Norway - which currency can we use?

We are cruising to Norway in June and would like to know which currency can be used for taxis, stores, attractions, etc

We have USD and Euro. Do we need to buy the Krone? If yes, how much should we take considering we are on a cruise and will most likely only use it for places that don't credit cards?

Do they take Visa in shops and restaurants?

Thank you in advance for your help. Very much appreciated

:D

If you look around the board, this is discussed very regularly. You will be able to use credit cards for just about everything, including taxis. Otherwise you need Danish kroner.

Can't tell you how much (if any) cash you need...we don't know your spending habits.

we usually take NOK I am sure some place may accept Euro but the rates may not be in your favour

USD I do not think so

Some tour operators I am dealing with will take Euros. I plan on taking NOK.

Some tour operators I am dealing with will take Euros. I plan on taking NOK.

the OP asked about stores & attractions so I am guessing they may not take USD then again they may

I usually make the effort to use local currency when we travel

the OP asked about stores & attractions so I am guessing they may not take USD then again they may

I usually make the effort to use local currency when we travel

Having researched Norway for the past few months, no one has mentioned USD.

Only a few tourist souvenir shops take anything other than NOK. You should be able to use a Visa credit card in any shop and nearly any restaurant. If you do not have a chip-and-pin card, you may not be able to use your card in some vending machines (and the transit ticket machines don't seem to like certain bank cards from the UK).

Although places are still required to accept cash (in Norwegian kroner) alongside bank cards, the only times when it's still the norm is when purchasing tickets on board a bus (which costs extra, so it's better to buy them from a convenience store anyway) and some public toilets. (Even transferring money between friends or payments at informal markets like craft fairs have mostly moved to digital solutions.)

You can believe Kaisatsu that virtually anything you want to buy in a store can be done by CC. In fact many vendors will encourage you to use your CC rather than cash for even small purchases. On my last trip to Norway-Sweden 2 years ago, I got my usual local currency for incidentals and then had a hard time spending it. Had to convince restaurants on my last night in each country to accept cash for part of the bill.

Off to a Norwegian cruise in 2 months (see you soon Coral) and I may get only a handful of NOK even for 2 weeks.

Only a few tourist souvenir shops take anything other than NOK. You should be able to use a Visa credit card in any shop and nearly any restaurant. If you do not have a chip-and-pin card, you may not be able to use your card in some vending machines (and the transit ticket machines don't seem to like certain bank cards from the UK).

Thanks Kaisatsu very informative

I may not take as many NOK as I planned

Do places have the wave or Tap machines for CC ??

We do see the question often on most of our Ports boards but I get it.

The first thing that comes into my mind as someone from a family of small business owners (originating when cash was the only way) I think of how it was when someone mistakenly hand over a Canadian quarter; no sale. Had it been any other type of currency, well you get the picture.

One might think “oh but it’s American dollars!” Yes and in some countries that truly matters if their currency is tied to ours. Norway’s is not, nor is most of Europe. We wouldn’t arrive in England or France planning to use dollars and we can’t use them in Norway either.

Things get more prickly 😜 when it comes down to sorting out which “dollars” and “krone” can be used where but putting the first letter of the country ahead of the dollar sign helps point in the right direction.

But indeed, as everyone else has stated, the cards truly work everywhere. I only keep small amounts of currency on hand for little items like water, coffees, snacks etc from kiosks or whatever. Most of Europe is far more advanced than us in that way. They had chips in cards over 20 years ago too.

Oh and small amount of cash will be more in Norway as things are just more expensive but it’s not for nothing that Norway is amazing in every way. Have a wonder cruise 🚢😊 🇳🇴

Thanks Kaisatsu very informative

I may not take as many NOK as I planned

Do places have the wave or Tap machines for CC ??

Some do. I feel that it hasn’t been as popular here as elsewhere in Europe. Perhaps because transactions over a small limit (200 NOK I think) require you to enter your PIN anyway, so people tend to just use the traditional chip.

Some do. I feel that it hasn’t been as popular here as elsewhere in Europe. Perhaps because transactions over a small limit (200 NOK I think) require you to enter your PIN anyway, so people tend to just use the traditional chip.

Thanks again

Our cards have both options

Thank you for your responses. I wanted to make sure before we buy the krone because the exchange through our bank is .13 so I wonder how much we need to take if 300 krones is around $40 ? :o

So that means we would have to take about 2,000 krones since it's going to be a few stops. We mostly want it for taxis and small purchases. We will definitely pay with credit card as our first option.

So just to have an idea, if anyone is able to help with this: what would it cost in krones for a coke? just to pick something simple

Holy Somolies! TEN bucks for a beer.?!!? I can't even imagine what a glass of wine would cost. :eek:

I guess our free classic alcohol package on the Eclipse just became an even better deal than we realized.

I have always found the Big Mac index to be a good measure of price range in a country.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/274326/big-mac-index-global-prices-for-a-big-mac/#0

Though I am a little bit surpriced to see that Denmark is much lower on the list compared to Norway and Sweden and even lower that the US, but not much.

Thank you for your responses. I wanted to make sure before we buy the krone because the exchange through our bank is .13 so I wonder how much we need to take if 300 krones is around $40 ? :o

So that means we would have to take about 2,000 krones since it's going to be a few stops. We mostly want it for taxis and small purchases. We will definitely pay with credit card as our first option.

So just to have an idea, if anyone is able to help with this: what would it cost in krones for a coke? just to pick something simple

Taxis take bank cards. They cost a fortune. A 15-minute 4km taxi ride typically costs around 250 NOK.

What constitutes a "small purchase"?

Prices of things that typically require cash:

Public toilet - 10-15 NOK

Local bus ticket purchased on board - 30-60 NOK

Some "small" things:

Coffee at a convenience store - 25 NOK

Espresso drink at a coffee shop or bakery - 35-50 NOK

Pastry from a convenience store - 25 NOK

Pastry from a coffee shop or bakery - 35-50 NOK

Hot dog from a convenience store - 30-45 NOK

Sandwich at a convenience store - 50-75 NOK

Sandwich at a cafe or take-away - 75-100 NOK

0.5 L bottle of soda or water - 30 NOK

Holy Somolies! TEN bucks for a beer.?!!? I can't even imagine what a glass of wine would cost. :eek:

I guess our free classic alcohol package on the Eclipse just became an even better deal than we realized.

Alcohol is one of the most expensive things. There are several cultural phenomena that have grown out of the the high cost of alcohol.

Here are some rough alcohol prices:

0.5 L can of beer (local pilsner) at a grocery - 30-35 NOK

0.4 L draft beer (local pilsner) - 65-85 NOK

0.33-0.4 L draft craft beer - 90-120 NOK

Glass of house wine - 75-90 NOK

Glass of select wine - 90-150 NOK

Bottle of wine at the Vinmonopolet (wine monopoly) - actual cost + 75 NOK (alcohol tax is assessed by ABV, not price)

Bottle of wine at a restaurant - 450 NOK and up (typically starting around 500-550)

Cocktail (with strictly-measured pour) - 90-150 NOK

I have always found the Big Mac index to be a good measure of price range in a country.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/274326/big-mac-index-global-prices-for-a-big-mac/#0

Though I am a little bit surpriced to see that Denmark is much lower on the list compared to Norway and Sweden and even lower that the US, but not much.

One of my favorite ways to explain to new travelers the relative cost of things in different countries. On my way back to Norway this summer, love the country, hate the prices but that’s the world of travel.

Hi

I'll be on the Sapphire Princess in June.

RE credit cards in Norway -- neither of my cards (Visa & MC) have pin numbers although both have chips. This seems to be the norm in the USA.

Is this going to be a problem in Norway?

Hi

I'll be on the Sapphire Princess in June.

RE credit cards in Norway -- neither of my cards (Visa & MC) have pin numbers although both have chips. This seems to be the norm in the USA.

Is this going to be a problem in Norway?

You won’t be able to use it in vending machines or unstaffed sales points, but any shop or restaurant with a human should be able to take it. Since people may not be used to it at non-touristy locations, it may be a bit confusing to them that you have to sign, but it should be possible. And it’s a good idea to keep a pen handy, since they may not have one readily available.