Heathrow Hotel Recommendation

High C's

I'll post this in the other forums, too, but thought I'd ask here as well: does anyone have a recommendation for a hotel that is convenient to Heathrow Terminal 2? I'm looking for a hotel for the night before our flight home after our British Isles cruise next May.

Many thanks :)

The Sofitel at T5 is quite nice. Try to get a room with an exterior view (rather than one of the interior-facing rooms...which are, I believe, most of them). From T5, you can catch the Heathrow Express for free to T2.

Aside from that, any of the hotels will have a shuttle so I think convenience to T2 will be the same as any other terminal. I believe the Hilton might be physically closest to T2, but could be wrong (I've never actually been to T2).

I had a day room at the Hilton LHR a few years ago. It is accessed via the Heathrow Express airport train (the one that goes between the terminals). It is off the T4 stop and then a covered walkway. It was quite nice. I think any other hotel that says it is "LHR" has to be accessed via the Hoppa Bus or taxi.

The Hilton is at T4.

With the exception of it and the Sofitel, all the other hotels at LHR are outside the airport property. You would need to take either a taxi or the Hoppa bus to get from them to the terminal.

I have personally used both Priceline (name your price) and Hotwire for LHR hotels and have always been quite satisfied. Unless you have status or specifically want a particular brand, they all work quite well for an overnight prior to a morning departure. For example, I recently had booked a Hotwire 4 star and got the Hilton at T4. A prior time, I got the Sheraton. And there are some significant savings to be found versus published hotel rates.

Of course, YMMV.

does anyone have a recommendation for a hotel that is convenient to Heathrow Terminal 2?

For a hotel that is convenient to T2' date=' my choice would be... the Hilton London Paddington. Yep, a good 15 miles from LHR, BUT directly attached to Paddington station, from where one can catch the speedy-but-pricey Heathrow Express (15 minutes to LHR), or the cheaper but slower and equally convenient Heathrow Connect (25 minutes). Best of all, one can stay in town the night before instead of being stuck at an airport hotel (yes, I've done it, and vowed never again).[/font']

I have personally used both Priceline (name your price) and Hotwire for LHR hotels and have always been quite satisfied. Unless you have status or specifically want a particular brand, they all work quite well for an overnight prior to a morning departure.

I also have used Priceline for LHR hotels (always 4*) on numerous occasions and have never paid more than US$100 for a room - Sheraton Skyline, Marriott, Crowne Plaza...

The Hoppa bus is sucky but the cost savings are undeniable.

For the Hilton T4, you have to do a large amount of walking after you get to T4 on Heathrow Express. The covered walkway has signs saying "10 minutes to the Hilton," "4 minutes to the Hilton," etc. It was well signed but I wasn't expecting as long of a walk as I encountered to get to it.

For a hotel that is convenient to T2, my choice would be... the Hilton London Paddington. Yep, a good 15 miles from LHR, BUT directly attached to Paddington station, from where one can catch the speedy-but-pricey Heathrow Express (15 minutes to LHR), or the cheaper but slower and equally convenient Heathrow Connect (25 minutes). Best of all, one can stay in town the night before instead of being stuck at an airport hotel (yes, I've done it, and vowed never again).
Excellent out of the box thinking. Given the time for the Hoppa (especially if you have several stops between your hotel and the airport), you're pretty close to being the same effective "time distance".

The "stuck" can be quite true for the LHR hotels, unless you are willing to walk and know your way to some of the local pubs.

For a hotel that is convenient to T2, my choice would be... the Hilton London Paddington. Yep, a good 15 miles from LHR, BUT directly attached to Paddington station, from where one can catch the speedy-but-pricey Heathrow Express (15 minutes to LHR), or the cheaper but slower and equally convenient Heathrow Connect (25 minutes). Best of all, one can stay in town the night before instead of being stuck at an airport hotel (yes, I've done it, and vowed never again).

This is an excellent recommendation, and fits our needs perfectly. I would have never considered this! Thank you so much! We need to go into London to visit an elderly relative as soon as we check in. This way, it gives us more time to spend with her, yet its still convenient to get to the airport the next day for our flight home. Thank you so much! :)

I've stayed at quite a lot of the "better" Heathrow hotels, apart from the Sofitel, ironic given I fly BA more than any other airline ex-LHR by some margin.

I'd say the Hilton Terminal 5 is a good option, it's often really very reasonable. I've paid as low as £59 for a room from Hilton directly and with Hilton status have been upgraded to Club floor with lounge access, plus free breakfast and it has an excellent Indian restaurant in it. It is across the M25 but really comparable in terms of distance.

The Sheraton Heathrow is also fairly predictable and often very cheap too, £50 from SPG's website. You can get the free buses to the terminals from very close to the hotel. Saves the messing about with the Hoppa. The last time I used the Hoppa (was raining and 5am) it took about 40mins to get to the terminals!

If there's more than one of you don't bother with the Hoppa. Ask for a car to take you to the airport. The Hoppa is I think £5 and takes ages. You can get the car service added to your bill at some hotels so don't need to mess about with coins and it's door to door. I've normally paid between £10 and £15 for it, so it's really only a small amount more than the wretched bus.

I've stayed at quite a lot of the "better" Heathrow hotels, apart from the Sofitel, ironic given I fly BA more than any other airline ex-LHR by some margin.

I'd say the Hilton Terminal 5 is a good option, it's often really very reasonable. I've paid as low as £59 for a room from Hilton directly and with Hilton status have been upgraded to Club floor with lounge access, plus free breakfast and it has an excellent Indian restaurant in it. It is across the M25 but really comparable in terms of distance.

The Sheraton Heathrow is also fairly predictable and often very cheap too, £50 from SPG's website. You can get the free buses to the terminals from very close to the hotel. Saves the messing about with the Hoppa. The last time I used the Hoppa (was raining and 5am) it took about 40mins to get to the terminals!

If there's more than one of you don't bother with the Hoppa. Ask for a car to take you to the airport. The Hoppa is I think £5 and takes ages. You can get the car service added to your bill at some hotels so don't need to mess about with coins and it's door to door. I've normally paid between £10 and £15 for it, so it's really only a small amount more than the wretched bus.

Thank you for this info, and I'll add it to my file for future reference. But we went ahead and took the advice of booking at the Hilton Paddington. Simple reason is that once we get to the hotel from the ship, we had to drop off our suitcases and head straight into London to visit an elderly relative. So this worked out to be a terrific option for us, with a quick delivery to T2 the following day. But I sincerely appreciate your input! :)

The more data points, the more information....all the better in the long run. You never know when you'll need it. All you need is a flypaper brain to hold it all (which Mrs FT says I have, though somehow the grocery shopping list manages not to stick).

The more data points, the more information....all the better in the long run. You never know when you'll need it. All you need is a flypaper brain to hold it all (which Mrs FT says I have, though somehow the grocery shopping list manages not to stick).

LOL - I totally agree!

Excellent out of the box thinking. Given the time for the Hoppa (especially if you have several stops between your hotel and the airport), you're pretty close to being the same effective "time distance".

The "stuck" can be quite true for the LHR hotels, unless you are willing to walk and know your way to some of the local pubs.

Best part of staying at LHR is finding an excuse to go drink at the Green Man

This is an excellent recommendation' date=' and fits our needs perfectly. I would have never considered this! Thank you so much! We need to go into London to visit an elderly relative as soon as we check in. This way, it gives us more time to spend with her, yet its still convenient to get to the airport the next day for our flight home. Thank you so much! :)[/quote']

So glad I could be of help! Tip for your baggage: if you want a cart, make sure you have a pound coin on you, as the ones in the main station are the type requiring a deposit. You can then go get one and probably wheel right up to your room (or at the very least to the Hilton lobby). Then, just return at one of the stands on the platform just before boarding (retrieving your pound coin in the process).

So glad I could be of help! Tip for your baggage: if you want a cart, make sure you have a pound coin on you, as the ones in the main station are the type requiring a deposit. You can then go get one and probably wheel right up to your room (or at the very least to the Hilton lobby). Then, just return at one of the stands on the platform just before boarding (retrieving your pound coin in the process).

Thanks! I hope we don't need a cart, because that would mean that I overpacked AGAIN!!!! My husband has made me swear I will not do this! We'll see....:rolleyes:

Best part of staying at LHR is finding an excuse to go drink at the Green Man
Are you still at that age where you need an excuse??

Went to MCI and Kansas a week or so ago. THAT was an excuse (but then I found the BrewTop and things were better).