closely. :cool:

[quote name='BonnieSte']First statement from yesterday:

Statement #1 on Norwegian Dawn

Miami - May 19, 2015 ---

On Tuesday, May 19th at approximately 5:00 pm ET, Norwegian Dawn had a temporary malfunction of its steering system, causing the ship to sail slightly off course as the ship was departing Bermuda, resulting in the vessel making contact with the sea bed. All guests and crew are safe and there were absolutely no injuries.

The ship's officers, engineers and an independent dive team have confirmed the structural integrity of the ship. With high-tide this evening, the ship was floated and moved to a nearby anchorage position where it will remain overnight. The ship will be thoroughly inspected in Bermuda by DNVGL, the ship's classification society, before returning to Boston. The ship is fully operational with the full complement of onboard services available to guests.

The ship is sailing on a seven-night Boston to Bermuda cruise with 2,443 passengers and 1,059 crew. We will provide additional updates in the morning when more information becomes available.

###[/QUOTE]

that was last night. A lot has happened since then.

[quote name='LMaxwell']I asked last night, not sure if it wasn't answered, if you lose the ability to safely navigate a channel (especially a tight channel with very little room for error) why not drop anchor instead of drifting? :confused:[/quote]

I think the ship's speed and the suddeness of the events wouldn't have helped it striking the reef. Dropping the anchor takes time and by the time it caught the ship would have already hit the reef given the aerial images I've seen thanks to the webcam provider in BDA.

[quote name='LMaxwell']I asked last night, not sure if it wasn't answered, if you lose the ability to safely navigate a channel (especially a tight channel with very little room for error) why not drop anchor instead of drifting? :confused:[/quote]
because the anchor would do more damage. its only work when the ship is stationary. its the weight of the chain and the anchor that holds it.

[quote name='mitsugirly']I have seen 2 twitter accounts posted from people on the Dawn at the moment. Are you referring to someone named Rachel?[/quote]

LOL... I'm not going to cause anyone any trouble by naming names here. I'm sure karma will pay the person's inflammatory behaviors back at some point. :eek::D

Nice to follow those two though eh? :)

because the anchor would do more damage. its only work when the ship is stationary. its the weight of the chain and the anchor that holds it.

How would the anchor holding the ship in position do more damage than the ship drifting into and becoming stuck on the coral reef?

I think the ship's speed and the suddeness of the events wouldn't have helped it striking the reef. Dropping the anchor takes time and by the time it caught the ship would have already hit the reef given the aerial images I've seen thanks to the webcam provider in BDA.

Hi, do you have those images (link) to share? That would be interesting. Did it occur just outside the channel and without warning (the power/steering loss). Just curious. All windlass anchors will have an emergency freefall that will get things stopped in a hurry. Maybe it would have helped, or not?

How would the anchor holding the ship in position do more damage than the ship drifting into and becoming stuck on the coral reef?

The ship wasn't sitting still when it hit the ground, it was moving. Dropping the anchor and hoping that it caught and trying to stop such a large object while it was in motion could cause extensive damage to the ship from the jolt. As someone already said, there probably wasn't enough time between them losing power to the thrusters and running aground to get the anchor down anyway.

I have seen 2 twitter accounts posted from people on the Dawn at the moment. Are you referring to someone named Rachel?

This woman isn't asking for interviews. Reporters from various news outlets are tweeting at her, asking for her to call in. She said she can't due to cost from ship/lack of cell service but said they can call her.

LOL... I'm not going to cause anyone any trouble by naming names here. I'm sure karma will pay the person's inflammatory behaviors back at some point. :eek::D

Nice to follow those two though eh? :)

Haha. Gotcha!

smiley-face-thumbs-up.png

Well I'm off to work for a few hours. I hope I get back in time to watch the Dawn be cleared and sail off into the big blue ocean and the Getaway finally get her parking spot. :D I will continue my stalking later. :o

anchors and chains dragged along a reef are incredibly destructive less so the rounded bottom of a ship which distributes the blow over a greater area.

This woman isn't asking for interviews. Reporters from various news outlets are tweeting at her, asking for her to call in. She said she can't due to cost from ship/lack of cell service but said they can call her.

The person I'm talking about IS offering interviews and even gave a number to reach her at. ;)

"My number to reach me at is ------ cabin #----. I am able to do interviews"

"it would be easier if you called me, the number to reach me at is-----"

I'm Twitter illiterate and for the life of me can't understand how it works, so maybe I'm missing where reporters are asking her for the interview. :confused: That may be the case, but she is definitely going along with it if so. If not, then she's definitely offering her "spotlight" time. :p

It's not my definition...it's my common sense interpretation of what NCL would mean when using those words in a press release. Think about Carnival's problems in the not too distant past when there were problems that led to the loss of power and hotel functions. All NCL is trying to do is assure those interested that the passengers are safe and receiving all the usual hotel amenities.

There's no way the ship can be allowed to sail with passengers on board before being cleared by its classification society and local authorities. They are assuring that the ship is "fully functional" from a seaworthiness and safety perspective.

"Fully" functional does not mean the hotel works but the ship doesn't. "Fully" functional means everything works as it should. If that is not the case, and it clearly is not the case here, the ship is not "fully" functional.

You can put whatever positive spin on it that you want, that does not make the ship "fully" functional and you have just admitted it when you acknowledged that they had not yet determined if the ship was safe to sail in deep water away from land.

If the ship was "fully" functional when it left Bermuda, it would not have "temporally" lost steering. They make it sound like a computer glitch. I'll wait to see the official report to see what this "temporary" steering issue really was.

A ship is fully functional when it is able to do everything it was designed for. If all the hotel services are fully functional, then all the hotel services are fully functional. However, all the hotel services being fully functional does not, in of itself, make the ship fully functional.

The person I'm talking about IS offering interviews and even gave a number to reach her at. ;)

I'm Twitter illiterate and for the life of me can't understand how it works, so maybe I'm missing where reporters are asking her for the interview. :confused: That may be the case, but she is definitely going along with it if so. If not, then she's definitely offering her "spotlight" time. :p

If we are talking about the same person, you can click on the post and then "show full conversation." You can see that ABC, WMUR, etc. contacted her first. There were a ton of stations contacting her so she just tweeted her number at one point. She did an interview last night on the 11 PM news and she summarized everything pretty succinctly without any dramatics.

It's the same person, and yeah - she IS asking to do interviews :rolleyes:

Without naming names... you have found the person I was referring to earlier.

Edited by CruisinMaterial

Well then you agree with me

Btw...earshot is different than eyeshot

Even in this day an age being stranded is no fun so it is a good thing if another large cruiser is in very close range

Disagree all you want but it was a good thing for the rccl ship to hang around just in case regardless

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The ship was not taking on water. So there is no need for the Liberty of the Seas to baby sit the Dawn. Given all the attention the Dawn received from people who know a lot more about these things than you do, don't you think that if the Liberty of the Seas was needed for something, it would have stayed?

You are not there. What makes you qualified to question the actions of the professionals on the scene?

It's the same person, and yeah - she IS asking to do interviews :rolleyes:

I'm not going to screenshot someone's account, but I count 7+ news channels, bloggers, etc. that tweeted AT her asking to do an interview and she said yes. Why does this make her a bad person again? I was grateful for her interview last night - she dispelled the whole power loss rumor.

She's not going to be back on Friday at this point. Probably will arrive first thing Saturday morning and that is dependent on the speed she makes going home. Of course this is dependent on the outcome of the assessment by the divers. :cool:

If the Dawn can safely maintain a speed of 20 knots and it leaves by 4pm local time, there is no reason the Dawn will not appear in Boston early Friday morning. It only needs a day and a half to make the voyage - if EVERYTHING is working properly. In other words, if in fact the ship is truly "fully" functional.

This webcam is amazing. I can actually hear the music on the ship, people yelling and cheering and having a good time. I just heard the captain make an announcement, but I couldn't understand what he said.

There is one extremely loud woman on deck having the time of her life!:D

really? I have it cranked up and all I hear is the wind, engines and an occasional horn.

I'm not going to screenshot someone's account, but I count 7+ news channels, bloggers, etc. that tweeted AT her asking to do an interview and she said yes. Why does this make her a bad person again? I was grateful for her interview last night - she dispelled the whole power loss rumor.

This isn't a big deal, you can name names and screenshot accounts. It's a forum.