Scenic's City Tour in Budapest?

canadarocks

We'll be in Budapest the day before we board Scenic's Jade and I'm trying to figure out what we should see that day. The next day we overnight onboard and then we sail the 3rd evening.

I've chosen Scenic's Free Choice option of the City Tour for the day we actually leave Budapest. I'm hoping someone can tell me exactly what that entails. Will we visit the inside of Parliament, or just drive by? Will we drive by the Szechenyi Spa (just an outside view is all we want). I don't want to visit places the 1st day that the City Tour will take us to on the 3rd.

We enjoyed a Scenic cruise starting in Budapest in July of 2016. We too arrived a few days early and wanted to see some sights not included on Scenic excursions. We booked a private guide through Tours by Locals named Melinda K. She was wonderful! I can't say enough good things about Melinda. We booked an eight hour tour called the Tour of the Danube Bend which took us north of Buda to the small towns of Szentendre and Esztergom. We shared the tour with two of our friends so the price per person was very reasonable for a full day. Melinda has a variety of tour options and can tailor them to your wishes.

We didn't take Scenic's City Tour because we did a 2nd, half day city tour with Melinda. Instead we booked Scenic's Hospital in the Rock tour which we found to be very intersting. It included a bit of a driving tour through Buda and Pest but did not stop at the places you mentioned.

No matter what you choose to do, I'm sure you'll enjoy your Scenic vacation. They far exceeded our expectations. Have a great vacation!

Paul

Ps Should you reach out to Melinda tell her Paul, Jane, Ken & Jean say 'hi'.

• 1 month later...

Hi Paul,

Thanks for mentioning Melinda K. in Budapest. We have two separate Scenic river cruises booked with a healthy gap in between and appreciate the recommendation for a city guide. I'll be sure to say *hi* should we book her.

Do you happen to have any preferences for a Budapest hotel? I think we might stay in Budapest for 4-5 days before moving on to France.

Best Regards from Deep East Texas!

Just a different suggestion....which is that, along with some sort of prearranged city tour by bus, etc., you can visit a good number of the sights in Budapest on your own. We added 2 extra days following an AMS-BUD cruise, and had a great time. It's a very enjoyable city to walk around in, and easy to navigate.

Next time I'd like to do a Danube Bend trip since they sound great and also since our sailing into Budapest was shrouded in fog and overcast weather. Could have been in the middle of Amazon for all we knew until the weather started to clear an hour or two after docking.

Maztoz...I overlooked that you also inquired about a hotel. We stayed at the Boscolo (the hotel that Tauck uses for their extensions). The place was absolutely amazing. I'd highly recommend it! Great location too for exploring the city by walking.

Most Budapest city tours include a trip to Hero's Square, Fisherman's Bastion and a walk around the Buda Castle. You will see the Parliament from the Bastion - but, I doubt you will get inside. If you wish to see it, you should book a tour. There is so much to see on your own in Budapest - and much of it is walkable. Some suggestions (in no particular order...) --> visit the Market, walk across the Chain Bridge and take the funicular up to the Castle (a bit pricey - but a fun thing to do....), go the Hospital in the Rock, visit the Cave Church, go to see the "Shoes on the Danube" memorial, visit the "House of Terror" (sobering, but worth the visit if you have an interest in the history of the area...), visit Statue Park... We have not done the baths - but many people do.

On our last visit there, I booked a Trabant tour (my husband is a car nut....). We were picked up at our hotel in a Trabant, and then went to Statue Park. Our guide stayed with us and explained what we were seeing, and where the statues were moved from. We then went to Gellert Hill - great views... and my husband got to drive!! We ended (by our request) at the market. They have a great strudel stall there - and we wanted to visit it again!!

We will be in Budapest again later this year - and am thinking I would like to visit the Synagogue. I understand it is breathtaking. Also, will be heading back to our favourite restaurant (Café Kor) - as this is a "must do" anytime we are there.

Enjoy!! Budapest is one of our favourite cities in Europe.

Fran

The Chain Bridge is under repair for the next two years. I believe only pedestrian traffic will be allowed and some cruise docks close by, such as Viking’s will be moved down river.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Do you happen to have any preferences for a Budapest hotel? I think we might stay in Budapest for 4-5 days before moving on to France.

Best Regards from Deep East Texas!

Hello again!

We spent a few extra days at the Sofitel Chain Bridge and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The location was convenient to lots of great restaurants and the view the river was wonderful. Based on what I've read here on C.C. there are many great hotels to choose from.

I look forward to hearing about your stay in Budapest and the Scenic cruise. We feel that trip was our best vacation yet. Enjoy!

Paul

Thanks to all for the great suggestions.

Fran,

Fabulous info! Thanks a million.

Paul,

The friends we're meeting in Paris for a Seine cruise have also suggested that Budapest Sofitel, and I really like the location. Sounds like a winner!

So glad you enjoyed Scenic. It was a leap of faith to book two of them at once. Take care, and thanks again.

Edited by maztoz
messy!

Nice! Just took a look, great location and reasonably reasonable.

Sure appreciate the recommendation.

Thanks so much 3-4 !

Yeah...I don't think you'd be disappointed with the Boscolo. The Opera House is a great place to visit as well. Next time we go I think we'll reserve a tour of Parliament. Amazing just to see from the outside though. It takes a good amount of time just to walk all the way around the place....it's gigantic.